Proper tip for Porters at the port?

LovetheSea

We have used Porters for years at the cruise ports. Especially now that we are getting older. Last cruise was this Spring out of Port Everglades,Fort Lauderdale. We had two large suitcases and two carry-ons. We tipped the Porter $10.00. As I started to walk away, he said not so softly CHEAP!

Have the tips gone up or was he just being rude? I thought it was a fair tip.

Perhaps he thought it was $1.00 as a single bill. I give them $5.00 for two bags to go five feet from my trunk to the sidewalk. I use five $1.00 bills so it's thicker.

Even so, he shouldn't have called you cheap.

Edited by cruzincurt

Well I 'll be. My adult son works as an upscale Uber partner. He puts the bags in the car and takes the bags out. Many times handing them to the porter.

However, 98% never receives a tip.

That's probably because you're not supposed to tip Uber.

• 2 weeks later...
⤴️I bent the bills so they can't even see how much was it. Most of the time they don't even look at it and it goes straight to his pocket.

This, too, has been my experience. Most are so busy with bags that they don't even pay attention to what I've given them. We are in the $2 a bag crowd unless someone really goes above and beyond (eg. On one of our first cruises, a porter hand wrote some luggage tags for us and found a stapler as well..yeah, hard to believe we were ever that inexperienced! Now, of course, I come to the dock with printed and laminated luggage tags neatly affixed to each bag :D)

I don't want to minimize anyone's concerns about bags going overboard or being put on the wrong ship; however, with all of the security personnel on those docks, along with cameras everywhere and the sheer volume of people in every nook and cranny, I really can't see how a porter would be able to drag bags from where they are being dropped off and give them a dunking without a huge outcry from many, many people. Truly do not think they would jeopardize a very decent paying job over a few dollars.

Aren't most "porters" members of the longshoremen unions? So, they get paid union wages and then get tips to pocket on top of the pay?

We tip, but some of the tipping seems excessive since these folks just put your luggage on a cart and hand it over to the ship. Some of them tell you that they will make sure it arrives in your cabin promptly. I doubt they are let onboard at all!

Here we go again.

I don't tip them anything and nothing has ever happened to our bags. They receive a really good hourly salary for the minimum skill level job that they have. After all, it does not take a lot of training or a high IQ level to learn how to pick up a bag, carry it 5 feet and deposit it on a cart....DON

Yes, here we go again. If being a porter is such a good deal, why aren't you doing it?:rolleyes:

It totally depends on whether you are using them to check in or get off the boat. For getting on they don't do much so a small tip would seem fine. For getting off, they may eat up 30-40 minutes helping you. I'd say $10 is low in this case no matter the number of bags. To me, for getting their help to get my luggage to my car is a min $20. Only recently have I used one as we now have a baby. To me there was no choice so I budgeted $30 in my mind since I was asking someone to haul my heavy luggage (4 bags total) for what took 30-40 minutes. I couldnt imagine tipping less than $20 in that scenario. Like I said, checking in is totally different however as they don't have to do much in this scenario. You have no choice but to go through them when getting in the ship. When getting off the boat you are electing to use them because can't or don't want to carry your own bags. In this case being cheap is quite rude IMO. You are the one that asked them to haul your heavy luggage.

I agree I have had them take our luggage all the way to our car in the parking garage so i tip $25-30.

They also have to wait thru customs,

Getting on the ship it more like $5

I usually give $2 dollars a bag - they move loads of bags per cruise so its a good earner - what a cheek to call you cheap !

Im wondering about my upcoming Southampton trip. Im fitting 4 suitcases and us three in my Merc E class convertable. Its going to be a Monkey Puzzle to get them in and out - I hope they dont hassle me in the car park rushing me as I'll get in a state lol. Im wondering in the UK how much to tip ? Any ideas ? Our money is in coins save for £5 note = $8 or £10 = $ 16 :)

Sometimes I've tucked a £1 coin into the porter's hand if we've had a lot of luggage- but he's only moving across the road with it... I've never known a porter look for money at Southampton.

Aren't most "porters" members of the longshoremen unions? So, they get paid union wages and then get tips to pocket on top of the pay?

We tip, but some of the tipping seems excessive since these folks just put your luggage on a cart and hand it over to the ship. Some of them tell you that they will make sure it arrives in your cabin promptly. I doubt they are let onboard at all!

No, they do not make much more than $10 or so. Porters are the lowest category of their union. Besides what does it matter? Do you ask every waiter you have what is their salary? Do you reduce your gratuities if they have another job and "make too much?" It is customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage in front of you, providing you a personal service and you are expected to tip.

Sometimes I've tucked a £1 coin into the porter's hand if we've had a lot of luggage- but he's only moving across the road with it... I've never known a porter look for money at Southampton.

When in Southampton, fine but we are not discussing Southampton.

We have used Porters for years at the cruise ports. Especially now that we are getting older. Last cruise was this Spring out of Port Everglades,Fort Lauderdale. We had two large suitcases and two carry-ons. We tipped the Porter $10.00. As I started to walk away, he said not so softly CHEAP!

Have the tips gone up or was he just being rude? I thought it was a fair tip.

If you used his services from the luggage carousel, through Customs to your transportation, having him take two large suitcases and two carry ons and only tipped him $20? Yes, you under tipped. You used up what 30 minutes of his time? Double it next time.

If these were high paying, desirable jobs, you would see a different demographic working there.