What hull art would you like to see adjusted?

Mwright91

When the Dawn came out of drydock with an updated hull art (no more dolphins and lady liberty)...it got me thinking...what other ships could use a modern update?

I think the Dawn looks much better, but I think the whole Jewel class could do a redesign.

When the Dawn came out of drydock with an updated hull art (no more dolphins and lady liberty)...it got me thinking...what other ships could use a modern update?

The Breakaway. That 15-foot high "Peter Max" splashed across the bow looks overpowering!

I know it's the artist's signature; maybe shrink it down to about 10% and move it below the waterline.

I think the Dawn looks much better, but I think the whole Jewel class could do a redesign.

Dawn doesn't have dolphins or the Statue of Liberty anymore? Pics, please! I did a Google image search, and all the results showed the hull art she's always had.

The Breakaway. That 15-foot high "Peter Max" splashed across the bow looks overpowering!

I know it's the artist's signature; maybe shrink it down to about 10% and move it below the waterline.

Ditto this. Breakaway is a Peter Max ego trip to the , well, max!

It is too gaudy for such a lovely vessel

I think they all could change or be updated except for the newer ships.

I drive past the Sky all the time. I like the hull art but its faded compared to how it used to be. The Gem has very 90's cheezy gem graphics. I never liked the Sun hull art.

I've always thought the SUN's hull was the best of the fleet.

I like most of the hull art, and the way it expresses the personality of the ship. Except Breakaway & Getaway, the only two I really think are gaudy & not particularly nautical.

Agree that the Sky is dated, but so much of the interior decor is still Polynesian, maybe the lei still fits. Love the Jewel-class art! (string of pearls for the Pearl...)

I think I may be one of the few that actually likes the phoenix on the Joy... she's gorgeous.

Breakaway is the worst in the fleet. When it was announced and I took the maiden crossing I was like... I'm arriving into NYC in that? Luckily when crossing the Atlantic we care more about the inside! :D

NCL's hull art minus Breakaway are quite beautiful. The Escape's took over the favorite spot from Norwegian Spirit which is now second. Both have lovely hull art.

The Breakaway's hull art looks like a local school's 4th grade art class project. My family laughed at loud when the the "floating head of the Statue of Liberty".

I've only seen pictures, but the exact same thought popped in my head when I first saw it. Quite juvenile.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Breakaway's hull art looks like a local school's 4th grade art class project. My family laughed at loud when the the "floating head of the Statue of Liberty".

But,,, a small piece of original art by Peter Max will run you about $35K. And the money raised by his art work paid for the restoration of the Statue of Liberty.

I think they should just leave all of it as it is (unless it looks tired and faded) - if they replace it then it costs lots of money, and that will just get passed on to the consumer.

In regards to what's good and what's not: it's art - it's not going to please everyone and doesn't really aim to either :)

In regards to what's good and what's not: it's art - it's not going to please everyone and doesn't really aim to either :)

Hear hear! Art can be fun, playful, accessible. It doesn't have to be high-falutin' or "cerebral" (read: difficult) to be good. That said, individual taste varies so much that there will never be 100% agreement on anything.

Most of the NCL hull art takes a similar theme, the ribbon, a symbolic wave breaking from the bow of the ship. A pretty basic nautical theme, but we see it expressed in many different ways -- the various strings of jewels, the blazing sun and ethereal stars, the proud flag. The Epic has the most abstracted version of this in the graphic wave imagery. Nice.

Peter Max completely eschewed the ribbon in favor of iconic New York symbols (the Statue, the skyline.) OK, I get it for a ship out of NY, but it doesn't have the same feel. It's not nautical at all. I'm not a fan, but you might be.

I just realized this morning why I find the Getaway's siren so derivative: she looks a lot like Calypso, the logo of Jacques Cousteau's famous exploration society (& also the name of his ship.) Funny, I remember Calypso as being painted on the hull of that ship, but can't find an image of it... just the logo on her flag, and also a hot-air balloon that they used sometimes.

Anyway. Just the musings of an old art major. I know some people (hello, Princess purists) think that hull art is an abomination, but I like most of it. It's fun. And vacations are supposed to be fun, yes?

But,,, a small piece of original art by Peter Max will run you about $35K. And the money raised by his art work paid for the restoration of the Statue of Liberty.

That doesn't mean it's not ugly

Worst - breakaway and escape

best - epic.

In my opinion, the hull art doesn't add anything and actually subtracts from the cruise line's credibility, if that makes any sense. It's hard to take a "painted" ship seriously, especially when docked next to a ship with wonderful, clean lines, a la those in the fleet of Disney, HAL, and Celebrity. It makes it look like more of a party ship, which I guess NCL ships sorta are, and less classy.

Eh, one person's "clean & classy" is another person's "stodgy & boring." A matter of individual taste. It's not like NCL is not following a long-time maritime tradition of decorating one's ships to stand out: think of the gaudy painted sails of Phoenician traders, dragon-prowed Viking longboats, elaborate & elegant (& sometimes unclothed) figureheads of tall-masted ships...

Speaking of figureheads, Disney ships have huge sculptured figures at the stern of their ships, in addition to the gold scrollwork that runs the length of the hull. They are all whimsically "painting" the ship's name. The Dream has Mickey, as the Sorcerer's Apprentice, directing a trio of enchanted brooms doing the work; the Fantasy has Dumbo clutching a paintbrush in his trunk. Playful & sweet.