Oosterdam or Zuiderdam - need help to decide

grayjay

We are considering a cruise on either Oosterdam or Zuiderdam in a Signature Suite (cat. SY) or a balcony cabin at the rear (aft, cat. VB).

The problem I'm facing right now is the fact that Zuiderdam is a bit more expensive with a slightly better itinerary, but has the worst reviews I have read for a while. Most writers recall worn carpets and broken tiles, dirty furniture and several have called it a rust bucket. :eek:

Even if we always take reviews with a grain of salt - it's a bit disturbing to read about this. So which of the ships should we choose?

We have mostly had balcony staterooms so far. This time we are trying to decide between a VB stateroom for looking at the wake ( we love that) or a SY Signature suite which would give us more space and more Mariner points. It's again a difficult decision.

Help needed! Thank you!

Itineraries aside, OODM has a recent drydock with changes made to suites and entertainment venues.

We are just recently off the OODM in a Neptune suite and must say it was very much to our liking..........big screen interactive TV, fresh furnishings, other additions and multiple plug ins for USB and electrical.

I believe that continued with the Signature suites as well. However, from what we heard and saw, the regular cabins had not been redone with the exception perhaps of the TVs - still worn and tired. Perhaps it's one of those ongoing updates while at sea........don't know. Crew was excellent as well.

Zuiderdam hasn't had this update, so dependent on importance of itinerary and timing, I'd probably go with the OODM. We were on the ZDAM twice last year and liked her as well, but right now OODM is our preference, itinerary aside.

FWIW,I have been on both ships.

Our experience on the Zuiderdam was wonderful.

Our experience on the Oosterdam was ok, but we found the crew "cold" for lack of a better word. It didn't appear to be a happy ship.

Friends of ours cruised on the O while we were on the Westerdam and their experiences were contrary to our great experiences.

I can't speak to worn carpets, just what we experienced.

I'd pick the Zuiderdam over the Oosterdam if the itineraries were the same.

Our favourite Vista ship remains to be the Westerdam. Especially if Captain Van Eerten is at the helm. He has excellent staff. The ship is happy and there is a BIG difference ;)

What is the difference in the itineraries?

We were just on her for 24 days - and she was getting repainted from top to bottom as we moved along. Brand new paint job on her entire hull was accomplished while she was docked in various ports so she looks pretty buff now.

There will always be rust and there will always be items in need of painting. Fact of sea life. She was in good shape -a bit dreary in decor and not our favorite ship, but she delivered all basics in good order. Those negative reviews you read (too) where unnecessary, harsh and over the top. She sailed well and it was a very comfortable HAL cruise.

Vista ship Signature suites are the best cabin offering out there, for the price - Oosterdam or Zuiderdam.

Edited by OlsSalt

Our experience on the Oosterdam was ok, but we found the crew "cold" for lack of a better word. It didn't appear to be a happy ship.

Same experience here. Been on both (within the last 18 months) and thought the Zuiderdam's crew was the best in the fleet. Oosterdam's crew was "OK", nowhere near as good as the Z's though.

Both ships were in good condition I thought.

Thank you to all who answered so far - I'd love to hear more as it is still difficult to decide.

The newly refurbished Signature suites on Oosterdam are a big plus.

Both cruises we are considering are transatlantics - one is out of Tampa ( never been there) to Barcelona with some Spanish ports thrown in ( been there as well, but always nice to go again). The other is out of FLL to Copenhagen with a more northerly route. Both offer two days on the Azores which is the main reason we're interested in doing the cruise.

Oosterdam sails end of March which is early for the atlantic, Zuiderdam 3 weeks later but going through the English channel which can be worse in April...

We were on Oosterdam last month and Zuiderdam a year ago, both after their respective dry-dock.

Oosterdam has recieved a much more thorough refurbishment, and is almost a new vessel in some areas, including Billboard onboard, Gallery bar, redone lido,...

Zuiderdam should also have had such an extensive redo, as it was much needed, although her new colourscheme is very elegant, and much more subdued than her initial garish colour palette.

Regarding the crew, we found the Oosterdam crew at least as attentive as onboard Zuiderdam, and Westerdam crew ( October 2015) somewhat less personnal. Mind you, crew composition changes all the time.

Ps. Capt. Van Eerten is no longer on Westerdam I believe. He is going on either Zaandam or Volendam from what I read.

We were on Zuiderdam this March and she was not in the best shape. We still had a great cruise.

It was disclosed by an officer that when it was in drydock, there was a strike so much of the scheduled work could not be done and will not until the next drydock.

We had an aft balcony 8143 I think under the aft pool. The a/c in our stateroom was out the second night and worse there was a horrible smell like burnt rubber. The cabins below ours were affected before and after ours was fixed. It was not horrible but I might not book an aft on her again.

We made friends with people who were on HAL for the first time and disappointed with the ship. I found myself telling many not to judge HAL by the Zuiderdam because our other HAL ships were in much better condition.

The crew was wonderful, good great, and we had a great time even though the ship was not in good shape.

We did the 17 day transatlantic in the spring on the Zuiderdam the outside of the ship was a work zone the whole time except for

our day in Amsterdam when the crew had family onboard.

We like to walk the Promenade deck twice a day and did but without exception work was being done chipping metal,hammering,soldering,welding and painting.There was always crew out sweeping and hosing the deck but the deck was often slippery and covered with metal debris not an enjoyable walking surface.We like to be on the Promenade deck even though we have a balcony this trip we never sat on the Promenade deck once.

The interior of the ship was fine and we were well treated by all the staff.The food was well prepared and hot.We just did not have the outside quiet,clean air and clean deck we are used to on HAL.I would chose the Oosterdam.

Thank you for all your replies which were really helpful. Thus we decided to definitely choose the Oosterdam - but as the prices we were given differed 25% - with or without the Explore4 package - we were not happy with HAL's policy of giving "free" gifts with a price tag attached later and haven't booked yet. It might be better to wait for last-minute prices and then pay for drinks etc. ourselves.

But Oosterdam will definitely be a ship we'll be keen on sailing on.

I have been on both ships: Zuiderdam and Oosterdam [before drydock] and will be on them again this winter season. I can see no real difference - other than the décor.

Ps. Capt. Van Eerten is no longer on Westerdam I believe. He is going on either Zaandam or Volendam from what I read.

Not to hijack the thread - but the good captain said in his talk [Q&A] during April/May itinerary that if things did not improve in San Diego when the Westie returned in October; he would recommend that HAL drop them as a home port. So I believe he has one more 3-month tour [Oct-Dec] on the Westie. He also said he was due for training soon and that HAL wanted him on the Zaandam.

Not to hijack the thread - but the good captain said in his talk [Q&A] during April/May itinerary that if things did not improve in San Diego when the Westie returned in October; he would recommend that HAL drop them as a home port.

So I believe he has one more 3-month tour [Oct-Dec] on the Westie. He also said he was due for training soon and that HAL wanted him on the Zaandam.

Oh dear, that is not good news as we hate to fly to ports now more and more --- mainly because of the hassles on the ground and not as much the flight itself - having gotten the dreaded SSSS notation on my boarding pass last time. Flying to ports is now getting to be sheer and hapless harassment so we were hoping to support more local cruises out San Diego.

I wonder what he meant by "things need to improve in SD" besides their truly blundered new embarkation and again grim security waits that put a bad taste in one's mouth before one even gets on board.

Last time we boarded on the Amstedam after dastardly long waits queuing through security with another mega-ship passenger load, the captain felt he had to offer a special sparkling wine and appetizer event to lower the temperature of the hassled passengers who had finally run the SD gauntlet.

it is not the security - it is the mismanagement of the waits and the failure to segregate us small ship cruisers from the mega-ship cruisers in SD huge "melting pot" melee.

We were on the Zuiderdam last summer, and the Oosterdam a few months later, right before Christmas. I thought the crew was happier and more friendly on the Oosterdam.

It might depend on where you are interacting with the crew. We spent our time on both ships in the Aft View Sea Bar, the Crow's Nest, and the Lido restaurant.

Friends of ours cruised on the O while we were on the Westerdam and their experiences were contrary to our great experiences.

I can't speak to worn carpets, just what we experienced.

Our favourite Vista ship remains to be the Westerdam. Especially if Captain Van Eerten is at the helm. He has excellent staff. The ship is happy and there is a BIG difference ;)

I 100% agree Jacqui. We also found the crew on the Oosterdam not as happy and smiling. It was very clear the crew was not happy with the senior officers. We sailed on Zuiderdam with Capt Turner- wow what a night and day difference. Even thru i believe 8 days of Code Red the staff and officers were perfect hosts- always front and center and happy to answer any questions. Zuiderdam is definitely our second favorite.

And then there is Westerdam- hands down our favorite. From the decor to the crew Westerdam is amazing. I'm happy to hear Capt Van Eerten will be back in October for our next cruise.

Hi GJ,

We were in an aft cabin on The Oosterdam, Vancouver to Seward in August 2015.

We were very pleased.

As far as reviews go: some people get very upset if they see flaking paint because they have no idea how quickly it can happen, others become upset if their waiter doesn't bow deeply enough. Take them with lots of salt.

> Zuiderdam is a bit more expensive with a slightly better itinerary,...

If that is what makes the difference, go. Otherwise, flip a coin.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira