Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising weather

feeesshinthesea

Opt for winter and wind. I used to ski so basically I dressed as if I was going skiing for our June Alaska cruise. Week before had been in the 70s, but our week was drizzly and cold.

One great thing about HAL ships is the glass dome Lido pool area which is like a cozy sun room, where you can view the "outdoors" but get to be "indoors". Crow's Nest works as well if you find it too cold to be outdoors.

But to get the full effect of Glacier Bay you will want to be up front where you can go from side to side, out doors. And listen to the glaciers, as well as see them. The captain moves the ship around so all sides get a good view if you want a more stationary place to watch.

Keep in mind one can buy plenty of cold weather gear in any Alaska port or even on the ship if you don't bring what you need for the weather you get that exact day. These people have to live with this weather all year long so the stores are full of choices. They even have cheap tourist "fleece packs" of a zip up jacket, gloves and scarf right at the port disembarkation spot.

Edited by OlsSalt

We have been there in late August and in early May.

Glacier Bay is much colder than any of the ports you will visit---due to the glaciers

I wore long johns, a thermal undershirt, regular shirt, wool sweater, heavy fall jacket, scarf, toque and gloves. Added to that, while on our balcony I had the heavy blanket supplied by HAL wrapped around me. I didn't freeze but was none too warm either.

This year on that cruise, the weather in Ketchikan was short sleeve weather but Glacier Bay was as I described. Nice, but cold.

We have been there in late August and in early May.

Glacier Bay is much colder than any of the ports you will visit---due to the glaciers

I wore long johns, a thermal undershirt, regular shirt, wool sweater, heavy fall jacket, scarf, toque and gloves. Added to that, while on our balcony I had the heavy blanket supplied by HAL wrapped around me. I didn't freeze but was none too warm either.

This year on that cruise, the weather in Ketchikan was short sleeve weather but Glacier Bay was as I described. Nice, but cold.

I was dressed the same way for our August cruise.. Many times we were able to strip down to a sweater, so layers were the norm.. I had long silk underwear on every day..:)

We were there one the first cruise in early May 2014 and I wore shorts and a t shirt. I had many people tell me that they wished they had brought shorts. We had 7 wonderful days of shine and glorious weather.

The only time we used HAL's blankets was late at night while we were on our balconies. The ocean was as smooth as glass.

Edited by cbr663

The weather in Alaska, including in September, is totally unpredictable. I have been there in September when they said it was the best weather all season. It was sunny, and hot---yes, including at sea. Sunburn weather.

I have also been there in September when it was cold, rainy, and miserable. Two years ago Glacier Bay day on the Volendam cruise was the worst weather I have ever experienced there. I tried to go outside, it was pouring, and back in I went.

Usually it's a cloudy day, cool.

You just can never tell until you get there. Be prepared with clothes to layer. A plastic rain poncho isn't a bad thing to have with you, either.

just returned. like everyone has responded dress in layers. my friends bought skier pants which you can snap off if the weather gets warmer. hats and gloves. also i didnt but others who have cruised in alaska have suggested the balcony rooms. the view is magnif. enjoy!

We have been there several different times in several different months. Like the posters are stating, Glacier Bay is the coldest place you will visit on your cruise.

When sunny, it is still cold.

However, even in the rain, the snow or sun, it is spectacular. You will be sailing in the Glacier Bay National Park for several hours. So dress in layers so you can spend as much time as you want outdoors.

The Park is more than 3.3 million acres (although you won't see all of it on your cruise :)) with amazing mountains, glaciers, rainforests, wildlife dotting the coastlines and fjords.

Glacier Bay has a maritime climate, influenced by ocean currents. In August, you can expect highs in the low 60s, however, we have been there and it was 34 F.

Good rain gear is essential. April, May and June are the driest months of the year. September and October tend to be the wettest.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi - I'm on the same cruise. I've been checking the weather channel for Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay etc. and for some reason it consistently shows Glacier Bay as being far warmer than all the other ports. I figured this had to be incorrect because why would the weather get warmer (in the '80's) the farther north we went? Anyway I found another website glacierbay.org and it links to the actual weather for the area - it's very cold there now. Look here and you'll see the 10 day forecast.

https://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Glacier_Bay_National_Park.html?bannertypeclick=miniWeather04

Last Tuesday I was in Glacier Bay, our faces got sun burned and we where dressed in layers. Think of a sunny day of skiing. Sunglasses and a beanie. Most of the trip was gray and wet. Rained at 2 of 3 SE ports.

Pack a multi use shoe with waterproof properties. I suppose if your traveling from somewhere that's 95 degrees everyday, you better bring that parka. I'm from the NW, 55 and rain and I still go with flip flops

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi - I'm on the same cruise. I've been checking the weather channel for Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay etc. and for some reason it consistently shows Glacier Bay as being far warmer than all the other ports. I figured this had to be incorrect because why would the weather get warmer (in the '80's) the farther north we went? Anyway I found another website glacierbay.org and it links to the actual weather for the area - it's very cold there now. Look here and you'll see the 10 day forecast.

https://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Glacier_Bay_National_Park.html?bannertypeclick=miniWeather04

Are you using The Weather Channel site? It incorrectly shows weather for Glacier National Park in Montana when you search for Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. I tried emailing them to get them to fix the error, and their customer service people are apparently too clueless about geography to even understand the problem. :rolleyes:

When you are at Majorie Glacier you are sitting in a giant bowl of ice water. Even though it was sunny and we were dressed well, the wind on our faces made it difficult to stay outside very long. If you've got a ski mask, bring it. And sunglasses!

Are you using The Weather Channel site? It incorrectly shows weather for Glacier National Park in Montana when you search for Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. I tried emailing them to get them to fix the error, and their customer service people are apparently too clueless about geography to even understand the problem. :rolleyes: __________________

Sherry

I noticed that as well. I made sure it was Alaska and no Montana but it still has the higher temps there. I agree they have a problem! It didn't make sense that it would be that hot the further north we were. I'll be there in a week and 1/2 - yay! :)