Proper tip for Porters at the port?

LovetheSea

We have used Porters for years at the cruise ports. Especially now that we are getting older. Last cruise was this Spring out of Port Everglades,Fort Lauderdale. We had two large suitcases and two carry-ons. We tipped the Porter $10.00. As I started to walk away, he said not so softly CHEAP!

Have the tips gone up or was he just being rude? I thought it was a fair tip.

Edited by LovetheSea

We have used Porters for years at the cruise ports. Especially now that we are getting older. Last cruise was this Spring out of Port Everglades,Fort Lauderdale. We had two large suitcases and two carry-ons. We tipped the Porter $10.00. As I started to walk away, he said not so softly CHEAP!

I think that $2.50 a bag is fair. Was this embarking or disembarking. If it was disembarking and the porter had to wait in line for quite a while I might be inclined to tip more.

I can't remember ever leaving a tip to the porters getting on the ship. We've always set the luggage beside the carts they use to load it onto the ship. Sorry but I'm not tipping someone to move my luggage 5 feet.

I assume you mean the porters getting off the ship because you wanted your carryons handled.

I think $10 is fair. If I heard that I sure would have said something back and definitely got his name.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

The porter was rude. We ran into a similarly rude porter at Port Everglades and we gave $10 for checking two bags.:eek: I turned back to take our bags to a different porter, since I was afraid our bags weren't going to make it on the ship. When I turned and started to approach him, his attitude changed to "its all good, all set" and put our bags up on a trolley. We walked away but turned one last time and he had put other bags up on ours, so we were more confident that the bags were going to make it and they did.

We usually check 2 bags and give $5 on embarkation day. if we had 4 it would be $10. When we get off the ship we rarely use anyone since we can manage our own.

My daughter and I took my mother on Freedom for her 80th birthday. Before the cruise we drove up and dropped off the luggage then parked the car. When we got off the ship a porter got our bags and took us all the way to the parking garage. We told him he could leave it at the curb and we'd leave mom to watch the bags and go get the car. He insisted on going with us to the car. Mom was very mobile then and perfectly OK with the walk.

This lovely gentlemen even offered to help load the car. My daughter and I were capable of doing that ourselves so we thanked him and said no to that. We tipped him $30.

Guest maddycat

He was definitely rude. We tip $5 for 2 large suitcases. This is on embarkation day. The porter takes the suitcases out of our trunk and puts them on the luggage cart. When we disembark from a cruise we wheel our luggage to the garage ourselves.

Oh, and this is in NJ where some folks consider the porters to be pushy and rude. We have never had a negative reaction to the $5 tip. My husband always get a thank you.

WOW

We are over kill.

When we embark we drop off three large and 2 carryons and tip. $20.

And the DH goes to the porter with the 20 in hand put all these in the bin and this is yours. He also follows the porter.

I have nightmares of our luggage floating in the waters.....

It is what it is.

Just saying

We always tip $2-$2.50 a bag. I have a friend who is a police officer who works details at the pier in Boston. He chats withe the porters frequently and they all say $2-3 per bag is standard provided the bags are unloaded from a vehicle. IF they have to unload etc he said they usually get $10 or $20 depending on the number of bags.

And herein is the problem with the whole tipping business, many here are saying $1 is plenty but OP was called cheap for giving more than that.

And if you believe other threads runs the risk of luggage being "misplaced" for under tipping, well in that porters opinion it was under tipping.

1$per bag because I'm afraid it will land at the port of Miami and not the ship. I rather give my $ to a non profit organization than to the porter who I simply handle my luggage and he placed on a bin. But as long as my fear continue I will continue giving 1$ per bag.

1$per bag because I'm afraid it will land at the port of Miami and not the ship. I rather give my $ to a non profit organization than to the porter who I simply handle my luggage and he placed on a bin. But as long as my fear continue I will continue giving 1$ per bag.

They will not stop doing their job for that one instance. What is more important? Your dollar or their livelihood?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by wingatesl

If I have my 2 large suitcases taken out of the trunk of my car I normally give $10.

If I take out my own I will give $5

If I take out my own, I will smile, load them on the rack and walk away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by wingatesl

And if you believe other threads runs the risk of luggage being "misplaced" for under tipping, well in that porters opinion it was under tipping.

But this was at the end of the cruise, because the porter was handling carryons. So there are no bags being lost there.

WOW

We are over kill.

When we embark we drop off three large and 2 carryons and tip. $20.

And the DH goes to the porter with the 20 in hand put all these in the bin and this is yours. He also follows the porter.

I have nightmares of our luggage floating in the waters.....

It is what it is.

Just saying

just wondering why you drop off your carryons

We usually tip $3 for 2 bags, quite often as stated it's for moving them about 5 feet, I would happily put them on the trolley myself :p

Embarkation day can be quite expensive once you've tipped the taxi driver / Shuttle driver, the porter and various others along the way.

We had two large suitcases and two carry-ons. We tipped the Porter $10.00. As I started to walk away, he said not so softly CHEAP!

yeah he's rude. My old aunts would have given him $1 and think it's fine. They are still living in the 60s. (the 1960s)

Edited by marci22

2 bucks a bag is plenty. 1-2 dollars a bag is ok. If they have a problem with that.... they can load the bags without a damn tip on my next few cruises. They have to load them anyway, no one is making me tip them.

Itas funny if I heard that I would said that to the guy and made sure the other porters heard it..... and also removed my bags from the stack and took them to another porter farther down the line :)

Edited by Deptacon