NOROVIRUS on the Allure of the Seas right NOW!

Greek50

No - wouldn't you have a better idea than us since you are on board?

No because I am stuck in my room sick as a dog and the ship staff/guest relations is refusing to give us any information! I assume it has not yet reached the number they have to report to the CDC and they are therefore trying to keep it quiet!

Noro is common on ships, in schools, hospitals and any other places where a lot of people are reasonably confined. For most people it's not at all dangerous, although I'm sorry you're not well and it's impacting your vacation.

No because I am stuck in my room sick as a dog and the ship staff/guest relations is refusing to give us any information! I assume it has not yet reached the number they have to report to the CDC and they are therefore trying to keep it quiet!

The ship is under no obligation to give out the numbers of patients with GI symptoms at any time.

Every cruise ship, every time it enters the US, must make a report to the USPH with the numbers of reported cases of GI illness, regardless of how many or how few, even just one case, and they even have to make the report if there are no cases that trip. So, your cover up theory just won't cut it. Most people don't understand the USPH reporting protocols. What most people think of as the "reporting level" is actually the level where the ship needs to make another, "special", report to the USPH.

Sorry your sick but Noro is so common. I am a pediatric nurse and have gotten it about every year or two for the past 14 yrs of my career. It is nasty and I think about changing to another field every time I get it. We see it all the time in our office. It has happened to one of my kids one time in the past 15 cruises and he got it the evening of boarding, which means he contracted it before getting on the ship. Good luck!

The ship is under no obligation to give out the numbers of patients with GI symptoms at any time.

Every cruise ship, every time it enters the US, must make a report to the USPH with the numbers of reported cases of GI illness, regardless of how many or how few, even just one case, and they even have to make the report if there are no cases that trip. So, your cover up theory just won't cut it. Most people don't understand the USPH reporting protocols. What most people think of as the "reporting level" is actually the level where the ship needs to make another, "special", report to the USPH.

It´s also important to realize that not every GI illness is caused By noro.

Anyone have any idea how many people are affected?

First off, my sympathies to you with this.

Just out of curiosity, have you been officially diagnosed with Noro? Or is this the best guess as to why you're stuck in your room feeling like crap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was horribly sick on Freedom once before (great staff, no complaints, still my favorite cruise!) and I knew it wasn't noro--ended up being pneumonia--but there was a guy in first aid at the same time with an upset stomach yelling at the top of his lungs "Oh man, we're gonna get quarantined, we're all gonna get sick!" My husband said that there was no indication of any widespread issues but people were cleaning like crazy. It would be easy to let my mind jump to massive norovirus outbreak.

But, turns out the cleaning was a GREAT thing because while I spent forever in first aid with breathing treatments (several hours each on multiple days), I could hear the entire medical staff talk and they said "No reason to believe it's norovirus, 3 people affected" While some people probably saw the increased cleaning efforts and went into panic mode, I thought it was awesome that they took no chances even with a whopping 3 people affected.

Now I don't claim to have access to all of the info by any means, but from what I saw, they really had the system working perfectly. People get sick, maybe from noro, maybe from any number of similar things but I can only speak from my experience that RC is not hiding anything and will take extreme steps to prevent issues even when it may not even be warranted.

Sadly, It doesn't make anyone feel any better once they're sick, but it's given me peace of mind for future cruises.

Why do they have all the hand sanitizer stands around to use before you can grab a plate then????:confused:

It kills most bacteria and viruses, but not Noro. That's why they have the handwashing video now.

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water. See “Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives.”

Why do they have all the hand sanitizer stands around to use before you can grab a plate then????:confused:

Because having a sink there would be messy; because they assume people have washed their hands after going to the bathroom; because it is better than nothing; and because sanitizer does kill other bugs.