Fold or roll???

lahlah57

I was going to purchase the packing cubes cause when I finally unpack on board evevything in my suitcase is a wreck even with the inside suitcase strap :confused::(

I had bought a quilt set and a sheet set. They both come in zippered clear plastic cases so I am gonna use those as packing cubes

Do you roll or fold when you use cubes?

I was going to purchase the packing cubes cause when I finally unpack on board evevything in my suitcase is a wreck even with the inside suitcase strap :confused::(

I had bought a quilt set and a sheet set. They both come in zippered clear plastic cases so I am gonna use those as packing cubes

Do you roll or fold when you use cubes?

I brought cubes this summer and have used then yet. But here is a link that (I hope works) that show how to use then. Go down to the bottom of the page and you will see a man. Click ***** him and a video will play on packing cubes.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-half-cube/d/1328C2610?CategoryId=212

Edited by geocruiser

I do both. Shirts get rolled. Pants get folded. If you've folded and it's not full, then things can shift.

The nice thing about the packing cubes is the full top. A sheet bag usually opens on a short side, making it difficult to put folded garments into.

Do several test runs to see what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I folded for over 50 years.

Then I saw this article: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html?_r=0

Naturally I didn't believe rolling would be better, but I got out my carry-on & first tried folding my clothes. After that, I tried rolling them. A whole lot more fit in with rolling than with folding! Plus, rolling worked better with my packing cubes. So now I roll my clothes.

Give a comparison test & see what works for you...

This has never failed me and I do pack in a carry on as this gentleman does, however I did buy a set of packing cases from Flight001 as they were on sale. The bundling is wonderful, but it always seems to suck on the last night, so I'm thinking of giving the ones I purchased a try. I didn't care for the Eagle Creek ones myself, but I know others might love them!

I'm a combo, some things are always rolled,some are always folded. But, mostly roll lately. At work, we were trained to do a modified bundle with folding for packing the suitcases of our guests (probably my least favorite things to do - nothing like packing up the dirty clothes of a stranger :eek: )

I look at what I'm taking on any given trip and then decide on the proper tactic.

I use a combination of fold and roll - I also use zip-top bags from the dollar store. For DH's golf shirts, I fold, then roll and will put 3 in a large zip bag. Underwear can be tightly rolled and you can put 3 pair in a quart size bag. I cross-pack so that each of us carries half of the other person's clothing. We've experienced the disaster of losing luggage en route to a cruise, so we've learned our lesson. If one of our rolling duffles decides to go on it's own vacation, both of us will still have clothing (although a limited selection) until the lost is found.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use packing cubes for both my husband and I.

Underwear can all be rolled. I can fit a week's supply of x-large tighty-whities for my husband in the small packing cube.

Knit tops, hubby's knit shorts, and my knit capris and pants are rolled.

All my husband's shirts are folded. I have found over the years that this creates less wrinkles with cotton based fabrics. This includes tee shirts. Rolling them just seems to end up with more wrinkles. The folded shirts can be folded in half again in the packing cube.

My chiffon tops are rolled, and I can get 8 -10 of those in a small cube.

For DH's button down shirts I'll leave them on their hangars, fold them (sleeves in, tail up) and pack them in a packing folder. Though I might put them in the same large (XL?) cube as his pants if nothing else goes in there. Things need to be tight. Most wrinkles occur when clothing shifts.

• 1 month later...
I've tried a few different ways, but this way was the best for eliminating wrinkles.

I packed last night for both my husband and I as we leave on Saturday. We are both working until Friday and husband is on call until Friday at midnight, not to mention all I have to do between now. I bought both my hubby and I Spacepak bags from Flight001. They definitely will not work for him. As we pack in carry ons, packing his shoes was a problem when using the Spacepak for clothing, so I bundled his. My clothing is somewhat thinner and I was able to pack in the Spacepak bags much easier. I do think it would have fit better being bundled though, so I may be going back for myself to bundling after this cruise. Hubby had a few more pieces of clothing all the way around and all of it went in with ease. I just hate dealing with bundling the last night of the cruise.....perhaps it's just because I never want to leave the ship!! :D

I'm thinking when I return, the Spacepaks will be going on Ebay.

I'm a tad confused. Why was it a problem using the Spacebags for your husband due to his shoes?

Also, you do not have to do all one or the other; use a combination of what works best for different things.

The Spacepak does not work well if you want to pack men's shoes at all. They may fit the carry on bag that Flight001 uses on their site, but my hubby has a pretty roomy Delsey carry on bag/suiter with expanders and they just don't work well. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel they are a good selection for men at all because of the design and bulk of their clothing. Eagle Creek packing folders are a much better choice if you really want to use a packing folder to keep things neat.

I bought these because I have to admit that while I am a *just what I need packer* I'm also very OCD about dirty and clean clothing together, which is why I tried these. They are nice, well made, but I don't feel they beat the bundling method.

Does the bundle method in the above video hold more than packing cubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking for myself, the bundle works best. I have left my bag packed with the Spacepak. It's orderly, but so is the hubby's. Really not worth spending the money unless you are going more than one place and bundling is a pain in that situation....even then, you can make multiple bundles. Just takes some thought.

mybag_zpsxaid2b4a.jpg

mikesbag_zpsp4m0oscu.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

The Spacepak does not work well if you want to pack men's shoes at all. They may fit the carry on bag that Flight001 uses on their site, but my hubby has a pretty roomy Delsey carry on bag/suiter with expanders and they just don't work well. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel they are a good selection for men at all because of the design and bulk of their clothing. Eagle Creek packing folders are a much better choice if you really want to use a packing folder to keep things neat.

I bought these because I have to admit that while I am a *just what I need packer* I'm also very OCD about dirty and clean clothing together, which is why I tried these. They are nice, well made, but I don't feel they beat the bundling method.

Speaking for myself, the bundle works best. I have left my bag packed with the Spacepak. It's orderly, but so is the hubby's. Really not worth spending the money unless you are going more than one place and bundling is a pain in that situation....even then, you can make multiple bundles. Just takes some thought.

mybag_zpsxaid2b4a.jpg

mikesbag_zpsp4m0oscu.jpg

My now-ex used a combination of Eagle Creek products - folder and cubes - when packing. He didn't have problems. His shoes did not go into cubes, but were snuggled into place separately. He had size 12s, but could still do a carry on.

Your photo shows one huge cube - did you not try various sizes? That is how you are able to pack into different pieces of luggage. I also use a combination of folder and cubes. The "cubes" I currently use are some of the new Eagle Creek Spectre series that do not have rigid edges and conform nicely to the confines of your luggage, some new Ebags ones and my trusty Eagle Creek Spectre folder.

Oh well, different strokes ;)

My now-ex used a combination of Eagle Creek products - folder and cubes - when packing. He didn't have problems. His shoes did not go into cubes, but were snuggled into place separately. He had size 12s, but could still do a carry on.

Your photo shows one huge cube - did you not try various sizes? That is how you are able to pack into different pieces of luggage. I also use a combination of folder and cubes. The "cubes" I currently use are some of the new Eagle Creek Spectre series that do not have rigid edges and conform nicely to the confines of your luggage, some new Ebags ones and my trusty Eagle Creek Spectre folder.

Oh well, different strokes ;)

There are two cubes in my bag....the one of clothing and the one for lingerie. You just can't see it because I have my toiletries and shoes over it. If you watch the video on Flight001's site, the gentleman that demonstrates the bags packs a massive amount of clothing into the one you see at the bottom. It works for my clothing. It does not work for the hubby. I've tried them all now. Bundling just works for us better. Not unhappy! :)

I see elements that apply in various answers above. I have studied if not tried most if not all of the methods! We travel a lot.

For cruises I just love Sadie's trick, which I do for both his and my shirts -- that is -- leave on (wire) hangers, fold sleeves in, roll-fold the hanger top over and over down to the shirttails. Makes unpacking oh-so-easy! But only for a cruise vacation.

I have tried space-bags and various Eagle Creek folders & large cubes, and finally settled on ZipLoc Big Bags, along with standard qt & gal ziplocs. I put one or two outfits of DH and mine in each other's carryon -- even though we don't plan to check the bags, you never know when the airline will insist!

The Spacebags and any other method that lets you get more clothes in the bag, ignore the airline weight limits that are being enforced more and more. I use the ZipLocs more for organization than to get more in. Between standard folding, hanger rolling, and zippy bags for smalls (which I sometimes roll) -- our IT luggage carryons are usually RIGHT at the weight limit for cabin bags... so getting more in would be counter productive.

The longest trip we have taken with carryons only was a 26-day trans-Atlantic and Mediterranean cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very old school. I've been packing the same way (more or less) since my first European trip at age 14 when my parents told me I could only bring the clothes that would fit into a small size suitcase -- and we were going for four weeks.... :eek:

As a teen, I was determined to fit in as much as possible. My father showed me how to pack more or less military style, mostly folding. I was able to fit in a lot of clothes -- not only that but since each piece was folded individually, I became an expert at being able to whisk out one or two pieces from the middle of the suitcase without disturbing the other layers. This was important since we were "on the road" and often spent only a night or two in places -- not worth fully unpacking.

I have tried different methods over the years, but since I still like taking as many clothes as I can reasonably fit in a smaller bag that I can handle, I still use this method -- it's worked well for me. I did a "side by side" trial with packing cubes a few years back, and I can definitely fit more in my bag without them. Also, since I know how to fold things, I rarely get wrinkles. (But to be fair, I don't pack clothes that I know will wrinkle badly.)