what 'new to you' foods did you try on board?

luckyinpa

i was wondering what you took a risk on and did it work out well....or not:eek:

i'm in a haven room and i see they have duck and i've seen some other things on board i may take a chance on. only live once:p

ditto with drinks. i'm not normally a drinker but to be able to try something and not worry about the price is very alluring, i admit

On our first cruise about 5 yrs ago Myself and my then 9 yr old son decided to be adventurous and try new things. Discovered we liked Escargot, Ahi Tuna Tartare was Meh and didn't like Caviar! You don't mind trying when your not paying extra if you don't like it!

Hotdogs - you can get there almost everywhere on the ship ... in the buffet, in O'Sheehan's and from the roaming hotdog cart.

Plus, it's available from the Room Service Menu, complimentary to some :D

I took one bite from OSH's - it was buried with other trimmings. Someone said, it was comfort food ... go figured. The meatloaf, just, didn't appeal to me. Missed the crab cake and summer roll.

f2bfdabdb82418ac461b483a3003d968.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Hotdogs - you can get there almost everywhere on the ship ... in the buffet, in O'Sheehan's and from the roaming hotdog cart.

What is this roaming hot dog cart of which you speak? Is it only on certain ships?

--Michael

On our first cruise about 5 yrs ago Myself and my then 9 yr old son decided to be adventurous and try new things. Discovered we liked Escargot, Ahi Tuna Tartare was Meh and didn't like Caviar! You don't mind trying when your not paying extra if you don't like it!

Caviar is very variable. Good caviar is lovely, cheap caviar is bleh (I bet the cruise line's caviar was the cheap lumpfish stuff).

It's "exclusive" to the Breakaway -

http://www.worldcruiseindustryreview.com/uploads/newsarticle/4194703/images/451594/large/sabretts.jpg

Spotted the cart last year outside LeBistro but didn't see it this year, our friends saw up by H2O.

Of course, you can get them all over in New York City on dry land ... and then, of course, Coney Island's famous Nathan hot dog.

I'm a foodie, so during my last cruise, I didn't see anything on the menu that I hadn't already tried. But I sampled a pretty wide variety... about three-quarters of it was quite good. Some was eh, okay. A couple of things were just not good, but that was a pretty small group. The seafood was uniformly good -- we had a salmon tartare that was delicious. I don't know if that's a regional thing only in Alaska, or if it's served fleet-wide, but you should really try it.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that the duck confit was quite good too -- which is one of the things the OP was mentioning...

Edited by trivimp

We're considering a minor celebration in the Moderno Churrascaria Brazilian-style steakhouse on NCL Sun. We're hoping it's gluten free otherwise it's a no-go for my wife. :(

A lot of the meat is gluten free, plus lots of salad bar options, and the delicious cheese bread (made with tapioca flour - I now make it at home for my dd who has celiac).

A lot of the meat is gluten free, plus lots of salad bar options, and the delicious cheese bread (made with tapioca flour - I now make it at home for my dd who has celiac).

Thanks very much for the input. We have been to steakhouses where they were unable to even provide a GF steak! :eek: Cross-contamination has a lot to answer for. However, I did wonder about any marinades, etc, so it's good to read your post. My wife will be pleased. :) The cheese bread looks interesting too - something new, indeed!

That cheese bread at Moderno is a revelation. I went on the cruise eating a low carb diet. Until I had that cheese bread. Amazing!

i was wondering what you took a risk on and did it work out well....or not:eek:

i'm in a haven room and i see they have duck and i've seen some other things on board i may take a chance on. only live once:p

ditto with drinks. i'm not normally a drinker but to be able to try something and not worry about the price is very alluring, i admit

Food wise, I have on cruises been able to try Caviar(too salty), Liver Pate which was good, Alligator(It was Alligator fritters) which also good, Rabbit and I found that it was delish too. I ask for 1/2 portions if I am unsure, but in general I have been happy with everything. Some I will not try because I have a texture issue with things I eat(slimey things like mushrooms and oysters make me gag and I can't do it, napkin time!)

Drinks, I will try about anything but tend not to drink it if I don't like it so am looking forward to the UBP so I don't have to worry about the bill for those extra drinks.

Have fun with it, many times this is the only chance you may get to try certain things. Oh and duck is awesome, a bit greasy but it is really good and I am sure you would enjoy it

The BA Haven Restaurant is wonderful. Alex is an excellent waiter; the entire staff is wonderful

Menu is pretty basic but these are some items you may consider:

Breakfast - try the crab eggs Benedict. If you have a sweet tooth - the French toast (I found it TOO sweet but others raved)

Lunch - not adventurous but my mom raved about the Pork chop. Portions are large! Brie burger was good but Cobb salad is my favorite

Dinner - the tuna appetizer or the beet salad; risotto was ok. The entrees were all good - the lamb chops were perfect as was the 1. 5 lb lobster. Or order a lobster tail with any entree.

LeBistro - the lobster was good - the sauce is very rich. Followed by the chocolate fondue is just TOO much for one or two people

Moderno - the meat was meh to salty. The cheesebread is all that the other OPs have posted. The fried cheese is also really good. If you've never tried hearts of palm - they're on Modernos salad bar

LaCucina - excellent tiramisu

The Indian food in the buffet is quite good. Didn't try the specialty lunch buffets in Moderno but heard they were good - Indian, Mediterranean and Bavarian.

Enjoy - it's an adventure. Accept suggestions from the staff

Also Lots of different drinks available - Mr Worldwide and the Toma were my favorites. The chili mule was different and ok for a half of one and done. The Haven bartenders all had their special drinks - just ask.

And next cruise go on the Escape and try Bayamo and Food Republic - much more interesting than the BA restaurants

ENJOY. Have a great time and tell us about your food adventures upon your return

The BA Haven Restaurant is wonderful. Alex is an excellent waiter; the entire staff is wonderful

Breakfast - try the crab eggs Benedict. If you have a sweet tooth - the French toast (I found it TOO sweet but others raved)

Lunch - not adventurous but my mom raved about the Pork chop. Portions are large! Brie burger was good but Cobb salad is my favorite

Dinner - the tuna appetizer or the beet salad; risotto was ok. The entrees were all good - the lamb chops were perfect as was the 1. 5 lb lobster. Or order a lobster tail with any entree.

LeBistro - the lobster was good - the sauce is very rich. Followed by the chocolate fondue is just TOO much for one or two people

Moderno - the meat was meh to salty. The cheesebread is all that the other OPs have posted. The fried cheese is also really good. If you've never tried hearts of palm - they're on Modernos salad bar

The Indian food in the buffet is quite good. Didn't try the specialty lunch buffets in Moderno but heard they were good - Indian, Mediterranean and Bavarian.

Also Lots of different drinks available - Mr Worldwide and the Toma were my favorites. The chili mule was different and ok for a half of one and done. The Haven bartenders all had their special drinks - just ask.

And next cruise go on the Escape and try Bayamo and Food Republic - much more interesting than the BA restaurants

ENJOY. Have a great time and tell us about your food adventures upon your return

The crabcakes Benedict is no longer on the Haven breakfast menu

The crabcakes Benedict is no longer available in the Haven restaurant