Urgent Concern - Misleading Agent

Hi All,

I was quoted by an agent for an apparent group rate.

The next day, the group price was still available but increased by $250. This person insisted the rate is still the best rate out there due to the group space and I should take it or leave it and book elsewhere at a higher price.

Since the same categories are still available, a friend had the agent quote them the same sailing for the same rooms, and the agent gave them the original price $250 lower that the travel agent claimed was no longer available and had increased.

I questioned why the agent quoted my friend the original price $250 lower and was told it was a mistake and my price is the best.

If the cabins are still available, does an agent's group price fluctuate? Are agents allowed to change group rates? I don't know if I feel comfortable with working with this agent at the $250 higher price which is still lower than the market rate.

What would you do? Is this allowed? Should I escalate this? If so, to who? Thank you for your opinions!

Hello,

If there is a travel agent who seems to be taking advantage of customers and mis-representing group pricing, is there a department at RCL I can escalate this to?

Is there any chance they can honor the rate for the cabins I have held aside if it's at a group rate but I don't feel comfortable booking with this person?

Thank you.

Hello,

If there is a travel agent who seems to be taking advantage of customers and mis-representing group pricing, is there a department at RCL I can escalate this to?

Is there any chance they can honor the rate for the cabins I have held aside if it's at a group rate but I don't feel comfortable booking with this person?

Thank you.

I believe that the agents can sell them at whatever they want to. Don't see how this involves Royal. This is between you and the travel agent. I highly doubt that Royal will honour group rates from a TA.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I believe that the agents can sell them at whatever they want to. Don't see how this involves Royal. This is between you and the travel agent. I highly doubt that Royal will honour group rates from a TA.

Agents cannot sell for less than Royal unless they are offering a group rate (but they can add perks). I'm with you - no way Royal is going to honor a group rate offered by an agent. Just not happening.

If I was calling someone a "misleading agent" and questioned their integrity or honesty, I'd never book a trip with them..............

Agree, the agent sounds either fishy or incompetent. Either way, not someone I'd like to deal with.

Sorry - if prevailing rate is higher than what an agent's group rate is, there is no way that RCCL is going to honor it. This is why while price is important, it's not the most important factor when booking a cruise. If you don't trust the agent, do not book with them. It's worth it to pay more money to use an agent that you trust. Otherwise, if there is a problem, you will have big issues.

Agents cannot sell for less than Royal unless they are offering a group rate (but they can add perks). I'm with you - no way Royal is going to honor a group rate offered by an agent. Just not happening.

Yes I realize that they can't sell for less than Royal except for group rates but I don't believe that there is anything that is stopping them from selling the cabins that they obtained at a group rate for more than the group rate.

Hi All,

I was quoted by an agent for an apparent group rate.

The next day, the group price was still available but increased by $250. This person insisted the rate is still the best rate out there due to the group space and I should take it or leave it and book elsewhere at a higher price.

Since the same categories are still available, a friend had the agent quote them the same sailing for the same rooms, and the agent gave them the original price $250 lower that the travel agent claimed was no longer available and had increased.

I questioned why the agent quoted my friend the original price $250 lower and was told it was a mistake and my price is the best.

If the cabins are still available, does an agent's group price fluctuate? Are agents allowed to change group rates? I don't know if I feel comfortable with working with this agent at the $250 higher price which is still lower than the market rate.

What would you do? Is this allowed? Should I escalate this? If so, to who? Thank you for your opinions!

Are you comparing apples to apples? Do both quotes include cabin, taxes and port fees? If everything is the same.... then you have a valid concern and I'd look for a more honest and upfront agent.

Hello,

Thank you.

Also your post is misleading! One more time, you seem to have a shady TA, RCL can't help you.:rolleyes:

Hello,

Thank you.

Fraud is a very strong word - without more details as to why you feel your travel agent is shady/fraudulant its hard to answer your questions

Group rates are assigned by the group department at Royal - I don't know an agent that would sell the cabins for a different price than negotiated - that would cause them some problems down the road with Royal Caribbean. Travel agencies cannot sell for a different price than Royal but they can offer amenities to make up their sales.

When a Travel Agency has Group Rates on a sailing , and those rates are lower than current cruise line rates, they may "mark up" the group rate as

extra income for them . This is very common especially with large cruise only agencies.

Not fraud at all .

I have to agree with the "move on" theory that others expressed. The TA owns your booking. Anything you want done has to be done through them. So if you decide to upgrade, they have to do it. If the prices drop, they have to get it for you. If you choose to cancel, they have to cancel and may have cancellation fees.

A good TA is golden in my opinion. A bad TA is a nightmare. I have a great TA that I've used for years and she's been worth it.

It's easy to monitor rates. There are unending numbers of TA's that post cruise rates. Many of them you can do a "mock booking" and see what the cost will be. I'd suggest, TA or not, that you monitor the rates yourself, including on RCCL, so you know what the costs really are. Sometimes a small savings just isn't worth it.