Oasis of the Seas - Tips | Tricks | Secrets

Whatever you do, try not to do it all. Sailed Oasis 3 times (2 7-days and the 13-day Transatlantic) and still don't feel like I've done it all.

Our first time, we tried to do everything and it wore us out - didn't feel rested after the vacation! Just go with the flow and if you love her as much as we do, book her again and try some different experiences.

I do wonder if the gnomes are still in Central Park, though.... A must-see. :)

I'll jump in on this with some tips and tricks.

Oasis will feel rather empty, it's one of the biggest surprises, the neighborhood concepts work. It's only busy at a few select spots at a few select times. Notably, the buffet. Avoid the buffet at peak times.

- Johnny Rockets OR the main dining room for breakfast (both are free). Johnny Rockets is made to order, though quality is "ok" and main dining room has made to order AND a simple buffet - but with real solid service and tablecloths - it's great. Neither are busy and never a wait. Johnny Rockets has nice outdoor seating and it was noticeably shaded and not hot at all in the mornings - even in July. That was a plus.

- Central park in the evening. Totally empty, some beautiful music, trellis bar, and also hop on the "Rising Tide" bar which goes between Central Park and Promenade. Always got a table and it was lots of fun.

- MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR SHOWS AND COMEDY.... I can't stress that enough. Especially comedy. AquaTheater will fill up, too. Reservations can be made online in advance, it's free, just book the nights you are likely to want to see them. If you change your mind, it's easy to modify reservations on board but no guarantee it'll be available. With a reservation, you just walk right up, they scan your card and you walk in. Plenty of great seating.

- Good luck finding a chair on sea days near the pool. Depending on your personality, if you are an early riser, you'll probably enjoy the pools more earlier in the day, when chairs are available, etc. Or if you like to lounge all day, this also works. There is always chairs available, but they may be up a deck, for instance, don't don't fret. I always found seating in the solarium as well, though it may not be the best in the house, all the seats are great.

- Solarium bar was pleasant, with seating near it if you just want some drinks and a view. The seats in front have an expansive view out the front and sides of the ship. We enjoyed the area.

- Check out, depending on your situation and what you are doing. If you just would like to get off the ship, DO use express checkout. What is express if you don't know? Keep your bags in your room - don't put them out night before. Wake up next day, walk off ship. I believe you have until 8AM to take advantage of it. Breakfast opens early so you can grab a quick bite before ditching. We left at 6:45 and had exactly ZERO line all the way to our car in the parking lot. Customs took 1 minute and it was basically as fast as you can walk. Highly recommend.

- Use the cruise compass if you like some of the fun little trivia and what not. We also did the sushi class and only 8 people there. Skip breakfast if doing that, it's $20/person and was well worth it.

- I'm sure you know, but if you drink, just get a drink package. More pleasant and nice not getting a bill every time you order a drink. If you have more than 5 a day, it's a bargain... I had about 15+.

- The ice show is a must see (we thought) and was better than expected.

- Deck 14, from the hallway with the cabins, all the way forward is the observation deck. I thought it was overrated and the Solarium seemed to be a better sweet spot for great views. Second level of solarium on the sides opens up nicely and you don't have to wander back through cabins to get to the bar. The observation deck is baron.

Overall, just wander the ship. It's incredible how "un" crowded it feels, absolutely shocked, personally. You'll find just about anywhere pleasant and uncrowded. Bars were never busy, just walk up and grab a drink, etc.

Edited by BNBR

Is there a balcony deck in the aft that is open to the public? How do you get to that balcony?

The entire sports zone is on the top deck near the back. Just go all the way up and to the back, near the flow riders. On deck 6 - boardwalk - you can also wander back behind the aqua theater - it's where shuffle board is totally hidden. It overlooks the back straight down and is an excellent spot that I imagine hardly anyone knows about.

Here's a thread on this- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1138049

Some say they can be noisier at times, as there are some steward quarters beyond the wall from these rooms, but the double balcony, in my opinion, makes that risk worth it. Plus, a lot of them have mentioned that this is only in the morning, etc, and I'm an early riser. There are many threads on here and other Royal Caribbean blog websites that discuss the pros and cons, but I hope this helps. I'm booked in 12629 on Oasis in Spring 2018 and am very excited to try this room out!

Booked 12629 last night for a B2B, thanks. It was an extra $120 a week, though. C1 vs C2

This is so great!!

We leave on Saturday on our first cruise and I was wondering if there are "theme" nights that I need to bring clothes/ accessories for? You mentioned prohibition night and 70's night, do you dress up for that? Thanks!!

Forward elevators...use the forward elevators at peak times.....never had a line......though I should keep that one to myself....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was very surprised to learn that the Oasis class ships only have 2 sets of elevators! I've been on much smaller ships that have forward, midship, and aft elevators/stairs.

I was very surprised to learn that the Oasis class ships only have 2 sets of elevators! I've been on much smaller ships that have forward, midship, and aft elevators/stairs.

Well, I guess it depends how you look at it. I see 4 sets because there are 2 sets forward and 2 sets aft.

They have a substantial amount of elevators. You have 2 sets forward and 2 sets aft. Each set is 8 elevators. So 16 elevators near each other. You have the port and starboard sets of elevators.

That said, it was still a bit of a pain when it was busy, and elevators filled up uncomfortably. But it was hardly anything that would ruin a vacation or be a real concern.

Also consider, unless you are going up top, that everything was just a few floors apart, so we just took stairs up and down a deck or two. Also a good reason to book a cabin around deck 7 or 8. I like deck 8 as you have the central park right there.

Following! Totally love hearing these great suggestions! Thanks especially for the breakfast ideas and the hidden shuffle board court!

Sailing in 24 days!

Annette~

Other than the few basic suggestions like food and reservations, one thing that is great about the Oasis is that you don't really need many tips or tricks. It's just so well designed to enjoy and not feel lost or overwhelmed. Just a few "neighborhoods" that make it so simple.

Well, one last tip - because we know from experience of wandering around looking for it.... free soft serve ice cream is in the "Wipeout Cafe" near the stern/sports zone. Else you have better for-fee ice cream shop on the boardwalk.

Well, I guess it depends how you look at it. I see 4 sets because there are 2 sets forward and 2 sets aft.

I see what you're saying, and of course another set midship would take up valuable real estate!

They have a substantial amount of elevators. You have 2 sets forward and 2 sets aft. Each set is 8 elevators. So 16 elevators near each other. You have the port and starboard sets of elevators.

That said, it was still a bit of a pain when it was busy, and elevators filled up uncomfortably. But it was hardly anything that would ruin a vacation or be a real concern.

Also consider, unless you are going up top, that everything was just a few floors apart, so we just took stairs up and down a deck or two. Also a good reason to book a cabin around deck 7 or 8. I like deck 8 as you have the central park right there.

Definitely not worried about this -- I was just surprised based on past experience. I didn't realize that there are so many elevators... and we probably won't use them much anyway. We have a room on deck 8 and will likely use the stairs most of the time.

Other than the few basic suggestions like food and reservations, one thing that is great about the Oasis is that you don't really need many tips or tricks. It's just so well designed to enjoy and not feel lost or overwhelmed. Just a few "neighborhoods" that make it so simple.

Well, one last tip - because we know from experience of wandering around looking for it.... free soft serve ice cream is in the "Wipeout Cafe" near the stern/sports zone. Else you have better for-fee ice cream shop on the boardwalk.

Isn't there ice cream near the kids pool as well?

I see what you're saying, and of course another set midship would take up valuable real estate!

Definitely not worried about this -- I was just surprised based on past experience. I didn't realize that there are so many elevators... and we probably won't use them much anyway. We have a room on deck 8 and will likely use the stairs most of the time.

I don't think they needed another set mid-ship. Mind you the aft set is forward of the boardwalk. And the forward set is behind the solarium/spa. So they are kind of "mid ship" already. It's just a short stroll down central park or whatever to the other set. You'll see.

Enjoy deck 8, we loved it and thought it was perfect. Just a couple decks down to the dining room and boardwalk. We used elevators to go up to the top decks, and here and there to go down, but it was trivial.

You will find them a bit annoying and waiting - which seems odd considering how many there are, along with the elevators packed at times.... but know that going in and laugh it off :)