GoBig Better Best not always good deal

waverunner43

Everyone needs to be aware that Celebrity's promotion is something you need to watch closely. On many cruises, especially those over 7-nights, the upgrade from Big to Better, 1-perk to 2-perks, will cost you more than the perk itself. A typical upgrade on a 14-night cruise had an increase of $210pp, $420, to receive an on-board credit of $300 per stateroom. A loss to the customer of $120. Celebrity is aware and tries to explain it away when caught but offers nothing. This is a scam perpetrated to take advantage of anyone that does not catch this trick. Buyer be ware.

Thank you for noticing. This has been discussed here many times with calculations as to when it is or is not a financial good deal for the passenger.

Any promotion is always a good deal for the cruise line, however it is not a scam.

Enjoy Cruising.

Not a scam at all. It is up to YOU to pick your perks carefully. In your example a $210 pp upgrade could get you the Classic beverage package, an $812 pp value on a 14 day cruise, if you wish. Where's the scam there? The "breakeven" for the OBC of $300 is about a 10 day cruise. It is easy to do the math for a specific cruise

In fact, when we sign up for a Future Cruise while on board, the customer service rep walks us through all the perks and suggests to us which perks provide the best value for the length of cruise we are considering. We decided to take the $300 OBC on a future cruise rather than the beverage package because we would never drink that much coffee and alcohol to justify the cost of the beverage package.

Not sure why you think it is a scam. They provide the options & the prices and it is up to you to select which, if any, is best for you.

Absolutely correct! People seem to always want to blame someone else when they don't take the time to do the numbers and make an educated decision regarding what is or is not a better price. ~~Judy

As has been noted, there have been lots of threads about the go big, better, best pricing program. We have found that it is mostly a marketing ploy which has led to increased fares. The only time we felt it was worth it is on the Equinox sailings that have replaced her TA & European sailings for 2017, & even then only select sailings are worth the go best offered, especially if one is in the Elite ir above level of the Captain's Club.

Each person has to decide if it is worth it on their particular sailing. It is not a scam, but it is a tool to make booking more complicated.

Edited by richsea

The definition of a scam is a fraudulent business scheme.

Clearly, the Go Better choice as outlined is not a scam.

However, it reminds me of a case (it wasn't a scam) where a guy put an ad in a newspaper that said: "Don't wait and miss out, send you dollar in today."

Nothing was promised for the dollar. It was not fraud, but some thousands of stupid people still sent in their dollar.

Still, I am NO fan of the Celebrity bundling pricing. Some people rave about how valuable the drinks packages are to them. Post #3 says worth $812 pp. for a 14 day cruise.

Well, DW and I keep track of all our alcohol costs on every cruise. The most we have ever spent on a 14 day cruise on booze of all kinds was about $500 total. However, since we became elite and enjoy the happy hour, that number usually runs about $250. That is not per day that is for the entire 14 days.

We don't start drinking until happy hour. We do enjoy wine with our meals and sometimes drink an entire bottle at dinner, sometimes half a bottle. Perhaps one after dinner drink or not. We still get a nice bus, but out livers are still in pretty good shape.

Also, we don't drink specialty coffees, bottled water or soda.

The drinks packages are not worth much to us. However, Celebrity has bundled most of its cruise pricing so that the prices are just too high for us. We did book a transatlantic for next year, but it didn't have the bundled pricing. We looked at a NZ cruise out of Sydney and found the unbundled Royal Caribbean similar cruise for less than half the price of a similar Celebrity cruise (Celebrity cruise was one day less). Sure, the double price would be reduced a bit by the promos, but by looking at the VALUE TO US, it was still way higher.

People have to look as what is valuable for them, and the find print, and all the freebies. Some people just don't do that.

Not a scam at all. It is up to YOU to pick your perks carefully. In your example a $210 pp upgrade could get you the Classic beverage package, an $812 pp value on a 14 day cruise, if you wish. Where's the scam there? The "breakeven" for the OBC of $300 is about a 10 day cruise. It is easy to do the math for a specific cruise

In fact, when we sign up for a Future Cruise while on board, the customer service rep walks us through all the perks and suggests to us which perks provide the best value for the length of cruise we are considering. We decided to take the $300 OBC on a future cruise rather than the beverage package because we would never drink that much coffee and alcohol to justify the cost of the beverage package.

If you're doing a beverage package I would select it as the GoBig option since it's the best deal. Why would you then look at it as a good deal when you select an upgrade to GoBetter with options for the second perk that do not match the increased cost. This is like a grocery store selling an item for $1.99 with a special of 2 for $5.00.

On seven day cruises the go better with drinks and OBC is a good deal. On short cruises (4 or 5 days), it is a steal. On cruises longer than ten days, not so much. I always tell people do the math. Also another heads up. Be careful if you get the insurance from Celebrity. Sometimes if you add the go better it will put your cruise price over the next threshold and bump up your insurance price by thirty dollars or more so be forewarned.

We drink more of these and Perrier than we do liquor and beer. Now wine is a different subject.

The choices at the Elite HH are weak, which is why we are on the Premium pkg.

We all have different expectations from a vacation.

EW

Thank you for noticing. This has been discussed here many times with calculations as to when it is or is not a financial good deal for the passenger.

Any promotion is always a good deal for the cruise line, however it is not a scam.

Enjoy Cruising.

Also, could never understand why people would take the prepaid gratuities when the total due is less than than $300, the OBC perk.

The definition of a scam is a fraudulent business scheme.

Clearly, the Go Better choice as outlined is not a scam.

However, it reminds me of a case (it wasn't a scam) where a guy put an ad in a newspaper that said: "Don't wait and miss out, send you dollar in today."

Nothing was promised for the dollar. It was not fraud, but some thousands of stupid people still sent in their dollar.

Still, I am NO fan of the Celebrity bundling pricing. Some people rave about how valuable the drinks packages are to them. Post #3 says worth $812 pp. for a 14 day cruise.

Well, DW and I keep track of all our alcohol costs on every cruise. The most we have ever spent on a 14 day cruise on booze of all kinds was about $500 total. However, since we became elite and enjoy the happy hour, that number usually runs about $250. That is not per day that is for the entire 14 days.

We don't start drinking until happy hour. We do enjoy wine with our meals and sometimes drink an entire bottle at dinner, sometimes half a bottle. Perhaps one after dinner drink or not. We still get a nice bus, but out livers are still in pretty good shape.

The drinks packages are not worth much to us. However, Celebrity has bundled most of its cruise pricing so that the prices are just too high for us. We did book a transatlantic for next year, but it didn't have the bundled pricing. We looked at a NZ cruise out of Sydney and found the unbundled Royal Caribbean similar cruise for less than half the price of a similar Celebrity cruise (Celebrity cruise was one day less). Sure, the double price would be reduced a bit by the promos, but by looking at the VALUE TO US, it was still way higher.

People have to look as what is valuable for them, and the find print, and all the freebies. Some people just don't do that.

Our NJ resident rate often gives us a fare much lower than with the perks. The beverage package is like a plate of cookies sitting on the kitchen counter. If they were not there you wouldn't go looking for one. But because they are there you eat one, or two, or three. With the beverage package we have drinks whereas we normally would not.

We do like the speciality coffees but while a little pricey are much better purchased ala cart in terms of the overall cost of the package. Face it, the "free" perks are not free. When I can save $900 like we did on a recent cruise by using our resident rate we end up to the good.

It didn't take long for experienced cruisers to figure this out the first day it was introduced. The key is rink on how much each perk would cost if you paid it out. I just booked a cruise that offered the go better perk. Since it's a 7 day cruise the prepaid gratuity for the state room I chose wouldn't amount to much. You can pre purchase the Internet for $199. So that only left the drink package which is always my first choice and the $300 OBC. To be clear I'm new to Celebrity so I don't get free drinks or internet minutes. Those who are elite or higher really need to do the math to get the best value for their buck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Why anyone would take the paid gratuities and not the $150/pp is hard to understand. I asked the TA and he just laughed. Like he would have let us take it and not suggest the $150/pp? Math is missng art I guess.

I agree. Why anyone would take the paid gratuities and not the $150/pp is hard to understand. I asked the TA and he just laughed. Like he would have let us take it and not suggest the $150/pp? Math is missng art I guess.

The only person who might take the paid gratuity is someone who has no idea what the gratuity charge is per day. They should first be asking that question before deciding. Personally the only way I would choose go better is if it was a free promo like I just received on yesterday's booking. On that note I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I don't have to pre pay my gratuities when selecting anytime dining. Now I can use my $300 OBC towards gratuity and still have some left over.

If you're doing a beverage package I would select it as the GoBig option since it's the best deal. Why would you then look at it as a good deal when you select an upgrade to GoBetter with options for the second perk that do not match the increased cost.

You wouldn't do that, but you aren't everybody. Some people don't understand how the perks work and then call it a Celebrity scam.

The cruise line wants you to take the drink package, that's where the most money is made. Think about it, on a 7 day cruise the prepaid gratuities cost them about $95 p.p. the $150 p.p. obc, depending how what the markup is on what you use it for, probably cost a little more. The drink package is like printing money. The classic package, I believe has a value of about $385 p.p. I would be stunned if it cost them more than $50-$75 p.p., on the average.

If you accept their individual drink cost and willing to pay it, then you might make out. If you don't then it's like throwing money down the drain, your drain.

The first perk isn't free or any after it.

Think about it, they are giving you $400 in free drinks and they just reported record profits, where did the money come from?

To be clear I'm new to Celebrity so I don't get free drinks or internet minutes. Those who are elite or higher really need to do the math to get the best value for their buck

Exactly, because we are Elite with Celebrity, sometimes we do not select the beverage package. Sometimes we don't select any perks depending on the length of the cruise. You have to do the math.

Prepaid gratuities are a better deal than OBC on itineraries of 24 days or longer! :D

Also, could never understand why people would take the prepaid gratuities when the total due is less than than $300, the OBC perk.

dazey

Yes, you should do the math. (See below).

When we booked our cruise over the weekend, the rep did question our choosing the Gratuities over the $300 OBC. He actual said that we should take the OBC. Then he quickly changed his mind when I pointed out the below.

Summer 2016 Gratuity Charges

•$13.50 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $14.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass®staterooms

• $17.00 per person, per day in Suite Class

We will be taking upcoming cruises of 14 and 11 night cruises in an AQ where we have chosen the Gratuities over the $300 OBC. I believe we come out ahead! $308 and $476 for gratuities on those two cruises. ;) OK, $8 over the $300 is not that much, but we may decided to upgrade to a Sky Suite where the gratuities will be higher. I understand that once you choose the perk, it cannot be changed.

wallie5446

Depends on the length of the cruise. Our last 2 have been 11 & 10 days.

And also the category booked! Plus, it's just easier to have that taken care of. And freeing not having a bill for the charge coming later.

Edited by Iamthesea

Full ships? Ship's excursions? Probably a result of several factors.

Also I have noticed that they aren't dropping price to rock bottom to fill rooms like they have done in the past . They are offering go better (2 perks) and go best (4perks) as an incentive to book and I have also noticed them raise the price of ocean view rooms to the same price as verandas. This tactic fills up the verandas so that when they are filled they can get a higher price for the ocean view rooms. They also do this with Concierge and Aqua.