Costa Maya Port

Banks822

I did ask the question on the port of call board, but nobody has responded. I have not been to Costa Maya yet so I'm not sure if there is a beach nearby or will we need an excursion. Since we leave at 2pm, I don't want to go to far from the ship.

I looked into Blue Kay, but that's all I've been able to find. Any suggestions on what to do with 4 teens that won't break the bank would be great!

I did ask the question on the port of call board, but nobody has responded. I have not been to Costa Maya yet so I'm not sure if there is a beach nearby or will we need an excursion. Since we leave at 2pm, I don't want to go to far from the ship.

I looked into Blue Kay, but that's all I've been able to find. Any suggestions on what to do with 4 teens that won't break the bank would be great!

I just HATE these mid afternoon departures. We are up against the same thing in San Juan next month.

There are beaches nearby. I'd recommend a cab. Check out Trip Advisor for recommendations.

The best thing to do there (IMHO) is the Mayan ruins tour and Mayan family experience offered by Native Son. But I don't think you have enough time even for just the ruins tour.

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

There is a very nice free pool at the port in Costa Maya. We went to a AI place when we were there, but it took a bit of a cab ride on the worst roads you can imagine. Lots of seaweed in the water is the thing I remember the most about that area.

Have a great cruise!

See the link to the sticky in my signature.

Any beach club along the malecon. There's also a new water park just outside the port. A bit expensive IMO for what they have, but others have enjoyed their time there. No need for ressies at most places along the malecon. PAYGO. Tram or taxi will get you there. Port has a free pool and very small beach area but overpriced food and drink.

You are in for a treat! Costa Maya is one of our favorite places to go. We made reservations with Steve at Tropicante and had a great time! He reserved some loungers and a table for us. Once we were there he arranged a snorkeling trip for 6 or 7 of us and we had several appetizers and coke products and I think our total bill was only $120 including the snorkeling. He will also let you call home from his phone if you need to check in.

You get can a great massage right on the beach for about $25/hour too!

You can catch a taxi right from the port to Mahahual (where Tropicante is) for about $2 a person I think.

Your teens will love it and this day won't break the bank. It was one of the cheapest things we have done. I just don't understand why the Carnival ships don't stay longer in Costa Maya.

See the link to the sticky in my signature.

Any beach club along the malecon. There's also a new water park just outside the port. A bit expensive IMO for what they have, but others have enjoyed their time there. No need for ressies at most places along the malecon. PAYGO. Tram or taxi will get you there. Port has a free pool and very small beach area but overpriced food and drink.

Very nicely done sir! I appreciate you taking the time to do all that.

You are in for a treat! Costa Maya is one of our favorite places to go. We made reservations with Steve at Tropicante and had a great time! He reserved some loungers and a table for us. Once we were there he arranged a snorkeling trip for 6 or 7 of us and we had several appetizers and coke products and I think our total bill was only $120 including the snorkeling. He will also let you call home from his phone if you need to check in.

You can catch a taxi right from the port to Mahahual (where Tropicante is) for about $2 a person I think.

Your teens will love it and this day won't break the bank. It was one of the cheapest things we have done. I just don't understand why the Carnival ships don't stay longer in Costa Maya.

Tropicante is a nice place to go. Problem with 2 pm departure doesnt lend itself to bars. We did spend a nice few hours there but kind of felt bad that due to overcast weather we left at about 11 and didnt spend much money there.

We like Majuhaul as well. We like to find a table under a palapa at a place that serves a fresh caught whole fried fish with all the trimmings. Easily feeds the 2 of us with some left over. :D

Last time we were there the cab going was $3 pp and the return was $2 pp. :)

Thanks for the write-up. We are there from noon to 8 and looking forward to a visit with Steve. Might have to check out the massage as the onboard services drive me nuts with the product sales pitch.

ou are in for a treat! Costa Maya is one of our favorite places to go. We made reservations with Steve at Tropicante and had a great time! He reserved some loungers and a table for us. Once we were there he arranged a snorkeling trip for 6 or 7 of us and we had several appetizers and coke products and I think our total bill was only $120 including the snorkeling. He will also let you call home from his phone if you need to check in.

I definitely endorse this. We had an awesome experience at Tropicante and Steve is a super nice guy. Made for a great inexpensive day.

We've always loved having a port stop in Costa Maya and taking the quick taxi or shuttle to Majahaul.

Does anyone remember the name of the place that has the whole fried fish?

We take the tram ($3) to the last stop (downtown). Walk 1 block to the Malecon (beach Boardwalk ) we like Big Mamas beach bar. They serve whole fried fish with the trimmings free wifi, drinks and a table/palapa and use of loungers. Taxis are readily available and take s like 10 minutes to get back tot the ship... Love Costa Maya.

We take the tram ($3) to the last stop (downtown). Walk 1 block to the Malecon (beach Boardwalk ) we like Big Mamas beach bar. They serve whole fried fish with the trimmings free wifi, drinks and a table/palapa and use of loungers. Taxis are readily available and take s like 10 minutes to get back tot the ship... Love Costa Maya.

Thank you VERY much! :)

LuLu & Roundman

The beach along the Malecon is not nearly as nice as it is a little further afield. The best we have found was at Alma Plena Eco Resort. It is actually close as the crow flies to the Malecon, but because the road washed out you have to take a winding route on some lousy roads. They include the round trip transportation with the all inclusive price. Another great place is Maya Chan. But, sadly I would not go to either one unless we were there a full day.

There are also some great excursions to the ruins. But, if doing those I would stick with a ship's excursion.

It is a shame that people are not getting a full day at Costa Maya. Thankfully, the cruise we have booked with Costa Maya has us there from 8am to 5pm.

Rent a golf Cart # 9 the fastest thing on four wheels :D. They will give you directions to the beach. But you can continue on to other locations at your option ;).

I am leery of the golf carts after an episode there where the forward/reverse went out and it did not want to go forward. Had to try to track someone down to call the rental. Luckily a nice man stopped and helped and we got it rigged enough to get back. But with such a short departure window, I certainly would not risk it.

I recommend sticking to the beach at Majaual which is only a 5-10 minute taxi or tram ride... Get some great lunch and enjoy the laid back atmosphere there without breaking the bank!

I am leery of the golf carts after an episode there where the forward/reverse went out and it did not want to go forward. Had to try to track someone down to call the rental. Luckily a nice man stopped and helped and we got it rigged enough to get back. But with such a short departure window, I certainly would not risk it.

I recommend sticking to the beach at Majaual which is only a 5-10 minute taxi or tram ride... Get some great lunch and enjoy the laid back atmosphere there without breaking the bank!

Did you not call the number that they provide :confused:? There is a supervisor patrolling the area at all times . The golf cart rentals are reasonable. We had a blast :)

Are the massages on the beach private? What do you wear? Can anyone who has been to Tropicante and Yaya advise which they like better? The lounge chairs at Yaya look better than at Tropicante. Also, can you hook up to his Wifi and use your own phone instead of using his? What about the ruins at Costa Maya? I'm trying to decide which of the ruins I want to see as we are going to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay as well.

Are the massages on the beach private? What do you wear? Can anyone who has been to Tropicante and Yaya advise which they like better? The lounge chairs at Yaya look better than at Tropicante. Also, can you hook up to his Wifi and use your own phone instead of using his? What about the ruins at Costa Maya? I'm trying to decide which of the ruins I want to see as we are going to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay as well.

Massages aren't "private". You wear whatever you are wearing on the beach that day. Swimsuits work fine. At one time El Faro next to Tropicante had great masseuses upstairs so a little more private. But not sure if he still does that. Masseuses will frequently move from one club to another so mostly you'll get a similar massage at any club.

Tropicante's loungers are good for most people. YaYas do seem a bit more comfortable. Same beach though.

Ruins in Costa Maya, assuming you have time, are good sets of ruins. The tours via Native Choice are way better than the ship sponsored tours.

Belize has several ruins with tours possible. You can do Altun Ha on your own (private vendor) as it's close by. I'd recommend that for Xunantunich and Lamanai, you use ship excursions do to the distance from port. But Belize is great for snorkeling and cave tubing. Cozumel is beach as ruins on island are small and better ruins are over on the mainland. Roatan is an excellent beach/ snorkeling stop if you head away from Mahogany Bay to West Bay or other places. No ruins on Roatan, not ever settled by Mayans or large temple building people.