Honeymoon & Zika Virus

seattleny

I booked a honeymoon cruise for my son and future daughter in law out of nyc. now i need to cancel as they are too nervous about zika virus. waiting on my rep to get back to me. Bermuda - not on the zika list according to carnival. I am sailing out on 10/8 cruise - or other wise would try to make it work...can't get down to miami by 330 - playing it too close out ny--laguardia. going to lose 1/2 payment by 9/1. bummer.:(

I am sorry to hear that..:(

I am scheduled to leave from Miami this Saturday arriving the day before. I am a bit worried but we are at least bringing bug sprays and wearing long sleeves and long pants just to be cautious. I hope things will work out for you.

I am sorry to hear that..:(

I am scheduled to leave from Miami this Saturday arriving the day before. I am a bit worried but we are at least bringing bug sprays and wearing long sleeves and long pants just to be cautious. I hope things will work out for you.

We live in Miami and so far we are not worry!

Bug sprays is ok for us long sleeves no way so hot!!! in here

temperature is in the 100's very humid.

Enjoy the beach have fun Miami Beach is beautiful.

I booked a honeymoon cruise for my son and future daughter in law out of nyc. now i need to cancel as they are too nervous about zika virus. waiting on my rep to get back to me. Bermuda - not on the zika list according to carnival. I am sailing out on 10/8 cruise - or other wise would try to make it work...can't get down to miami by 330 - playing it too close out ny--laguardia. going to lose 1/2 payment by 9/1. bummer.:(

Bermuda to date has not reported any Zika cases. If your original cruise was out of NY to Bermuda, why would you cancel that?

Miami has several areas where Zika is beginning to spread, Puerto Rico is the worst with over 10,000 reported cases.

Bermuda to date has not reported any Zika cases. If your original cruise was out of NY to Bermuda, why would you cancel that?

Miami has several areas where Zika is beginning to spread, Puerto Rico is the worst with over 10,000 reported cases.

Why not go to Bermuda or perhaps Canada

Or, just tell them to hold off on grandkids for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The CDC says 6 months is safe after being in a Zika area. You all realize Zika's main concern is pregnant women. Everyone take a deep breath and do not cancel your cruise. Just don't get pregnant.

Edited by coevan

I agree with the daughter and son, no way I would take my young wife on a cruise right now. Also we learn something new about Zika every day, it sounds like the CDC is about ready to increase the length or time between exposure and pregnancy and they are also investigating neurological damage to non pregnant victims.

I don't understand why you would cancel given no local transmission. Just because someone that lives there got it from traveling to an affected area means nothing. That could be the case in any country. Plus it's my understanding Bermuda doesn't even have the mosquito that is the primary carrier of zika.

People panic for no reason. The same mosquitos that carry zika also carry malaria, West Nile virus, and chikungunya yet no one is concerned about these even though one million people die every year from illnesses caused by these other viruses. Reminds me of the Ebola talk six months ago. Some were in a panic and yet now we hear nothing about it even though it's still present. No one talks about it because it isn't front page news anymore so no mass hysteria.

And this is coming from someone who lives in Florida and is currently 33 weeks pregnant.

I don't understand why you would cancel given no local transmission. Just because someone that lives there got it from traveling to an affected area means nothing. That could be the case in any country. Plus it's my understanding Bermuda doesn't even have the mosquito that is the primary carrier of zika.

People panic for no reason. The same mosquitos that carry zika also carry malaria, West Nile virus, and chikungunya yet no one is concerned about these even though one million people die every year from illnesses caused by these other viruses. Reminds me of the Ebola talk six months ago. Some were in a panic and yet now we hear nothing about it even though it's still present. No one talks about it because it isn't front page news anymore so no mass hysteria.

And this is coming from someone who lives in Florida and is currently 33 weeks pregnant.

As soon as the money dries up you will not hear about zika anymore either. Once they scare everybody they can, and then people start realizing they have had the chicken little panic attack for nothing, the money dies up and they have to go in search of a new scare.

The way I read this, the honeymooners are out of Miami and the OP has one for herself to Bermuda. She can not use theirs too, to not loose some...and make her cruise too.

Sorry OP and good luck...you do not need all the insurance questions that will roll in and that is personal choice to cover for oneself.

I think with lots of smart planning on spray and going to places they no doubt work on..keeping it more touristy..some good deals can be made with this Zika. It is concerning..mostly in poverty areas with high pregnancy populations..and water issues..it is so sad.

Edited by sjn911

. You all realize Zika's main concern is pregnant women. Everyone take a deep breath and do not cancel your cruise. Just don't get pregnant.

Not quite. Even if you are not pregnant, you can still get:

•Fever

•Rash

•Joint pain

•Conjunctivitis (red eyes)

•Muscle pain

•Headache

So ask yourself. What kind of a fun cruise would it be if you get bitten and end up with the above symptoms on the ship.

the honeymooners are sailing out of nyc to bermuda - i have trip planed following week out of miami - thought of taking both cruises - but other boat leave MIA on 10/8 @ 4:00pm - bermuda cruise arrives back in nyc on 10/8 - wuld be planning it a little too too close for that MIA ship departure.

honeymooners are very nervous about taking this trip as they want to start on a family right away-already have a 8 yr old. pvp says tell them to enjoy and just stay on the ship - that is what I say but nerves are still there.

Not quite. Even if you are not pregnant, you can still get:

•Fever

•Rash

•Joint pain

•Conjunctivitis (red eyes)

•Muscle pain

•Headache

So ask yourself. What kind of a fun cruise would it be if you get bitten and end up with the above symptoms on the ship.

And as I said those same mosquitos carry other diseases as well that cause issues and have been around for years and years. Should you never go anywhere that has mosquitos? And really with zika a huge number of people that get it show no symptoms and don't even know they have it.

So unless you are pregnant or trying, worrying about symptoms that only 10-20% of people even experience is a waste of time.

You WANT to cancel... :) Geeze just tell them to go on their cruise and enjoy. If you follow very simple precautions, the risk of Zika is no greater than the risk of anything else. Apply your sunscreen and then AFTER the sunscreen apply repellent that contains DEET. Especially with going to Bermuda which has about as close to zero risk as walking out into your front yard!

honeymooners are very nervous about taking this trip as they want to start on a family right away-already have a 8 yr old. pvp says tell them to enjoy and just stay on the ship - that is what I say but nerves are still there.

This is ridiculous to not go to Bermuda where there's no zika because she can't wait 6 months to get pregnant. This is quite selfish to turn down a cruise paid for by you. There must be another underlying reason they don't want to go.