Passport question

Nessaraye

A passport and a driver's license are all anyone needs. You only need the marriage license if your name doesn't match the passport.

All travel should be booked with the same name as the documentation.

Edited by SadieN

A passport and a driver's license are all anyone needs. You only need the marriage license if your name doesn't match the passport.

Actually you don't need a driver's license unless you are afraid to take your passport off the ship while in a port. Then you will "sometimes" need an ID to get back on the pier. Not all ports check but some do. We just use our passports for ID.

Edited by RWolver672

Actually you don't need a driver's license unless you are afraid to take your passport off the ship while in a port. Then you will "sometimes" need an ID to get back on the pier. Not all ports check but some do. We just use our passports for ID.

I should have been more specific, port calls are why I suggested the driver's license. I am one of those that prefers not to take my passport with me on port excursions :D

When I got married my passport was still a long way from expiration. So my name did not match since I legally took my husbands name. If you have time, I think it took a few weeks, you can mail in your passport and they will add on the last page, a name change notation.

I found it confused some people where you might use your passport for ID. So a drivers licence was sometimes helpful.

The name on your passport has no bearing on your marital status, you could legally change your name for other reasons too. So if your name on the passport matches your legal name you need no further proof of the name on it. If it doesn't match and you have the addendum stating the change...you need no further proof, but I found it helpful to have it.

Hope this helps.

We carry a copy of out PP on shore.

I should have been more specific, port calls are why I suggested the driver's license. I am one of those that prefers not to take my passport with me on port excursions :D

Then why take it at all? You most likely flew domestic (or drove) to the port. Didn't need a passport. And if it is sitting in a safe on the ship for the duration it won't do you a lick of good when something happens and you are left behind.

My passport is with me so I have it as needed.

We're the same way. Simpler for the computer pre-checkin and to check in at the port with passports as opposed to birth certificates. I assume that if we choose to go overseas again we'd have to have a valid PP so we keep one current.

I carry a color copy of the PP secured in a wallet hooked inside my travel purse. When we leave the ship we take our ship card, driver's license, some cash and 2 credit cards.

If the ship is going to leave us behind they will empty the safe (where we store the PPs) and give it to the port staff. We saw this happen to some others in Nassau last cruise.

We're the same way. Simpler for the computer pre-checkin and to check in at the port with passports as opposed to birth certificates. I assume that if we choose to go overseas again we'd have to have a valid PP so we keep one current.

I carry a color copy of the PP secured in a wallet hooked inside my travel purse. When we leave the ship we take our ship card, driver's license, some cash and 2 credit cards.

If the ship is going to leave us behind they will empty the safe (where we store the PPs) and give it to the port staff. We saw this happen to some others in Nassau last cruise.

They will only do this if they have received notification that the passenger will definitely not be boarding.

I can only assume that those that run the pier and have the gangway pulled up behind them as the ship casts off had the forethought to ask, "did you empty my safe?"

And I for one am not going to trust other people to go into my safe, extract my belongings, hand them to strangers, and have them deliver them to me. I will keep my passport with me.

They will only do this if they have received notification that the passenger will definitely not be boarding.

I can only assume that those that run the pier and have the gangway pulled up behind them as the ship casts off had the forethought to ask, "did you empty my safe?"

And I for one am not going to trust other people to go into my safe, extract my belongings, hand them to strangers, and have them deliver them to me. I will keep my passport with me.

That's really nice for you.

Others are expressing their choices and do not need to be criticized for doing so.

That's really nice for you.

Others are expressing their choices and do not need to be criticized for doing so.

Not criticizing a single person. Read more carefully.

I was addressing a single comment made by another about Carnival's policy of going through someone's safe.

The rest was MY opinion. Read carefully the words 'I for one'. My choice, my opinion. I never told anyone else what to do. I stated what I would do. They can do what they want to do and express their opinions of their choices. Oh, kind of what is happening here.

If you think having a different opinion is criticizing others than perhaps you should stop criticizing MY choice.

We just traveled with licenses and birth certificates. We brought the marriage documentation (which was 22 years ago), but they said it was no needed. They didn't seem to care that the name of the birth certificate and license did not match up for my wife. They asked the usual random questions (What city were you born in, etc) and felt good enough at that.

Every port we were told to take our sign and sail card and photo id. Even that we would need it at Cozumel. At none of the ports did they do more than wave us into the port after a casual glance at the sign and sail card.

As for passports, we don't have them - was too close to trip date to get them without major cost - but everything you read says if you get left behind in another country, they make returning home easier. I can understand not wanting to lose them while at a beach or something, but at the same time, they are useless if they are locked in your safe on a departing ship. Interesting conundrum!

Then why take it at all? You most likely flew domestic (or drove) to the port. Didn't need a passport. And if it is sitting in a safe on the ship for the duration it won't do you a lick of good when something happens and you are left behind.

My passport is with me so I have it as needed.

For me, the risk that I lose my passport on an excursion > than the risk I don't get back on board. That's why I take my driver's license with me and leave my passport on the ship. Having said that, both risks are small.

Back to the original question, if you got your passport less than a year ago you can have your name changed on it. If it has been more than a year then you have to pay the full price for a new one. I got married in 2011 and I am still using the passport with my maiden name. Just book your travel in your maiden name and you will be fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As we're the type that return to the ship in plenty of time to never be labeled a runner the only reason we'd miss a sailing would be an injury that required a hospital so it's really not an issue with us since the ship would be notified in that instance.

In the case we observed when it came time to sail they called the group's names 2 different times. About 10 minutes later the officer stood on the gangway looking back toward the pier with a backpack. She gave the backpack to a port official and we sailed away. The next day around noon the missing folks caught up with us at the next port.

two of our four ports checked id. use your maiden name if that's what's on your passport and license. please don't add more drama by booking with your soon to be married name and trying to bring a marriage license. it WILL be drama.

I'm in a similar situation. I've been married for three and a half years, but my passport was new-ish when I got married, so I never bothered to change it. This turned out fortuitous earlier this year when the travel agent for work booked plane tickets in my old name and I had to travel domestically on a passport. My driver's license and SS card both have my married name. I've booked the cruise under my maiden name and will just use my PP instead of DL.