Younger Cruisers Considering Azamara

montrealroyalc

We are a couple in our early to mid thirties and considering booking the Quest for an 11 night west indies hideaway voyage departing Miami on January 4th, 2017. We are fairly well traveled and like the idea of a smaller ship. Have been on the Equinox, Eclipse, Adventure, Jewel and several others. What can we expect as far as the demographics of individuals on board? Do you get younger couples in their 30's? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My experience has been it's very dependent upon cruise length and itinerary. For an 11 night cruise you will probably find you'll be one of the younger guests onboard. Average age range is usually 50 to early seventies, but generally fit and more active than you'd get on a larger ship like Celebrity.

Phil

You will be among the youngest. (Just like my hubby and I are!)

But what I love about that is you get to hear from all of the older well travelled passengers. I just love hearing about their pervious adventures. Plus, neither one of us are partyers and so we fit in rather well!

Our Journey cruise a few weeks ago had several younger couples onboard.

Some in the 20/30 age group. They were lovely people and we thoroughly enjoyed their company and had lots of fun with them.

Age is not a number....it's a state of mind. I'm 22 in my head! :)

My experience has been it's very dependent upon cruise length and itinerary. For an 11 night cruise you will probably find you'll be one of the younger guests onboard. Average age range is usually 50 to early seventies, but generally fit and more active than you'd get on a larger ship like Celebrity.

Phil

Phil

Really??

Many years ago, my husband and I went on two different ships with the Windjammer Barefoot Cruise company. On one of them, there was a couple probably in their late 60's or early 70's, they were surrounded by the young passengers constantly. The lady would sit in a deck chair with 15 or so bikini'd young women; she would tell stories of their travels and they would hang onto every word.

Those ships demanded passenger interaction, they weren't big enough for anything else. It was fun.

I'm 30 and went on my first Azamara cruise 2 years ago. I was the youngest passenger (except the two pre-teens traveling with lecturers). It was a Mediterranean and Middle East cruise and was only filled at half capacity. I think demographics vary depending on itinerary and length, at least that's the way it seems on our usual line (Holland America). I'm not sure what kind of atmosphere you prefer while sailing but I know I definitely prefer the more mature crowd.

My husband (31) and I are booked on the Journey for the LeClub Voyage this coming October and I'm excited to introduce him to the line.

I say go for it. It never hurts to try but fair warning it might be hard to go back to the other cruise lines!

I don't know specifically about that cruise but you may want to consider the cruise before that one as it is an 8 day cruise over the holidays. Many younger folks (myself included) will have the time between Christmas and NYE off so it is any winter break and will likely attract a younger crowd. It is also an 8 day sailing which is more doable for a working person. The itinerary may not suit you, but something to think about.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I don't know specifically about that cruise but you may want to consider the cruise before that one as it is an 8 day cruise over the holidays. Many younger folks (myself included) will have the time between Christmas and NYE off so it is any winter break and will likely attract a younger crowd. It is also an 8 day sailing which is more doable for a working person. The itinerary may not suit you, but something to think about.

I agree-length of cruise and season makes a big difference..

My experience is that I do not honestly notice age on Azamara as much as I do say on Celebrity. On Celebrity it very much is young crowd in one place (typically in the Martini Bar and Disco) and old crowd (typically in smaller, quieter lounges and the top floor dance area) elsewhere.

Azamara there is no old folks/young folks haunts and as a result I am much less age conscious.

Another thing that impacts is the international mix - Azamara has a more diverse mix and as it is a smaller ship, you mix with more people. All I can say is the liveliest nights (or should I say mornings) I have had are with groups of Scandinavians average age above mine. They really do come onboard to see during the day and have fun at night. One night the fun is on deck 5 another its on Deck 10 etc.

Edited by uktog

We are in the same boat (haha). We are doing the 11 day cruise in November. This will be our first Azamara cruise after numerous cruises on other lines.

We got a decent deal on the cruise and are interested in the smaller boat and the smaller islands. We will see how it goes. But we are also not "typical" younger cruisers who party all night long. We go to bed early to get up early to run and then hit the islands.

That's been my experience, but from a touring point of view rather than nightlife on the ship. Maybe because folk have been seeing the sights during the day on a "destination immersion" cruiseline they are less inclined to party late.

Phil

Only joking Phil! It wasn't the age group. Booked Celebrity Eclipse 14 nighter Baltic. Enjoy Azamara! It just wasn't us. Too quiet!

The good news is that the AZ passengers, while generally a bit older, are very social and eager to meet everyone and chat up everyone. So if that is your cup of tea, you will not be lonely. And many like to dance, so White Night is busy and social, and some nights in the disco are active. And the performers, who are very young, frequently mix with the guests.

The good news is that the AZ passengers, while generally a bit older, are very social and eager to meet everyone and chat up everyone. So if that is your cup of tea, you will not be lonely. And many like to dance, so White Night is busy and social, and some nights in the disco are active. And the performers, who are very young, frequently mix with the guests.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy Azamara. I find the other guests (on the whole) to be a fun and very pleasant bunch without any of the superiority and bragging that you sometimes find. It makes for a very friendly environment on the ship. Coupled with how outgoing the crew are.

Phil

I agree 100% about the fellow passengers , they certainly played a big part in the enjoyment I experienced on board the Journey last month .

Special word of thanks to Louise, Hazel, Lottie, and Phil , I had so much fun x

Mary, it was great to meet you too. Hopefully to repeat in September!:cool:

Phil

I agree 100% about the fellow passengers , they certainly played a big part in the enjoyment I experienced on board the Journey last month .

Mary,

Glad you've joined us on Cruise Critic ( love your CC name, ha ha)

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you too - hopefully there are more Azamara adventures to come

H x

We did all have fun didn't we? :)

Lovely to meet you and Louise too....hopefully see you in September for more fun! X