Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I would be the opposite, I hate Coke products and I am a Mtn Dew drinker. One of the main reasons I actually like NCL is that they don't sell Coke. Not quite sure why all cruise lines just don't offer both brands and then they would have something appealing to all customers. Same thing with the rootbeer sold by coke it contains caffeine, while the rootbeer Pepsi sells does not. My sister can only drink rootbeer with out the caffeine.
A cruise line probably could sell both, but their prices would go up quite a bit. They have an exclusivity contract with one of the distributors to get a lower price, just like all fast food companies, restaurants and even Disneyland.

Out of curiosity, what do people do when they go to a restaurant and they server Pepsi instead of Coke?

Edited by NLH Arizona

Guys I'm sailing on July 10th from Barcelona! Can I bring water bottles with me? Please asnwer :s

Do you even read?

https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Effective July 1, 2016, for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

Edited by triptolemus

I am not totally surprised by this new policy but always a bit surprised on how low NCL will go to treat their customers poorly.....and I do not bring on pop or water. The policy statement has some holes in it; what 'best travel practices' are they referring to, certainly not the airlines. It is not consistent with the airlines policies; i.e. you can bring your own wine on if it is corked??? So what other 'best practices' are you referring to; inquiring minds would like to know for our own safety.

Really nice list Sizzlechest (post #41); it is a bit surprising when it is all listed out like you did, thank you. I am sure there will be more in the future. NCL has not been delivering the product a customer signed up for in good faith, for a few years now. They hide under their T &C but that doesn't make it right.

It appears NCL is being more reactive than proactive if their profits are much lower as was stated here, not taking care of the customers they already have. Hasn't it been proven that is costs more to get back a lost customer than to get a new one? I believe the same thing happened to Carnival a few years back; no repeat customers and look what happened to them.

I am voting with my dollars, I encourage others to do the same. There are other cruise lines that have better value and product now.

Of course, this is all MHO. Safe cruising all!!! :)

Edited by Cruisercl

Tap water on a cruise ship is desalinated ocean water. It has 10 times more sodium than regular tap water and added chlorine.

I was on a cruise in 2014 where I wanted to be healthy and frugal, so carried a nalgene bottle that I filled with ice and water at the buffet. I try to stay hydrated, so drank quite a bit of water. By day 4, my fingers and ankles has swelled so much I lost mobility in both. Ever since, I've always had a package that included bottled water (celebrity) or brought my own (ncl).

I'll be speaking with my doctor about getting a medical waiver. I shouldn't have to pay that much more for *water* because of a medical issue.

Of course, you have been a loyal NCL cruiser since 2009 - it might make sense to experience others before being certain that NCL is the best. I give them another try every few years, and each time I find them further below the others.

We will in the future. I left RCCL over service issues, but would certainly like to try X in the near future. I would even give RCCL another shot - I'm not opposed to that. Right now, NCL is the only line that allows under 21's to drink with parental consent, so here we will stay for at least another year.

My, how quick this has taken off!! I just got my email... I was planning on taking some Coke. And by Coke, I don't mean dark, caffeine laden soda. I mean Coca Cola! I'm just not a pepsi gal. I can drink it, just don't prefer it. Especially with my Malibu... Oh well. :( The worst part is really policy starts 2 days before I sail!!

Edited by timberlysmom

What? That is baloney. I am a divorced woman in my 50's who travels in suites. But I am very frugal in my daily life. I do not use credit cards, I have an 11 year old vehicle that just turned 100k miles. I use coupons everywhere. I do not throw away money and I look for value everywhere.

There are many people in suites and the haven like me. We are not more rich or want to throw money away than someone who cruises in insides, more often, who buy new cars every two years.

If you look for the value everywhere like you say then you are making a big mistake not utilizing credit cards for at the very least the cashback option...

A cruise line probably could sell both, but their prices would go up quite a bit. They have an exclusivity contract with one of the distributors to get a lower price, just like all fast food companies, restaurants and even Disneyland.

Out of curiosity, what do people do when they go to a restaurant and they server Pepsi instead of Coke?

First "exclusive contract" comment....what about 5 Guys Burgers and the many chains who now offer the super selection machines with both Pepsi and Coke products? Yes, they probably pay a bit more to have both but NCCL is now forcing all passengers to accept Pepsi products or go without.

Second, I've raised the issue of no Coke products in popular chains like Applebees and have been told that I can bring in my Coke product of choice (love you, Coke Zero) since they don't offer it on their menu. If there is no option to bring in a Coke, we just drink tap water.

We don't enjoy lugging soda and water onboard and are more amenable to purchasing Coke products on board that to be given no choice at all. We all have a choice and a voice. We purchased our Coke product of choice on our last cruise, every day.

This is going to really effect me and I am not happy. I drink 2-3 litres of sparkling water each day. I am diabetic too, cannot drink drinks full of sugar and react to aspartame in diet drinks. We take water with us everywhere we do, and my husband and I probably drink a litre through the night as well.

The water they offer as a pack is a) extortionate b) not sparkling

In the UK I cannot cancel without losing my deposit, and I have already booked my flights, but I am seriously looking at my alternatives.

:mad::mad::mad:

Anyone know how much a can is from the cabin fridge?

mking8288 posted so many images on a recent Breakaway review including a mini bar pic. The soda was $2.95. On the Epic, they have/had (a year and several years ago) drink dispensers in the gym and arcade area that were a little cheaper. The sodas came in aluminum bottles (same volume, I think) with screw on lids which work much better for DH as he only sips at them.

What? That is baloney. I am a divorced woman in my 50's who travels in suites. But I am very frugal in my daily life. I do not use credit cards, I have an 11 year old vehicle that just turned 100k miles. I use coupons everywhere. I do not throw away money and I look for value everywhere.

There are many people in suites and the haven like me. We are not more rich or want to throw money away than someone who cruises in insides, more often, who buy new cars every two years.

Relax. The poster you are responding to was responding to someone who referred to him/herself as an <ahem> "upper tier" passenger because they booked a suite :rolleyes: utterly ridiculous, and they deserved the tongue lashing they received.

If you look for the value everywhere like you say then you are making a big mistake not utilizing credit cards for at the very least the cashback option...

I haven't paid for a flight in years because of credit card points. I have never paid one cent in interest, either. It all gets paid at the end of the month. :D

I haven't paid for a flight in years because of credit card points. I have never paid one cent in interest, either. It all gets paid at the end of the month. :D

Exactly. That's the key. Credit cards are not bad - they are a great tool if you know how to properly use them. They get a bad rap because people don't understand that you actually have to pay them off or you'll be charged interest. If you pay off your balance every month you can reap numerous rewards.

Refresh me memory;

NCL only has Pepsi products?

Nothing worse than a Rum & Pepsi:(

I used to think the same but after a couple it doesn't matter (and rum does mix with other mixers, a rum and cranberry is potable, especially if using spiced rum).