Dawn Princess Leaving the Fleet?

truckmaker

Good day everyone.

I guess that I've been living under a rock because until the cruise atlas arrived I was not aware that the Dawn is leaving the fleet. Is this new news or when was it announced and are there any indications where its going?

I realize that she their ship and they can do whatever they want with her but we were hoping to sail onboard again but it just doesn't fit the calendar at this point.

Thanks and safe journeys.

Yes, it was announced in 2015 that Dawn will be transferred to the P&O fleet in May 17.

http://www.cruisepassenger.com.au/dawn-princess-to-join-the-po-fleet/

Actually she is being transferred to P&O Australia and not P&O, which is a different, and separately managed, brand within Carnival Corporation.

Not sure how this will work for UK clients as we can currently book P&O, Seabourn, and Princess southern hemisphere cruises either on line or through Carnival's Southampton office, pay in Sterling, and have the deal subject to UK consumer protection law, whereas there appears to be no UK website or UK office for P&O Australia.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

P & O Australia is trying to upgrade its fleet here. Last year 2 HAL ships joined and became Pacific Eden and Pacific Aria. It has been a 3.5 star cruise line at best and is trying to up the ante a bit as only it and Princess sail year round in Australia. Most of the ships plying our waters are not young by any stretch of the imagination and IMO Dawn Princess is ready to go.

She's a lovely old ship with those cosy little cut out balconies. We only sailed on her once but gosh she's a beauty. Almost makes you want to give P&O a chance....

I fell in love with cruising with the Sun Class ships and would gladly sail them again. All the ships I fell in love with are now almost all gone.....

I still prefer the layout of the Sun Class ships to the newer ships.

P & O Australia is trying to upgrade its fleet here. Last year 2 HAL ships joined and became Pacific Eden and Pacific Aria. It has been a 3.5 star cruise line at best and is trying to up the ante a bit as only it and Princess sail year round in Australia. Most of the ships plying our waters are not young by any stretch of the imagination and IMO Dawn Princess is ready to go.

Friends recently sailed on their Pacific Pearl which first sailed as Sitmar FairMajesty in 1988. After merging with Princess the ship became the original Star Princess but I believe that it's leaving P&O Australia when the Dawn Princess arrives as part of their fleet upgrades.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 1 month later...
She's a lovely old ship with those cosy little cut out balconies. We only sailed on her once but gosh she's a beauty. Almost makes you want to give P&O a chance....

I agree she is starting to show her age but I have always liked the lines and comforts of the Sun class ships (Sun, Sea, Dawn).

I do hope they don't remove the ability to circumnavigate the ship on the Promenade Deck (7) for something more artsy fartsy.

I would not normally consider cruising P&O but if it was a chance to sail down "memory lane" I may seriously think it is worthwhile.

I shall be keeping a weather eye out on what the Pacific Explorer looks like post her 'make over'

Heard the same thing. Will apparently be called the Pacific Explorer.

Correct Dawn Princess will become P&O Australia's Pacific Explorer.

Dawn Princess, like Sea/Sun has been operating out of Australia for some years now, very popular with the Aussies. No tipping and Australian currency on board.

Yes, they are getting old.

Edited by NSWP

I fell in love with cruising with the Sun Class ships and would gladly sail them again. All the ships I fell in love with are now almost all gone.....

I still prefer the layout of the Sun Class ships to the newer ships.

Us too.... :(

Good day everyone.

I guess that I've been living under a rock because until the cruise atlas arrived I was not aware that the Dawn is leaving the fleet. Is this new news or when was it announced and are there any indications where its going?

I realYesize that she their ship and they can do whatever they want with her but we were hoping to sail onboard again but it just doesn't fit the calendar at this point.

Thanks and safe journeys.

Yes it's old news.