Chair hogs being fined in Italy

It appears that chair hogs are not just limited to cruise ships. Perhaps Royal should subcontract to Italy's Coast Guard to patrol the pool decks.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/6-ways-you-can-get-fined-while-traveling-abroad-160249186.html

Last week authorities in Italy announced that they would start fining beachgoers for prematurely snagging spots on the sand. Getting a prime location to set up your beach chair and towels can be a competitive sport on busy beaches. But it’s gotten so bad in parts of Italy that visitors are setting up umbrellas early in the morning, or even the night before to claim a spot.

To crack down on the phenomenon, officials launched operation “Safe Sea” which consists of confiscating beach gear left out overnight. According to La Repubblica, last weekend the coast guard seized 37 deck chairs and 30 umbrellas in the city of Livorno. In Ascea, 70 umbrellas and 50 deck chairs were taken into custody. As punishment, rule breakers are fined 200 euros ($222 USD) to get their stuff back.

When we went to Disney Aulani in Hawaii they came around every hour and folded every towel on chairs a certain way. When they came back an hour later, if those towels weren't moved at all then everything was taken off the chair and the person had to go to the towel shack to retrieve their personal items.

Everyone was told of that policy so it wasn't a surprise. I saw more than one unhappy chair hog complain. But they only did it once.

Funny how every morning we would come down to see a sandel on one chair, a book on another, a hat on another and the other sandel on another. Then soon after, they were gone.

Royal seems to be hesitant to address the chair hog problem.

So, if someone comes out at 8AM and stays in the lounger until say 1PM, are they a chair hog? :confused:

You have been a member since 2004 and you ask that ? Perhaps you misread the story from the OP.

According to La Repubblica, last weekend the coast guard seized 37 deck chairs and 30 umbrellas in the city of Livorno. In Ascea, 70 umbrellas and 50 deck chairs were taken into custody. As punishment, rule breakers are fined 200 euros ($222 USD) to get their stuff back.

for that price..hell, less, I can just buy new deck chairs and umbrellas. the CG now has free furniture. Hmm, maybe they can auction it off at the end of the season and pad their budget.

chair hogging is done by people who could care less if they lose the ten cent paperback they bought at the thrift store or borrowed from the ship's library. they don't leave anything of real value to claim their spot.

When we went to Disney Aulani in Hawaii they came around every hour and folded every towel on chairs a certain way. When they came back an hour later, if those towels weren't moved at all then everything was taken off the chair and the person had to go to the towel shack to retrieve their personal items.

Everyone was told of that policy so it wasn't a surprise. I saw more than one unhappy chair hog complain. But they only did it once.

Funny how every morning we would come down to see a sandel on one chair, a book on another, a hat on another and the other sandel on another. Then soon after, they were gone.

Royal seems to be hesitant to address the chair hog problem.

The best answer I've ever seen :) ... !

:what: Just a theoretical question on what constitutes being a chair hog.

even you should be aware of what the common designation is: someone who 'claims' ownership but does not actually occupy the chair for an extended length of time. sure experts disagree on what is an acceptable length of time to go without plopping your tuckus.. 20 minutes? 30? an hour?

but everyone agrees that staking out your spot before breakfast but not heading to the pool until after lunch is in poor taste.

I like to sit and read for hours on end in the Solarium. I like shade and I hate being near the pool, so I seldom claim any 'desired' locations. I would prefer a window seat or one of the cushioned sets, but those get snapped up just as fast as the poolside ones.

But I am also terrified that If I do get up for 5 minutes to hit the loo, or grab a soft serve, I will come back and find my chair taken and someone haughtily telling me chair hogging is not allowed and will not listen to my protestations that I was gone for under 10 minutes. so I gather everything up and run the risk of not being able to get a chair upon my return.

I will, however tell anyone the truth who asks if the chair next to me with a single flip flop on it has been occupied within the time span I have been there. and I WILL tell you if you move the guy in the hot tub not ten feet away's pool towel and tee shirt. and I will not care of you get prissy with me. as far as I am concerned, being in the water is not chair hogging as you are within sight of the chair.

I get it, but I have heard others claim that continued use for such a long time is hogging as well. I was just curious if that sentiment still existed.

FWIW, yes I've been around 10+ years. Opinions evolve. ;)

I just had an idea. All loungers could be equipped with digital timers on the top. While someone is sitting in the lounger, the timer stays at zero, sensing the body weight. As soon as they get up, it starts counting up, showing how long the chair has been unoccupied. Problem solved!!! :D

I just had an idea. All loungers could be equipped with digital timers on the top. While someone is sitting in the lounger, the timer stays at zero, sensing the body weight. As soon as they get up, it starts counting up, showing how long the chair has been unoccupied. Problem solved!!! :D

Great minds and all that :D

'Cheaper' version of your idea posted 2 minutes earlier!! :o

Better yet, rig each chair with high voltage electricity and if it detects no weight or movement in an hours time, send a high charge throughout the chair and just vaporize whatever they had holding the chair:)

even you should be aware of what the common designation is: someone who 'claims' ownership but does not actually occupy the chair for an extended length of time. sure experts disagree on what is an acceptable length of time to go without plopping your tuckus.. 20 minutes? 30? an hour?

but everyone agrees that staking out your spot before breakfast but not heading to the pool until after lunch is in poor taste.

I like to sit and read for hours on end in the Solarium. I like shade and I hate being near the pool, so I seldom claim any 'desired' locations. I would prefer a window seat or one of the cushioned sets, but those get snapped up just as fast as the poolside ones.

But I am also terrified that If I do get up for 5 minutes to hit the loo, or grab a soft serve, I will come back and find my chair taken and someone haughtily telling me chair hogging is not allowed and will not listen to my protestations that I was gone for under 10 minutes. so I gather everything up and run the risk of not being able to get a chair upon my return.

I will, however tell anyone the truth who asks if the chair next to me with a single flip flop on it has been occupied within the time span I have been there. and I WILL tell you if you move the guy in the hot tub not ten feet away's pool towel and tee shirt. and I will not care of you get prissy with me. as far as I am concerned, being in the water is not chair hogging as you are within sight of the chair.

I was going to ask as well. See it mentioned a lot on here, but never have gotten a detailed description as to what is and is not considered chair hogging. For example, when we go to the pool we put all of our towels, shirts, shoes, etc. on a single chair. We will probably be at the pool/hot tub for an hour or two and won't actually use the chair, but there's no where else to keep our stuff where it won't get wet, kicked, or walked on and we can keep an eye on it.

I think that might be part of the problem with Royal enforcing it; the rules would have to be extremely clearly defined, including time frame and whether or not being in the pool/hot tub is sufficient. For the OP story, it was easy; anything there overnight when the beach is empty

Chair rental by the hour.

When I first started cruising 40 years ago, a fee was common for deck chairs. The first time one was needed, a deck attendant took the fee and set up your chair in the requested location if available. There was a place on the chair for your name and cabin number to be attached. The chair was yours in that spot for the rest of the cruise. The system worked very well.

Our favorite spots were either on the fantail looking out to the wake or down on the promenade deck.

Of course, this was in the era before many cruise ships became sardine cans with inadequate public space for the number of passengers crammed on board.

I like the idea of a timer on the chair but what if I lose track of time enjoying the hot tub? Do I lose my chair? And what happens to my stuff? [emoji53] Let's face it, they a) need more loungers, b) need a better system for chair patrol, and c) need lockers to put your stuff if you're not planning on returning to a chair & just need a place to stow your stuff while you're in the pool or hot tub

for that price..hell, less, I can just buy new deck chairs and umbrellas. the CG now has free furniture. Hmm, maybe they can auction it off at the end of the season and pad their budget.

chair hogging is done by people who could care less if they lose the ten cent paperback they bought at the thrift store or borrowed from the ship's library. they don't leave anything of real value to claim their spot.

For a fraction of that, I think I could find the guy selling trinkets and have him come take a break in the chair every 30 minutes until I get there :D;):D

I don't see anything wrong with saving a chair for a spouse. I'm an early riser. I get up early, head to the pool area, & get 2 chairs. (Sometimes even 4 chairs if other family members are with us). My husband comes about an hour later. We eat breakfast rather quickly, as heaven forbid we're away from our chairs for 30 minutes. We're back at the chairs & will be there at all times except for a trip to shops, the restroom, etc.

I've seen others do this & it doesn't bother me. So what if they're saving chairs for an hour. They just don't put a towel down & walk away. One person is there.

Just get yourself up early & get a chair.

I don't see anything wrong with saving a chair for a spouse. I'm an early riser. I get up early, head to the pool area, & get 2 chairs. (Sometimes even 4 chairs if other family members are with us). My husband comes about an hour later. We eat breakfast rather quickly, as heaven forbid we're away from our chairs for 30 minutes. We're back at the chairs & will be there at all times except for a trip to shops, the restroom, etc.

I've seen others do this & it doesn't bother me. So what if they're saving chairs for an hour. They just don't put a towel down & walk away. One person is there.

Just get yourself up early & get a chair.

It's tough to give that last line, when your spouse isn't getting up early to get a chair as well. Not that I disagree with you on that, I think saving a chair for a spouse is not that big a deal, so long as it's not too long a time.

The problem, especially when you throw in the "sometimes even 4 chairs", is for some that could turn into "sometimes even 16 chairs" if they're there with a big family group. Is there a limit in your view of how many chairs you can save, and is that limit based on just because you need 2-4 chairs?