Someone said that cruising from Galveston means the ship will be full of partiers...

Carleeb12

I'm a TEXAN, born & raised...and I embrace my Stereotype!

If you are a Texan, you know that means GOOD things.

Bigger, stronger, competitive, hard working, well mannered & polite (yes, sir, no ma'am), nice until crossed..and then tougher than a bed of nails! (Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!..and don't forget those Gonzales boys.)

I will never forget my shock to cross state lines and discover that not ALL men/boys hold the door at gas stations for females. Bless their heart, their mama didn't raise them right. And that is old school Texan. The younger generations...not so many being raised right these days.

The dullest cruises that I've taken were from Galveston. The liveliest groups have been from Miami. Don't worry about it. You will have the loud idiots yelling in the hall on the way to bed in the middle of the night on all the cruises, no matter where the embark.

Edited by bizeemom4

I've lived inTexas for over thirty years and travelled extensively. I don't think Texans are any nicer or ruder than anyone in other states. It's a huge place with a lot of diversity, especially the Houston area (we live north of the city). Frankly, most of the people who say that Texans are nicer are Texans themselves. Anyway, I think a lot depends on when you go, of course, but that's true of any port. I'm sure you'll enjoy Galveston and the cruise.

We live in Houston and often cruise out of Galveston. We have not found the cruise to gave excessive partying. We take both 5 day and 7 day cruises and have no problem making it to whatever type of event you want. Like others said if you want to party you can usually find a nice party. If you want gambling, go there and if you want solitude you can get that too. The ships have not been overly populated with one type or another.

We have sailed from NO, Mobile, Miami and Galveston. Galveston is by far our favorite. The people are great, the town easy to navigate and the port is pretty effecient. Sailed 5 and 7 nighters and we had no problems with partiers. Spring Break and short cruises draw the party crowd. As a whole, Galveston is no different than the other ports when it comes to party animals.

When is Spring break? I have Galveston on my future list. My spring Break is March 11-26. Or summer break but I heard its super hot out there in the summer

I have been to San Antonio and Austin....while in my 20's Austin and 30's San Antonio.

Texans from that experience...now 56...were just fabulous. You really noticed the manners...we have them here in Montana too...but even more so in Texas. I understand concern and ?...OP just does not want a heavy spring break type situation, IMHO...from the answers I would discern ALL WILL BE FINE. The most polite people I have ever met are Texans at that time in my life LOL...just pleasant shock I do remember...never getting the door if around any guys.

what are partyers? And why is it a considered a derogatory term? Is there a specific age where one no longer parties? Why can't senior citizens enjoy Partying? Does it mean if you are enjoying yourself, having a drink, dancing the night away that you are doing something despicable? Isn't cruising both about energy and relaxation...or are we destined to choose one over the other? And at what age are we inclined to to stop letting our hair down on vacation and toeing the "senile" frame of reference?

So many questions.

Agree Dutch, good post....I guess by "partiers" the OP means the obnoxious, fall down drunk type....it is probably safe to say you will get a small % of that on EVERY ship out of EVERY port. Now, just speaking from experience, you will probably see a higher % of that behavior on shorter cruises during Spring Break times....that goes for all lines, not just Carnival

I'm a TEXAN, born & raised...and I embrace my Stereotype!

If you are a Texan, you know that means GOOD things.

Bigger, stronger, competitive, hard working, well mannered & polite (yes, sir, no ma'am), nice until crossed..and then tougher than a bed of nails! (Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!..and don't forget those Gonzales boys.)

I will never forget my shock to cross state lines and discover that not ALL men/boys hold the door at gas stations for females. Bless their heart, their mama didn't raise them right. And that is old school Texan. The younger generations...not so many being raised right these days.

I totally agree. I was born and raised in the suburbs of Philadelphia and thought I moved to a foreign country when we got here 32 years ago. I could not believe how polite and well mannered the people were.

Native Texans are a breed apart. I wasn't born here, but got here as fast as I could. We liked it so much after a few years that DH turned down a promotion to President of his company because it required that we move back to Philadelphia. Not willing to put up with that again, and not willing to shovel snow either and more importantly we wanted our kids to be raised as Texans.

Didn't mean to offend anybody. I was just giving a silly answer to a silly statement. any one notice the OP hasn't responded to any of the comments?

They just knocked on the door, dropped the flaming pile of dog stuff on the porch, and ran away. Then stood back and laughed at the responses.

It's a common occurrence here.

We are from San Antonio and Galveston is our home port. We know how to have a classy good time. :eek:

We have trouble finding horse parking on the back forty but other than that it was a complete stereotype of Texans. (Joke)

Use plenty of OFF because our skeeters are big and our Zika is really bad!

I agree. I live in Utah and am always told that people think Utahns are so nice. It's usually the people who have always lived in Utah who are saying these things. haha. Anyway, on one of the other posts I submitted, one of the commenters asked if I'd ever taken a 4-day cruise out of Miami or a cruise out of Galveston because the people are wild on those cruises. This just made me wonder why he would say that. I kind of think you can find what you want to find on any cruise, but I've only ever sailed out of Florida, so I wondered if there was any merit to his comment for some strange reason. :)