free gratuties are in next promo!!! wow

luckyinpa

Thank u! Will do that now.

Would the terms and conditions be listed on the Norweigan site?

Usually found at the very bottom of most promotional pages.

Here are the T&Cs for the current promotion:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/FreeAtSea-Aug2016?hide_hf=true

Here is a PDF of them:

http://mrose.org/cc/Free%20at%20Sea%20Aug%202016%20Terms%20Conditions%20NCL.pdf

Edited by triptolemus

We originally had taken the UBP and the dining package for our cruise that is still pretty far out . Not being huge drinkers we were never really sure about the UBP being worth it for us , I saw that they added the Free service charges(gratuities) so I called our NCL vacation planner and asked if I could switch it ,he said sure and after it was said and done ,our cabin price remained the same and Less the 284.40 drink gratuities and less the Service charges of 270.00 nothing changed but the final price , it was a saving of $554.40 .

Edited by JohnHall1965

We originally had taken the UBP and the dining package for our cruise that is still pretty far out . Not being huge drinkers we were never really sure about the UBP being worth it for us , I saw that they added the Free service charges(gratuities) so I called our NCL vacation planner and asked if I could switch it ,he said sure and after it was said and done ,our cabin price remained the same and Less the 284.40 drink gratuities and less the Service charges of 270.00 nothing changed but the final price , it was a saving of $554.40 .

Hmmm I'm a bit confused. I'm not a big drinker either. I do like soda and water though.

You ended up selecting the UBP and Dining?

Just wanted to say thanks OP. We booked Escape Haven on Breakaway Saturday and I came home yesterday and saw your post. I got online about an hour ago and checked and our cabin price is the same. I called and was able to get the new promo which was the same as what I booked but now the $50 port credit is replaced with the gratuties. We werent going to use the shore credit so this was great. Thanks so much!

Hmmm I'm a bit confused. I'm not a big drinker either. I do like soda and water though.

You ended up selecting the UBP and Dining?

I think it was your post I answered with regard to the 18% gratuities on the other thread. The gratuities are $14.22 a day, so if you drank 4 sodas a day, you would come out even, if you drank more you would come out ahead versus paying for the drinks. In addition to alcoholic drinks (liquor and beer), you can get sodas, and virgin drinks; ala, virgin strawberry daiquiris.

The dining package would cost you $12.42 in gratuities for the three meals.

I am SO bummed out about this! We booked the Haven for Sept 11 and I called my personal consultant at NCL who booked this cruise. She says because I have made final payment they cannot change promos. She says if I cancel and rebook I would have to pay the cancellation fee!

I NEVER have used the shore credit and this would have been so appreicated :(

i looked up t and c:

Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 48 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. Bookings made within 48 hours to departure can choose promotion at time of booking.

Offer is for new individual FIT reservations and new speculative groups delegates.

Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing speculative group and count towards tour conductor credits.

-------------

the statement that the choice must be made 48 hours before booking to me implies it could be changed. i dont understand why this statement is even in the rules. it saying cannot be changed on board implies it can be changed off board lol ;)

but i'm no atty , i just play one on tv.

i swear i've seen people change their perks even after final payment but i'm probably dreaming

Just wanted to say thanks OP. We booked Escape Haven on Breakaway Saturday and I came home yesterday and saw your post. I got online about an hour ago and checked and our cabin price is the same. I called and was able to get the new promo which was the same as what I booked but now the $50 port credit is replaced with the gratuties. We werent going to use the shore credit so this was great. Thanks so much!

you are welcome and the timing was very lucky for me as i was ready to book but the very nice lady told me to wait a day for the service charge deal

to me this makes NCL look very good in my eyes. i dont know if she broke any rules or not but regardless i'm very glad she told me (and you guys in effect)

dont forget to write a review, i love reading them

i looked up t and c:

Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 48 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. Bookings made within 48 hours to departure can choose promotion at time of booking.

Offer is for new individual FIT reservations and new speculative groups delegates.

Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing speculative group and count towards tour conductor credits.

-------------

the statement that the choice must be made 48 hours before booking to me implies it could be changed. i dont understand why this statement is even in the rules. it saying cannot be changed on board implies it can be changed off board lol ;)

i swear i've seen people change their perks even after final payment but i'm probably dreaming

On another thread, the poster reported they were told they couldn't change the perks from one promotion to another after final payment, but they could cancel their cruise paying the cancellation fee and re-booking under the new promotion.

Yes, posters have reported changing their perks after final payment, but that is changing them within their promotion, not changing to a new promotional offer.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think it was your post I answered with regard to the 18% gratuities on the other thread. The gratuities are $14.22 a day, so if you drank 4 sodas a day, you would come out even, if you drank more you would come out ahead versus paying for the drinks. In addition to alcoholic drinks (liquor and beer), you can get sodas, and virgin drinks; ala, virgin strawberry daiquiris.

The dining package would cost you $12.42 in gratuities for the three meals.

Thank u. Ugh I shouldn't be drinking 4 sodas a day lol. It's always nice to have a beer or two a day though. Tough call on what is best for me. Looks like I don't need to decide upon booking though.gives me time to think.

i looked up t and c:

-------------

I believe the issue is they can change perks to ones that were offered when they purchased their cruise. In this case the prepaid DSC was not being offered when they purchased so they can not switch to them with out cancelling and rebooking with the new perks.

My cruise is not until next Sept. I booked with the UBP and SDP (4 meals). While my cruise price did not change from what it was last week, it is still $200 more than what it was when I booked. For me it would not be worth cancelling and rebooking with the new terms since my base rate would go up what I am gaining in getting the DSC prepaid. While I would save on the UBP gratuities I would also lose out on the UBP package which to me is worth the cost of UBP gratuties if nothing else changes.

We switched our UBP to the free gratuities , which caused the 284.40 drink service charge and the 270.00 service charge amounts to come OFF off our booking amount

Had you already paid and now are due a refund? If so, wondering how they are handling that part.

I think I have a good question. LOL

Because I'm going solo and choosing 2 bonus perks plus a $50 onboard credit (no idea what I can use it for)

Would the surcharges or fees be double since rooms are based on 2 people?

The cruise I might take charges more for solo but not double. Special circumstance I guess as I think the ship is repositioning.

Thanks

I think I have a good question. LOL

Because I'm going solo and choosing 2 bonus perks plus a $50 onboard credit (no idea what I can use it for)

Would the surcharges or fees be double since rooms are based on 2 people?

The cruise I might take charges more for solo but not double. Special circumstance I guess as I think the ship is repositioning.

Thanks

If you are talking about the service charges and the 18% gratuities on the dining package or beverage package, the answer is no. You will just be paying for yourself.

This is very useful. Thanks for posting.

I was stuck with SDP+internet, which I didn't want.

Now will get SDP+DSC.

Way better.

Also, FYI, these aren't really gratuities. They do not make it over to the crew. The crew gets a fixed amount, and adjusting the DSC does not change anyone's compensation.

This is very useful. Thanks for posting.

Also, FYI, these aren't really gratuities. They do not make it over to the crew. The crew gets a fixed amount, and adjusting the DSC does not change anyone's compensation.

When you make a statement like that could you please give us a little more info so we know if this is your opinion only or if there is truth to the statement.

When you make a statement like that could you please give us a little more info so we know if this is your opinion only or if there is truth to the statement.

100% truth directly from staff I have spoken with.

It's not just NCL. Other similar lines pull the same crap. It's an industry-wide sham.

Basically the crew is given a fixed salary, and then are given fixed "gratuities" on top of it. This does not correspond at all to the amount of money collected from passengers on the ship.

The money collected for the DSC is simply used to reimburse NCL for crew pay.

If you do remove DSC, it will not affect anyone's pay.