Critical Question - WiFi Connections

Jeep61

We are getting ready for Zuiderdam's NYC to Quebec City cruise in about ten days and the critical question just surfaced...

Can multiple devices use the same wifi connection at the same time?

We will seek wifi during port calls but we want to know if a laptop, a tablet, and/or a smartphone use the one account simultaneously. Do you need a hot spot to have multiple connections on one account?

This is a relax and take it easy trip for us but we cannot exist without a connection to the world and email. Help!

Thanks for your help in maintaining domestic bliss!

No, not onthe ship.Only one signed into ship wifi at the same time.

Int he terminal for Quebec C ity, there is free wi dfi and you can use as many devices as you want.

Edited by sail7seas

You can use all the devices that you want, BUT only one log in (one device at a time).

If access is key for you both at the same time, you may need to buy two different internet packages :eek: or, just take turns.

Wifi is not cheap on board and, unless there is an unlimited package, you will most likely want to use it sparingly ;) (ie., download emails, log out, compose your e's and then log back in to send).

As othershave told you, only one device at a time on board. I wanted to add that in all your Canadian ports you will find free wifi in the terminal buildings and most have tables and chairs so you can be comfortable using it. Enjoy!

we are getting ready for zuiderdam's nyc to quebec city cruise in about ten days and the critical question just surfaced...

We will seek wifi during port calls but we want to know if a laptop, a tablet, and/or a smartphone use the one account simultaneously. Do you need a hot spot to have multiple connections on one account?

this is a relax and take it easy trip for us but we cannot exist without a connection to the world and email. help!

OMG! Really?

Quebec foliage is sfarting t ot urn NowVery early if that is true. I've b een fthere so many times exactly this week and no foliage color ev en hinted at. for any of those trips. I live in Boston and hav e plenty of color here when it is time so doesn'gt matter. to me.

Edited by sail7seas

Going a little off topic here but it did get mentioned - we are leaving on the Montreal-San Diego Veendam cruise in mid-October.

We assumed we would be in prime Fall colors season on this passage. But you are saying this has already started in Boston, so shall we assume it will be well gone by the time we hit eastern Canada in Octobe and be non-existent as we move south to Maine and Mass? :(

Yes, really. While I don't need to be connected, it very much adds to the pleasure of my cruise to send email "postcards" to family back home.

Read the original post! "We cannot exist without a connection to the world and email". Again, I say! Really!

Going a little off topic here but it did get mentioned - we are leaving on the Montreal-San Diego Veendam cruise in mid-October.

We assumed we would be in prime Fall colors season on this passage. But you are saying this has already started in Boston, so shall we assume it will be well gone by the time we hit eastern Canada in Octobe and be non-existent as we move south to Maine and Mass? :(

We live in Eastern Canada. Flowers are still blooming and foliage is still green ;)

I expect no colours changing until at least October unless we get a real cold spell. The trees don't start turning until there is a frost, at least that's how it appears to me.

It was my experience that the wifi connection in the Canadian port terminals was extremely slow due to the volume of guests and crew trying to use wifi all at the same time. Rather than spending close to a half hour trying to send one email, I went back on the ship and was able to have a much faster connection using the ship wifi.

I look at paying for wifi the same way I do ordering a glass of wine or cocktail before dinner - it enhances the cruise experience. And yes, I too need/want to stay connected while I'm away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, really. While I don't need to be connected, it very much adds to the pleasure of my cruise to send email "postcards" to family back home.

One of the best uses of internet while traveling is to make our friends envious with tales of our journey! :D

Plus, many people do need to be connected so that they can check on family, home, pets, etc. I suppose it's silly in a way--if something had happened to my father, what could I do from the middle of the ocean. But it was nice to have the reassurance of emailing and knowing he was OK.

We live in Eastern Canada. Flowers are still blooming and foliage is still green ;)

I expect no colours changing until at least October unless we get a real cold spell. The trees don't start turning until there is a frost, at least that's how it appears to me.

I agree. :) We live across the Ottawa River from the Province of Quebec and the only leaves that might be turning now are on those trees that have suffered badly during this summer's heat and drought-like conditions and are dying. Although there are regions and years that vary a bit, the peak is generally around Canadian Thanksgiving, celebrated on the 2nd Monday in October. The 2016 forecast for eastern Canada is for a slightly earlier and less vivid display because of the lack of rain and the resulting stress on the tress.

We are getting ready for Zuiderdam's NYC to Quebec City cruise in about ten days and the critical question just surfaced...

This is a relax and take it easy trip for us but we cannot exist without a connection to the world and email. Help!

HI, Others have mentioned using a hotspot device that allows multiple users to use the same account at the same time. I don't know how it does with slowing down the already very, very slow speed on the ship but it's doable.

There was a blog from The Inside Cabin while on the world cruise and he gave info on the specific device he used... I can try to find it and if I do I'll post it.

We don't exactly stay connected, but we do check our email daily and do our financials online, especially necessary for our long cruises. We buy a ship internet package (which we share one device at a time) plus we buy some time in ports usually at an internet cafe for fast secure lines for very nominal fees. We find the free wifi in ports is usually overwhelmed and frustrating, and can usually get better service onboard in port while others are at Starbucks and McDonalds. m--

Hi there

We just returned yesterday from our cruise on the Veendam, it was a Boston to Montreal sailing. It was a great cruise...Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Quebec city. Everything is still lush and green with temperatures in the 80's. I wouldn't expect to see any foliage color changes at least until the beginning of Oct.

In regards to the internet availability, the connections at each port was free and pretty good. Which is more than I can say of my limited experience on the ship. I didn't have a package, all I wanted to do was print out my boarding pass for the airline (I had already checked in at the port). I tried three times each time the internet connection failed. I just gave up. I was paying the $.75/min. So I guess the connections can be hit or miss. I know some people really need to be connected, but don't worry, if your connection fails, the real world is only as far away as your next stop. :)

have a great cruise

Another thought. WiFi is not the only way to access the internet. My iPad has a cellular chip, so whenever I can use my cell phone (we use AT&T), I can use the iPad on the internet. On our last Alaska cruise it worked in all ports and about 10-15 miles entering or leaving the ports.

I cruised the Zuiderdam in May 2016. The wifi was expensive and very slow. I am in sales and need to check my emails daily to make sure all my clients needs are handled. It usually took me 2-3 minutes just to load my email each day plus and additional 10-15 minutes to respond. I also tried to share photos with my daughter on facebook but the photos just took way to long to load and was unable to send them unless I could get free wifi at port.

I did complain on my survey and asked them to consider a social network plan like Carnival has. I do hope they consider it. My husband and I have become a fan of HAL but some of us do need the internet while on vacation.

If you have a mobile phone that has a data package, you can set up the phone as a mobile hotspot and use that to connect any number of other devices like an iPad

I have used an Orange SIM which is provisioned with 1Gb of data and the connection is fast and works anywhere (in the Mediterranean)

iPhones and Samsung phones all have this capability, as do many others

Edited by chrisc2615

If you have a mobile phone that has a data package, you can set up the phone as a mobile hotspot and use that to connect any number of other devices like an iPad

I have used an Orange SIM which is provisioned with 1Gb of data and the connection is fast and works anywhere (in the Mediterranean)

iPhones and Samsung phones all have this capability, as do many others

I've used my my smartphone (Android) as a hotspot. But most of the time I connect it directly to my laptop. This is great when we're in a port where I can get a signal. So much faster than using ship's wifi.

But on sea days, I'm stuck with the ship's signal. Fortunately, I need only a quick check-in with the family, so I can manage. I've never attempted to upload a picture on the ship.