Tell me about Teppanyaki Restaurant

balcap

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me the entertainment part of the Teppanyaki restaurants.

On previous cruises I have looked in to see cruisers sitting around tables where it apoears the chef is grilling meats/seafoods and veggies etc.....I get that part.

But what is it that has so many cruisers saying it was one of their better meals on the ship......does the chef speak continously as in putting on a show, is there comedy to it ? Just trying to understand..... Thanks so much

Here is a video of the Teppanyaki restaurant, however, it is not that great.

As far as the food is concerned, I always have the filet and it is melt in your mouth good, the vegetables are very good and I go for the steamed rice. They also serve a seaweed salad and a miso soup, neither of which I have. They also give you some edamame at the beginning, something else I don't eat. In addition to the show, I think the food is very, very good....this is my second favorite restaurant, after Cagney's.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The show is really when they are cooking-like all the other posters said. We saw the demo for Tepp. in the Atrium and found it so entertaining and funny we booked it. We were a bit dissapointed as the dinner experience was not nearly as entertaining as the demonstration. It was still really fun and tasty though :) It gets loud in the dining room and there are always several chefs cooking in a small room-all on different schedules.

I did not find it entertaining and the food was so salty I literally gained 5lbs from retaining water. Our fellow diners were not friendly at all and it was not the easiest thing to get drinks served during dinner. However my least favorite part was the non-stop, super loud clanging of the spatulas. There are numerous tables all in one room and all the chefs clang and bang their spatulas endlessly to the point where it is not only not relaxing, but downright deafening. I would not do it again, even if it was free.

It's an entertaining little show. Our guy did the "throw the egg into his hat" thing, but the egg landed on the overhead fan hood. Unbroken, even!

I'm not normally much of a fan of Asian food and I really enjoyed it.

We must of had a new guy when we were on the BA as he tried that and ended up dropping 2-3 eggs on the floor.

Dinner was still very good and consistent to what we've had on the other ships.

We love it on ship for the social aspect. It's a fun way to meet people from other places. Once on a Med cruise DW and I were at a table where all other guests were from Brazil. Only one of them spoke any English, he said his daughter played soccer at UNC. We had a great time trying to communicate. A lot of toasting to Brasilia and America, and even Argentina for some guests at the next table. :D. it still stands as one of our best meals on any ship.

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me the entertainment part of the Teppanyaki restaurants.

On previous cruises I have looked in to see cruisers sitting around tables where it apoears the chef is grilling meats/seafoods and veggies etc.....I get that part.

But what is it that has so many cruisers saying it was one of their better meals on the ship......does the chef speak continously as in putting on a show, is there comedy to it ? Just trying to understand..... Thanks so much

I think that it is an overpriced gimmick. I can get the same experience at home with better food. There is really nothing special about it, and IMO you would be better off going to one of the other specialty restaurants or even to the main dining room.

I did not find it entertaining and the food was so salty I literally gained 5lbs from retaining water. Our fellow diners were not friendly at all and it was not the easiest thing to get drinks served during dinner. However my least favorite part was the non-stop, super loud clanging of the spatulas. There are numerous tables all in one room and all the chefs clang and bang their spatulas endlessly to the point where it is not only not relaxing, but downright deafening. I would not do it again, even if it was free.

I wanted to try that restaurant but DH was not too keen. I think most of the food on the cruise ship is salty. We hardly use salt so the first day cruising is a shock to our taste buds, and we do gain some pounds even thought we exercise and try to eat healthy (lol).

However, looking at the video, is it possible to ask not to add the soy sauce or the other sauces to your portion? If this is possible, then the food might be less salty.

Thanks for posting all your comments.

Edited by SimplyCool

I wanted to try that restaurant but DH was not too keen. I think most of the food on the cruise ship is salty. We hardly use salt so the first day cruising is a shock to our taste buds, and we do gain some pounds even thought we exercise and try to eat healthy (lol).

However, looking at the video, is it possible to ask not to add the soy sauce or the other sauces to your portion? If this is possible, then the food might be less salty.

Thanks for posting all your comments.

Yes, you can ask them not to put soy sauce on it. I'm not sure how that will work (as it was two years ago when I ate there and I don't recall at what point the soy is added), so make sure you let them know at the beginning and that it's not an allergy. I was gluten free on my Jade cruise and ate at Teppenyaki. Soy sauce has gluten in it, so the chef prepared my food before he prepared everyone else's (which is why I don't remember when soy was added) so there wouldn't be cross contamination on the grill. I don't use much salt in my daily life, but without the soy sauce the rice was so bland as to be inedible. The rest of my meal was quite good though.

All of the food is prepared the same way, fried in the same seasoned shortening (which the chef piles on the grill in giant scoops that he calls "ice cream" :eek:) and squirted with the same sugary soy sauce. You can try asking for less or none of these. The ingredients are good, and plentiful, and they deserve better. What they do to those beautiful, fresh[ly defrosted] scallops is a crying shame…

The chef puts a lot of energy into the show, and it's pretty entertaining the first couple of times.

This is one of the few dining venues on board where you have to share the table with other people. That can be great, but it can also be a nightmare. Most of the time it's just faintly awkward.

Yes, you can ask them not to put soy sauce on it. I'm not sure how that will work (as it was two years ago when I ate there and I don't recall at what point the soy is added), so make sure you let them know at the beginning and that it's not an allergy. I was gluten free on my Jade cruise and ate at Teppenyaki. Soy sauce has gluten in it, so the chef prepared my food before he prepared everyone else's (which is why I don't remember when soy was added) so there wouldn't be cross contamination on the grill. I don't use much salt in my daily life, but without the soy sauce the rice was so bland as to be inedible. The rest of my meal was quite good though.
Did you know there is gluten free soy sauce? Years ago I was in Hawaii and ate at a Teppanyake restaurant and one of the young ladies couldn't eat gluten, so she had her own soy sauce and the chef ask if we all minded that he use hers, so she could eat at the same time as we did. Of course, we all said yes and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.

We love it on ship for the social aspect. It's a fun way to meet people from other places. Once on a Med cruise DW and I were at a table where all other guests were from Brazil. Only one of them spoke any English, he said his daughter played soccer at UNC. We had a great time trying to communicate. A lot of toasting to Brasilia and America, and even Argentina for some guests at the next table. :D. it still stands as one of our best meals on any ship.

That sounds like fun! Unfortunately, my experience was quite different and I haven't returned since because of it. I was traveling solo on the Jade and was seated at a table with a family of three and a family of four. I was between two children--one about 10 and the other about 13 (I was 56 at the time, so not a lot in common with them ;)). The parents all talked amongt themselves. It was kind of awkward, which was weird for me since I'm pretty outgoing and never feel awkward in social situations. The other table was full of couples and one solo and there was an empty seat. They were seated about 10 minutes after our table and I noticed they all introduced themselves to each other so they weren't traveling together. They all interacted with each other --which is what I expected in a restaurant with seating like that and has been my experience at Beni Hana. I was wishing I was over at the other table! LOL.

For my cruise next month, a group of us from our roll call plan to eat in Teppanyaki the first evening. I believe there are five or six of us that have reservations, so I'm looking forward to a very different experience this time. :D

Did you know there is gluten free soy sauce? Years ago I was in Hawaii and ate at a Teppanyake restaurant and one of the young ladies couldn't eat gluten, so she had her own soy sauce and the chef ask if we all minded that he use hers, so she could eat at the same time as we did. Of course, we all said yes and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.

Yes, that's what we used at home. Soy sauce has fermented wheat in it, and that's where the gluten comes from. I agree that GF and regular soy sauce taste the same. There are often gluten-containing thickeners used in Asian restaurants as well. That's why when I was GF and went to an Asian restaurant I told them it was an allergy so they would eliminate any sauces that contained it. Fortunately, my body decided it's okay with gluten after three years of being GF, so it's no longer a concern to me.

You'd be amazed how many things you can find GF when you know where to shop! :D

We love going to Teppanyaki when we cruise! Does anyone know how they feel about children? We're cruising with our 6 and 3 year old and think they would really enjoy it!

How does who feel about children? If you're asking if they're allowed, then the answer is absolutely! It's the one restaurant you'll see consistently recommended for families here on CC. Most kids really enjoy it, and the chefs often give them a little extra attention to make sure they're having fun.