Summit Departed Bermuda about 10 hours early

DFD1

Because of the storm, The Summit departed Bermuda at dawn Friday morning for her return to Port Liberty, Bayonne New Jersey, causing her passengers to miss a whole day in Bermuda.

And this is bad or good? Would you rather have a ship go thru a storm like RCCL did a few months back?

They really had no choice, but are going to likely feel the effects nonetheless.

The computer models for Hermine show some divergence, but largely see the storm relatively stalled off the coast of Del/NJ from Sunday through Wednesday.

Because of the storm, The Summit departed Bermuda at dawn Friday morning for her return to Port Liberty, Bayonne New Jersey, causing her passengers to miss a whole day in Bermuda.

To be more fair in the wording, the storm caused the passengers to miss a whole day in Bermuda.....

To be more fair in the wording, the storm caused the passengers to miss a whole day in Bermuda.....

That's the chance you take when you sail during hurricane season. There's going to be a lot of rocking & rolling for the tail end of this cruise and the beginning of the next.

Due to the latest projected path of Hurricane Hermine, the decision has been made to revise Celebrity Summit's sailing that departed Cape Liberty, New Jersey on August 28, 2016. The ship will depart Bermuda earlier than originally scheduled on September 2, 2016 at 07:00hrs local (originally 16:30hrs). The ship will also arrive early to Cape Liberty at 20:00hrs local on September 3, 2016 to avoid the storm (originally 07:00hrs September 4th).

The safety of our guests and crew members is our top priority. At this time, we have not made any modifications to the upcoming sailing departing September 4th.

I am fairly certain they will allow the current pax to remain on the ship until Sunday morning so wouldn't count on getting on early. What would they do with 2000 pax, many who would not have flights scheduled until Sunday.

I know that. Besides even if they let people off at 8 PM Saturday, they won't have agents to check people in, etc.

I wonder if the parking garage will be open at 20:00 Sat? Customs and Immigration?

The parking garage is prepaid, so it is leave when you wish. I'm sure the gangway will be closed until the morning when the ship is cleared as the customs agents sure aren't going to work throughout the night.

Similar happened to us in 2011 when we were aboard the HAL Veendam, docked in Hamilton. Hurricane Irene was barreling down, with Manhattan in its sights. We headed back to NY a day early. Those with transportation, as in cars or pickup, were allowed to disembark Saturday morning. Those of us with flights scheduled for Sunday, however, had a bad time of it, because flights out of the city were cancelled. Airports closed, public transportation, etc.

About 400 of us were required to stay aboard, dreading the storm that night. In hindsight, it was a farce. We slept through it, awakening the next morning wondering what all the uproar was about.

BUT what about getting home? There was no way out of the city; no way off the ship, in fact. No taxis yet; transfers to airport not rearranged adequately.

Then it got really interesting. We were required, not requested mind you, but required to vacate our staterooms by 3:00 that Sunday afternoon as the crew needed to ready the ship for next sailing's arriving passengers. Understandable. We were directed to go to conference rooms area to await our reassigned stateroom. Long story short, the hours dragged by and only one crew member would address us, periodically. She was working with a walkie talkie and a clipboard! By nine p.m., my normally complacent husband had had enough and he was able to get us a room. So on MONDAY morning, we were off the ship and only able to get a flight home that night by the helpfulness of our TA. That si the short version. HAL handled it all very badly. I wrote more at length about this in posts at that time.

I certainly hope those of you having cruises affected by Hermine fare better. I especially hope your flights home are not affected as I know what it's like to be in an airport which is struggling to get back to normal after a shutdown.

Just to be clear as to why I posted about our Veendam ordeal: I want to advise those of you with planned transportation home that you will need to be very flexible and open minded. With a hurricane, even a lesser one, airlines run scared and start canceling flights. Likewise, depending on path of storm, airports may become more and more dysfunctional. If the storm's path avoids great impact on NJ and NYC, no problem. Just don't count on all the key players being in place when you get back to your departure city. Good luck.:o

They lucked out because Sunday starts their New England cruises, if they can get out of Bayonne they should be in good shape.

Ummm....not so fast. To get to New England they have to cruise around Long Island and Hermine, due to a weirdly shaped high pressure system currently over Canada, could be hanging off shore here for several days. I'm going on Summit to New England Oct. 2....I knew it when I booked and I booked it anyway....here's hoping we get lucky. :D

Ummm....not so fast. To get to New England they have to cruise around Long Island and Hermine, due to a weirdly shaped high pressure system currently over Canada, could be hanging off shore here for several days. I'm going on Summit to New England Oct. 2....I knew it when I booked and I booked it anyway....here's hoping we get lucky. :D

That's why I said if they can get out of Jersey....

Edited by dkjretired

Just to be clear as to why I posted about our Veendam ordeal: I want to advise those of you with planned transportation home that you will need to be very flexible and open minded. With a hurricane, even a lesser one, airlines run scared and start canceling flights. Likewise, depending on path of storm, airports may become more and more dysfunctional. If the storm's path avoids great impact on NJ and NYC, no problem. Just don't count on all the key players being in place when you get back to your departure city. Good luck.:o

I think this was good advice.

Hopefully Sunday disembark will work out as weather not expected to turn bad til late in the day into Monday.

Later flights may be cancelled and bridges may be closed due to wind conditions...

I am sure those on board are able to check connections and if need be adjust flights and book a hotel close to the pier..

Hope all works out for those getting off and on..