Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Yes, although Carnival also dropped the prices for their on-board bottled water to reasonable levels at the same time. THAT I can totally understand. I would not mind paying, say, 50% more for a case of water than at a grocery store. But NCL's markup is more like 1000% (e.g. I think they want like 40 dollars for a 12 pack.)
Has anyone called NCL and asked if they are going to lower the price of water on board the ships?

Yes, although Carnival also dropped the prices for their on-board bottled water to reasonable levels at the same time. THAT I can totally understand. I would not mind paying, say, 50% more for a case of water than at a grocery store. But NCL's markup is more like 1000% (e.g. I think they want like 40 dollars for a 12 pack.)

Of course the fact that the financing and operational costs of a billion dollar cruise ship far exceed those of your grocery store might just have something to do with the price difference.

Well that and the more than 400m in stock that NCL is going to hand out to employees as an incentive. I mean SOMEBODY has to pay for that.

Edited by SeaShark

I could understand if water was not readily available on board (I fill reusable containers at the dispensers in the buffet), but it is, and I also ask for a pitcher of water and iced tea daily to be in my stateroom and keep it in the mini fridge. I'm not diabetic, but like to have water in my cabin.

My mistake maybe. I was under the impression that you couldn't use your own refillable containers at the buffet due to health reasons......Maybe it was for another cruise line or maybe someone's opinion. As long as I don't end up with "cruise ankles" then all is good. Thanks for the tip on that :)

At ... the safety and security of our guests and crew is our top priority. To ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for all ... To provide our guests with a smoother and faster embarkation experience ... in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of ...

Why is NCL continuing to overcharge & raise the prices sold onboard & online ? I get it, strictly for our convenience ... I think not.

Wait, most importantly, higher margins for shareholders - could that be the hidden motive for a better bottom line ... indirect results, not going to hurt it, for sure.

"Another Reason to Yell TGIF", yeah right! Offers extended - email just arrived. NCL Public Relations, now that you've done your semi-annual reporting here on CC. Next. Go away :mad:

If you think some of us - not subscribing to the beverages program - will buy a 12 oz. highball glass worth of soda, topped with chopped ice for $3.25 + 18% each & every time; or, pay $4 to $5 onboard for a bottle of purified municipal tap water - think again.

Sadly, the worst is yet to come ... as there are other opportunities ahead to repackage the product.

Wow, NCL. You come here and blatantly lie to our faces. Did you plan all along to post to us the "safety and security " thing? Why don't you treat us like the loyal and intelligent customers that we are and just tell us that it is for revenue enhancement. That's what you'd tell your shareholders. :mad:

Has anyone called NCL and asked if they are going to lower the price of water on board the ships?

Come on NCL, if you're in it to win it, you better learn to play the game.

Stop the BS and give it to us straight, "we need more money so this is what we're doing" or, "Pepsi has lodged a complaint due to the lack of sales of our products and it's just easier to stop everything brought aboard"

I think this would be an appropriate addition to NCL's attached statement:

Dear valued guest. In conjunction with this policy change, we at NCL corporate, encourage each of you to consume four soft drinks or bottles of water each day on you cruise. In doing so, NCL will then collect an additional $82 from you on a 7 day cruise, most of that being pure profit for us. Of course, there will still be the additional 18% gratuity charged to each of you for those purchases. And, we sincerely wish that this additional charge we call a "gratuity" could actually be given to the members of the NCL crew that actually serve you these beverages. However, that would be way too much money for them. So, we do retain the large portion of that gratuity charge as company profit for NCL. And here at NCL corporate we did consider reaching a fair compromise with you, our valued guests, with the implementation of this new policy. We considered reducing the on board price of our beverages to a very fair $1, of which we would still make over 100% profit with each sale. However, we decided against that. We considered it and then thought why, as we realized where else are you going to be able to get these products except from us! Thank you for sailing with us. Look forward to serving you again soon. The NCL Corporation

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our top priority. To ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for all, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board the company’s ships either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

To provide our guests with a smoother and faster embarkation experience, we will be implementing this updated policy effective July 15. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

We thank our guests for their understanding, cooperation and compliance with this change. More information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-...r-soda-onboard

Norwegian Cruise Line

www.ncl.com

Seems like a desperate measure. Frank had to do something. NCL's share price is off its 2015 highs by about 33%. Was trading around $60 and now it's trading around $40. Can't raise cruise prices or you won't sell out the ship. So it's nickel and dimeing instead. What will it be next.... Guesses?

My mistake maybe. I was under the impression that you couldn't use your own refillable containers at the buffet due to health reasons......Maybe it was for another cruise line or maybe someone's opinion. As long as I don't end up with "cruise ankles" then all is good. Thanks for the tip on that :)
Just make sure you refill the container using the glasses and not from the tap (that is where the health issue comes in). My ankles usually swell and I've never had an issue on a cruise ship and I drink their water and iced tea.

If the change is for security purposes, what about a bottle of shampoo and conditioner? Is this no longer allowed? Conditioner is not provided unless in a suite. There's many people, including myself who simply cannot get a comb through their hair without it. Do they sell it onboard?

Also, not sure about the security thing. How is it ok to pay corkage on a bottle of wine that hasn't been opened and that's safe but a can of coke is dangerous? The airline security personnel certainly don't say that a 750 ml wine bottle is ok to go through security.

Edited by littlelulu01

Am I missing something? If this is truly a security issue...why isn't it being implemented 'immediately'?

Port security screening of carry-on items are done mostly, if not all of it, by terminal contractors locally - not NCL crews as blantatly lied to here.

Perhaps, they need the time to inform the unionized dock workers ... just saying.

Less work for the security officers onboard & fewer resources for the naughty room.

Oops - less cash tipping for those cases of bottled water & soda being loaded by giant forklifts at the ship terminals. And, more service charges for NCL. It is a win-win for somebody.

Can a 3-1-1 rule be just over the horizon ? One of our SIL who cruise with us is known to pack her own 16 oz. liquid ... shampoo & conditioner. NCL can expand its gift shops onboard to profit and to sell them but I sure don't even want to guess the price markup, even without the extra 18%.

Edited by mking8288

I have always brought on soda. Do they still require everyone in the cabin to purchase the soda plan, or can just one person do it? Can you get cans or just glasses?

AFAIK they have never required everyone in the cabin to purchase the soda plan. Of course that change may already be in the making.:eek:

Daaaaaaaaaaang people are going to be PISSED!

wow, so many responses already and the news just broke. I am not surprised that people are upset, but I have been expecting this for months if not years and I don't understand why people should expect to bring their own water and soda on board. The company. like most companies are in the business to make money and they have a beverage package for non alcohol consumers.

You can, but you need to use the provided glasses in order to fill your bottle, instead of putting your own bottle right against the machine.

When I saw this thread, I was expecting NCL to have couched this new rule as a security measure, and I wonder whether security concerns may in fact have played a role. But since NCL hasn't explained it that way, it does come across as very passenger-unfriendly and another money grab. NCL is a business, and I'd like them to make money and stay in business, but this is pretty unfriendly.

They did.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#why-change-beverage-policy

I think the real reason (other than vodka smuggling) is that bottled water produces nothing but waste onboard. They have filtered water available everywhere, so bringing bottled (filtered) water just means that there are bottles that the ship has to carry back to Miami (or wherever) and then dispose.

For those who think NCL water prices are absurd, read what AquaFina (i.e. non-flavored, non-carbonated Pepsi) is (bold is mine). You're buying a plastic bottle.

Aquafina® originates from public water sources and is then purified through a rigorous, seven-step process called HydRO-7™. This is a state-of-the-art process that includes reverse osmosis and other filtering and purification methods. It removes things like chlorides, salts and other substances that can affect a water's taste.

Every bottle of Aquafina® is produced at one of our water purification centers through the HydRO-7™ process. That's how you know you're getting pure water and perfect taste consistently every time you open an Aquafina®. Anytime, anywhere.

From http://www.aquafina.com/en-US/faq.html

Edited by xriva

I sent them an e-mail . No I don't believe my silly communication will do any good unless there are lots of angry responses .

I told them don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining . Didn't really , just like saying that . :D

I wrote , "congratulations , you got me for this cruise but not the next !"

They responded with

"Thank you!

Your form was submitted successfully, please allow 3 business days for a response.

Norwegian Cruise Line Pre Cruise Guest Relations"

Edited by richstowe

AFAIK they have never required everyone in the cabin to purchase the soda plan. Of course that change may already be in the making.:eek:

I found the answer on MyNCL where you can purchase the soda package for $88.50. They do require everyone in the stateroom to purchase the package. Heaven forbid that two people share a soda!

Anyone know how much a can is from the cabin fridge?

Am I thinking waaaay outside the box.... yes I am.... however, if you think about it:

Interesting that NCL changes a policy concerning "bringing bottled water on board" and citing security concerns however allows drones to take off \ land on her ships?!?

The Escape is still in Florida water so I am interested in knowing if NCL can be held liable for violating the state's “Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act.”: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0900-0999/0934/Sections/0934.50.html

My understanding is the "pilot" of the drone was a passenger on the Escape (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373238):

Edited by esm54687

Pepsi is sold exclusively on NCL and yes there is a difference personally though for me this would not make or break my vacation. This is probably 2 things and again just speculation but one is more than likely a security safety issue. With everything going on in the world right now this may be one of the reasons why. The other would be too many people take advantage of it and don't just bring in the water and it is other things. NCL is very inexpensive compared to some of the other cruise lines. I think it has come a very long way and it has become my favorite. Their Service, Food, and ships are perfect and I truly enjoy them. What brand of Soft Drink that is on a cruise would not be why I would choose that cruise line. Again, others are different and I understand that, but who knows maybe they will change it? This one though I feel is more security/safety issue than anything else.

I sent them an e-mail . No I don't believe my silly communication will do any good unless there are lots of angry responses .

I told them don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining . Didn't really , just like saying that . :D

I wrote , "congratulations , you got me for this cruise but not the next !"

They responded with

"Thank you!

Your form was submitted successfully, please allow 3 business days for a response.

Norwegian Cruise Line Pre Cruise Guest Relations"

At least you got the auto-reply. I sent my comments at 7am and didn't get that. Now I feel totally cheated! :p :D

(and, no, don't think my comments will do a bit of good other than making me happy for sending it on.) ;)

It's not just the newbies that "let NCL get away from it" .... you, a seasoned veteran, locked yourself into 2 CruiseNext certificates fully aware of the changes NCL has been making and with a reasonable expectation that more changes would still be made. :confused::confused:

Well actually I bought my cruise next certs about 5 or 6 changes ago when IMHO Ncl was a better value and offered me more...but I only take free wifi as a perk...book insides...among other things and I don't care for ubp or sdp etc and will pay for water....because I feel my cruises are cheap enough and don't ever have huge bills at the end....I travel so much that partying hardy and drinking into oblivion are not my choice....the gorgeous ports and water and historic sites and nightly entertainment are the reasons I cruise.....and I don't NEED to travel to de stress....I travel for fun and family time....

For example....when I bought the certs...the ubp was free with no 18 % extra

The sdp was udp

Dsc was lower

No room service fee

I thinks that's it but may have left out something....

And I'm not a mind reader so to hypothesize about future Ncl changes at that point would have been plain stupid....

Regardless I bought the certs because at the time the product Ncl was better and more inclusive and cheaper....

Now not so much so my point is those certs are not getting me what was promised when I bought them

Doesn't mean I'm asking Ncl to refund them....it just means I'm probably not buying any more....definitely looking at celebrity and rccl....

Ncl is no longer my 1st choice that's all

What I am suggesting is that asking for a refund of previously purchased cruise next certs is a ....very valid...argument considering Ncl changed the rules after they were purchased

Bottom....cert holders are not getting what they thought they were sold

Posters will debate this and say it is a minor issue....and that is what Ncl hopes for....but really take off the blinders folks and dump the kool aid down the drain

Become a savvy proud knowledgeable consumer!!!!

Edited by luvtheships