Salzburg or CeskyKrumlov???

mmsoko

Our AMA cruise gives us choice...any advice would be appreciated.

This is our first river cruise and we have visited neither of these places.

We completed the AmaSonata a couple of weeks ago. If you are a Sound of Music fan and enjoy being in the alps also, take the Salzburg all day tour. You get to spend time in the Austrian Lake District and then go onto Salzburg. Then, if you still have energy, the guide will take you on a 45 minute walking tour of Linz when you get back.

WE loved Cresky Krumlov!!!! It was like a trip back in time . When we crossed the bridge to the village, it felt like Brigadoon. It does depend upon the time of year that you visit. We went there in early Oct and the crowds had gone. The castle is wonderful.

WE loved Cresky Krumlov!!!! It was like a trip back in time . When we crossed the bridge to the village, it felt like Brigadoon. It does depend upon the time of year that you visit. We went there in early Oct and the crowds had gone. The castle is wonderful.

On our sailing in July, folks were disappointed because it was packed with tourists. Ha yes we are all tourists I know but they were under the impression it was an unknown jewel and it was crowded with Asian tourists. But I'm sure if it's empty it's lovely.

We also loved CK and even the very very long ride was interesting! Both involved super long exhausting days. We went in mid Sept so we did not have big crowds.

Fellow passengers who did Salzburg felt the same way. You can't go wrong either way! Enjoy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

If you are a "Sound of Music" fan you have to go to Salzburg but if you want to see some real history in a beautiful little town the Cezky Krumlov is a must. Our travelling companions selected Salzburg and really enjoyed their visit and seeing something of the history of SoM. We did the CK tour and were enchanted by the town. Great deal of history, wonderful sights, marvellus restaurants and so much to see. Bottom line, the choice depends o what you are more interested in seeing, you will enjoy either. Have fun.

I have struggled with this decision for our upcoming cruise. We will only have 1 day at either, as a ship's excursion.

I'm leaning toward Cesky.

Maybe some that have been there can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that having only 6 +/- hrs in Salzburg would really do it no justice and the same amount of time in Cesky would do it some justice.

Chris

I have struggled with this decision for our upcoming cruise. We will only have 1 day at either, as a ship's excursion.

I'm leaning toward Cesky.

Maybe some that have been there can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that having only 6 +/- hrs in Salzburg would really do it no justice and the same amount of time in Cesky would do it some justice.

Chris

There are two Salzburg tours-- All day and half a day. The Cesky tour is half day. If you take the full day Salzburg tour you also spend an hour and half in the Austria Lake region. Of course one can spend days in Salzburg it is absolutely delightful. But, you do get a good sense of the city too. Focus on your interests, example Mozart, music and dance festival, visiting the old graveyard, Sound of Music stuff, exploring the fort. We were able to take a little taste of each. But of course it's not a relaxing sit at a cafe and shop type of afternoon. It all depends what type of visit you appreciate. I will add that after the all day Salzburg tour which I believe returned to Linz at 5:45, one had the option to continue with the guide for a walking tour of Linz. We declined and went back to the ship, but others wanted to visit Linz also. (I know my limits lol)

We've had mixed results on bus excursions from mainstream (i.e., ocean) cruise companies. How do the (in our case Scenic) river cruise bus excursions compare to those from ocean cruise lines? I don't know where the ship docks for Salzburg or CK, but is there a reasonable option to explore whatever town the ship docks in instead of taking a bus tour?

We've had mixed results on bus excursions from mainstream (i.e., ocean) cruise companies. How do the (in our case Scenic) river cruise bus excursions compare to those from ocean cruise lines? I don't know where the ship docks for Salzburg or CK, but is there a reasonable option to explore whatever town the ship docks in instead of taking a bus tour?

My understanding is that you don't HAVE to do any tours you don't choose to do. AMA docks in Linz for these tours.

Edited by mmsoko

We did Linz first, and in fact, it was a Jewish heritage tour, so we visited an active synagogue (very small congregation, but small beats non-existent, by a long shot). A few in our group absolutely could not understand that the beautiful little balcony with the flower boxes (today) was the exact same place that Hitler evidently made an early but very eerie speech. Our guide was excellent.

We stopped along the highway at a lovely rest stop.

In Salzburg we also visited the small synagogue, where a survivor of SEVERAL concentration camps, who has lived to the ripe old age of c. 105, told us of his life before and after the war, through an excellent interpreter (a guide on one of the other buses). All he told us about the camps is that he was lucky, to have survived. Each time they moved him, it was to a death camp.

Then we had a few hours to wander in Salzburg, plus a little walking tour. The end of the walk was the garden from the Sound of Music. Again, our guide was full of good info, throughout the walk.

I agree (without having seen Cesky Krumlov) that either tour should be lovely.

Yes, you could also wander around Linz.

All the bus excursions we took on our two Ama cruises were highly satisfactory; but you will have less flexibility than striking off on your own. Ask the Cruise Manager to describe further, if you're not sure if you'll enjoy what they are offering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also docked in Linz for the Salzburg touring day. Most of the boat went to Salzburg. We did not, as we'd made arrangements to head to Salzburg after the cruise on our own.

Linz was worth exploring. Uniworld did a nice tour there for those who stayed. Opera house, Cathedral, stop in a café for Linzer Torte, short walking tour in the city. Then out to lunch at a cider farm 20 minutes from town. It lasted until about 2, then we spent a few more hours in town on our own. Way better (IMO) than 4h in a bus to rush through Salzburg in a very limited amount of time, but then again we had the luxury of extra time to visit later...so I understand the need to visit during the cruise.

There is certainly plenty to do in Linz should you stay. We docked right in town. Very convenient for self-guided touring.

This is the "problem" with river cruising. Every town is fun to visit, and you can't do everything. You have to make difficult choices.

Edited by jpalbny

If you are a "Sound of Music" fan you have to go to Salzburg but if you want to see some real history in a beautiful little town the Cezky Krumlov is a must. Our travelling companions selected Salzburg and really enjoyed their visit and seeing something of the history of SoM. We did the CK tour and were enchanted by the town. Great deal of history, wonderful sights, marvellus restaurants and so much to see. Bottom line, the choice depends o what you are more interested in seeing, you will enjoy either. Have fun.

Nothing against The Sound of Music, which was a fine musical, but there are many more reasons to visit Salzburg than SOM's connection with the city. I'm not sure what is meant by "real history", but certainly Salzburg is an important historical city with many fine churches, palaces, the Hohensalzburg fortress, and not least, it's connection with Mozart. Both Salzburg and Česky Krumlov, a charming town, are UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and well worth visiting.

That said, assuming one has visited neither place, I think that Salzburg deserves more than a quick visit with a fairly lengthy bus trip there and back, so I might be inclined to save it for another time and see Krumlov. Those who are really interested in the SOM would be well advised to take one of the tours which visit all the movie locations, some of which are outside the city. Obviously there's not time to do this on the ship's tour.

In the end, however, I think I would opt to give both bus tours a miss, and as jpalbny did, spend the day wandering around the Old Quarter of Linz, a charming and historical city in its own right.

My view is that you can get to Saltzburg fairly easily on your own at some time. Cesky Krumlov is much more isolated.

I agree! Much easier to do Salzburg anytime. If fact we did that pre-cruise.

We landed in Munich on Thursday before our Saturday in Passau embarkation and headed immediately to Salzburg. We arrived in time for an afternoon stroll and early dinner. The next day we did the HoHo bus and enjoyed the "nightlife." On Saturday morning, we did a short walk and then took the train to Passau to board our cruise.

We would have enjoyed more time in Salzburg but if I had a choice, I would also have enjoyed more time in CK....and if I had to choose one, make it CK for me.

While I love Český Krumlov, if you stay in Linz consider taking the Pöstlingbergbahn. It is a narrow gauge (90cm) mountain tram (steepest in Austria) and leaves from the main square and climbs a steep hill through residential areas and then woods to a church and hotel. Once you get there there are some nice easy walks and nice views over the Danube valley. Tourist Information on the main square sells tickets (and of course has info).

I'm a little confused by reports of very very long rides; while they are over an hour both Salzberg and Český Krumlov are less than 90 minutes from Linz unless you take a non-direct route.

Thom

While I love Český Krumlov, if you stay in Linz consider taking the Pöstlingbergbahn. It is a narrow gauge (90cm) mountain tram (steepest in Austria) and leaves from the main square and climbs a steep hill through residential areas and then woods to a church and hotel. Once you get there there are some nice easy walks and nice views over the Danube valley. Tourist Information on the main square sells tickets (and of course has info).

I'm a little confused by reports of very very long rides; while they are over an hour both Salzberg and Český Krumlov are less than 90 minutes from Linz unless you take a non-direct route.

Thom

Thom, the Pöstlingbergbahn was on our list for Linz but we ran out of time. It sure sounded like fun though! Next time I guess. Linz has a lot to offer.

. Was on Scenic last August and went to Cesky Krumlov. As another poster pointed out, CK is much more difficult to get to than Salzburg. A walking tour and lunch were included in the trip. Then there was time to explore on your own.

People who went to Salzburg had an included tour and included lunch.

Look at the website for both towns and decide which appeals to you. CK was very uncrowded when I was there while Salzburg was packed to rafters when I visited a few years ago.

Last year, you did not have to choose the tour until the day before. You can stay on the ship but we basically got off in some nondescript location and met the boat further upstream.

Plane tickets are purchased...no adding anything now.

My problem is that with our cruise we will be giving up sailing into & seeing Passau. Our boat stops somewhere along the river to let those going to Salzburg and Cesky off and continues on. After reading your posts and seeing your pics, JP, I'm really struggling with giving that up.

It is going to be a very active trip for us...so I'm thinking we'll decide on board and may enjoy the morning sailing rather than jumping on an early bus..

Salzburg & Cesky may both have to be on our next trip!!

Chris

Thom

I agree that to characterize the bus trip from Linz to Salzburg as "fairly lengthy", as I did, is something of an overstatement. However, a 90 minute trip with likely a "comfort" stop en route makes up about 4 hours in what is likely a 9 hour excursion. What I was trying to suggest is that such an excursion doesn't leave much time to see very much of Salzburg. Fans of the Sound of Music will likely get to see the Mirabell Gardens and not much else, as most of the filming sites are away from the centre of the city. Even a visit to Hohensalzburg would certainly be rushed. I would recommend two or three days to properly see the sights and enjoy Salzburg.

This is why I think that the excursion to Český Krumlov might be preferable as it is more manageable in the time available. However my personal choice, and one that others may not share, would be to spend a leisurely day in Linz.

Edited by laverendrye
added phrase

I agree that to characterize the bus trip from Linz to Salzburg as "fairly lengthy", as I did, is something of an overstatement. However, a 90 minute trip with likely a "comfort" stop en route makes up about 4 hours in what is likely a 9 hour excursion. What I was trying to suggest is that such an excursion doesn't leave much time to see very much of Salzburg. Fans of the Sound of Music will likely get to see the Mirabell Gardens and not much else, as most of the filming sites are away from the centre of the city. Even a visit to Hohensalzburg would certainly be rushed. I would recommend two or three days to properly see the sights and enjoy Salzburg.

This is why I think that the excursion to Český Krumlov might be preferable as it is more manageable in the time available. However my personal choice, and one that others may not share, would be to spend a leisurely day in Linz.

This simply not factual. We took the excursion in July and did not feel rushed. As a matter of fact AMA also offers a half day tour of Salzburg. Some of us may not again have the opportunity to get to Salzburg. I personally chose Salzburg because I would regret not visiting when given the opportunity. I think the question the op has to ask herself is will she regret not visiting Salzburg. It's the beauty of Salzburg and surrounding alps that made me want to visit. Yes I became aware of the beauty from the movie. Seeing the performances of the dance and music festival is authentic. It is not recreated to bring tourists into the area.