what 'new to you' foods did you try on board?

luckyinpa

I tried kippers for breakfast in the MDR on our last cruise. They were way too salty for my palate, but at least now I know what they are.

But the one good thing that I learned on the cruise is that you can order "small" portions of any entree, which end up being half to three-quarters the size of a normal entree. Perfect size when you want to try a variety of dishes.

I tried kippers for breakfast in the MDR on our last cruise. They were way too salty for my palate, but at least now I know what they are.

But the one good thing that I learned on the cruise is that you can order "small" portions of any entree, which end up being half to three-quarters the size of a normal entree. Perfect size when you want to try a variety of dishes.

this is good advice. i didnt know that. i hate wasting food. so i just say can i have a small portion of X because i dont know if ill like it or not?

this is good!

They weren't the last time we were there, we were told which meats were safe.

at the fogo restaurants on land , with my ex, we would have the manager run through all that was safe to eat.

good recommendation for at sea too.

Enjoy - it's an adventure. Accept suggestions from the staff

Great suggestion. Some will just give you "The X is the most popular thing on the menu tonight" (not helpful). But when they think about your question and give you an answer, it's usually spot on, particularly in the specialty restaurants.

Huh, we haven't had this same experience, but we haven't asked in a few years.

Huh, we haven't had this same experience, but we haven't asked in a few years.

It depends on the waiter - inconsistent. Some will, some won't. Some just say- just eat what you want and leave the rest.

On one Alaskan cruise (Princess) I tried squid steak as an entree. Delicious! On a different cruise (Regent) I tried foie gras as an appetizer and loved it too. On another cruise (Oceania) I tried a duck watermelon salad and miso sea bass and went back to get it again! If I see something different, I'll try it!

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

i was wondering what you took a risk on and did it work out well....or not:eek:

i'm in a haven room and i see they have duck and i've seen some other things on board i may take a chance on. only live once:p

ditto with drinks. i'm not normally a drinker but to be able to try something and not worry about the price is very alluring, i admit

I like trying new things but be aware the duck they have is not roasted duckling which is more of a tender will cooked poultry type texture but rather is cooked slightly rare and is more of a tough meaty texture. I didn't care for it but my sister liked it.

The crabcakes Benedict is no longer available in the Haven restaurant

They were offering Lobster eggs benedict which was delicious in the Haven last month on Escape. They seem to change their menus quite frequently so who knows what's being offered now.

Tried Escargot a few years back. Not for me. Staying in the Haven on Escape next week and hoping to try Fois Grois for the first time. Other than that I'm typically a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Tried Escargot a few years back. Not for me. Staying in the Haven on Escape next week and hoping to try Fois Grois for the first time. Other than that I'm typically a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

You do know that Foie Gras is liver? I actually love liver but I know many people do not. Despite my love of liver the Foie Gras was very greasy when I tried the filet with Foie Gras in the Haven. But I loved the liver pate which is made with the same type of goose liver on the appetizer section.

I'll have to give this a try whilst I'm around France, I've heard mixed review so ultimately its down to the taste test!

You do know that Foie Gras is liver? I actually love liver but I know many people do not. Despite my love of liver the Foie Gras was very greasy when I tried the filet with Foie Gras in the Haven. But I loved the liver pate which is made with the same type of goose liver on the appetizer section.

I'm not a huge fan of liver, I find it to be quite dry with an odd texture. Liver pate on the other hand is lovely on toast or in a sandwich!

Yes, I like liver but I tend to pay for it with indigestion afterwards. I'll just try a little bite if I do end up trying it.

can you order the filet with the FG on the side :) i'm willing to take a bite of it but i dont want my filet messed up if i dont like the FG

can you order the filet with the FG on the side :) i'm willing to take a bite of it but i dont want my filet messed up if i dont like the FG

Yes, just ask but be very specific as there can be misunderstanding through translation. Perhaps ask that the FG be served on a separate plate or that it be served before you receive your steak. I can't recall what we asked but it definitely didn't translate - can't recall so it obviously didn't have an impact.

Enjoy!

Perhaps it's a ship thing. For us, on the Pearl this past April, any server that we had knew what I meant when I asked for small/half portions. Pasta came in a smaller bowl. Meats were probably a little less consistent because the plate was the same size; at one dinner, I remember thinking "This looks like a normal portion." But I felt less guilty eating a "smaller" portion :D

It depends on the waiter - inconsistent. Some will, some won't. Some just say- just eat what you want and leave the rest.
Edited by atomax