How The Whiners Ruined Dynamic Dining

Merion_Mom

I must say I am rather happy to not have to experience Dynamic Dining. I didn't like the concept of it when I heard about it. And I'm very glad to hear I was not alone, and that RCL apparently listened and adjusted appropriately.

That said, I also do believe there's more wrong here than just Dynamic Dining, but the capacities of the dining venues. I'm not sure simply getting rid of Dynamic Dining addresses what appears to be the real problem behind the issues.

The "upcharge" dining experiences aren't exactly something I like either. Same with some of the "extra cost" facilities outside the main dining hours... But I do enjoy the idea of being able to laugh at (with a huge does of pity) the folks that pay for Johnny Rockets; what a complete dump of a menu and lack of any sort of quality control. A horrible, horrible restaurant that's entirely flash and zero substance. If the thing onboard Anthem is anything like the Johnny Rockets on land, I'd be ashamed it was there on the ship. But if it keeps people who think it's great out of the main dining room, I'm OK with it. :)

Johnny Rockets was pretty crowded last week when I was on Anthem, so there are a lot of people that like it, although I personally don't know why.

The word you want is "disingenuous." :)

My intent was not to "throw a tantrum" but to point out a huge sea change that is coming. It was brought about, as you say, by people loudly saying that they didn't like whatever dining plan they chose on the Anthem.

We don't know if those people had DD Classic or DD Choice.

We don't know if those people just didn't like the food or the service or the temperature of the food or the placement of their table or the time of their meals or their tablemates.

Dissatisfaction on the survey may not have been that specific and could have been interpreted many ways.

Yes, you can form your opinion based on what you read, to guide your own choices and decisions, but it is wrong to broadcast your opinion as persuasion for others. IMO. Apparently YMV.

I am currently ON the Grandeur. Many people are complaining about the food. Choices, temperature, service, quality. But they are not blaming it on the STYLE of dining.

That's sort of my point.

But....................................

But... the bottom line is that Royal made the decision. They would not do it to placate a minority. Yes, it is unfortunate that the choice is not available for those who enjoyed it or wished to try it. Corporate had to have made the decision because they believe it will improve the bottom line for the company. And people have the right not to like it. If Royal felt committed to the innovative dining plan, they could and would have kept it. They must feel there is a flaw, also.

If those sailing on Grandeur now complete the cruise and whine and complain about the quality of food when they return, I would think there would be no reaction from Royal. I doubt they would consider it a bottom-line decision.

But, on a more positive note, enjoy your cruise! I believe it's Bermuda? Fantastic. I am looking forward to pulling up a chair on the aft Promenade deck in 17 days and watching the wake.

But... the bottom line is that Royal made the decision. They would not do it to placate a minority. Yes, it is unfortunate that the choice is not available for those who enjoyed it or wished to try it. Corporate had to have made the decision because they believe it will improve the bottom line for the company. And people have the right not to like it. If Royal felt committed to the innovative dining plan, they could and would have kept it. They must feel there is a flaw, also.

If those sailing on Grandeur now complete the cruise and whine and complain about the quality of food when they return, I would think there would be no reaction from Royal. I doubt they would consider it a bottom-line decision.

But, on a more positive note, enjoy your cruise! I believe it's Bermuda? Fantastic. I am looking forward to pulling up a chair on the aft Promenade deck in 17 days and watching the wake.

Yes, Bermuda, and gorgeous weather!

I am just getting rather discouraged by RC's constantly escalating moves to pinch pennies. It's a little here and a little there. Sort of like boiling a frog. (You know that story, right?) There is little doubt in my mind that this is less generated by customer preference than by bean counters deciding that they can make more money by eliminating DD.

<sigh>

Royals came to that decision because of a small but very vocal group that thinks staggering out of a crown and anchor lounge 2 fistting drinks into the MDR at a 6pm cattle call twirling dirty napkins in the air with a 4 item rotating menu is what the cruise experience is all about.

Who am I to criticize if this is what the like.

We really enjoyed DD Classic (2) on our May Anthem cruise and looking forward to it again on the last cruise to offer DD. We liked the change in menus, meal quality, service and the diverse atmosphere of switching every night.

Having said that, we really disliked coordinating dinner reservations and shows for our Quantum cruise which was before DD Classic was offered. Too much work and micromanaging, months before the cruise. If we could have just showed up to a restaurant and get seated or wait a reasonable time for a table, as with NCL, it would have been great.

Will you need to make reservations ahead of time with MTD on Anthem? Having only had Traditional or Classic with RCL, I honestly don't know.

We really liked dynamic dining. It was a different experience and forced us out of our cruise comfort zone a bit. We had fun.

I don't know if whiners ruined it or not, but I'm sad to see it go. It was one of the reasons I was hoping for another Anthem cruise!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Royals came to that decision because of a small but very vocal group that thinks staggering out of a crown and anchor lounge 2 fistting drinks into the MDR at a 6pm cattle call twirling dirty napkins in the air with a 4 item rotating menu is what the cruise experience is all about.

Who am I to criticize if this is what the like.

There's not a chance on earth that they caved to a small but vocal group. You can tell yourself that, but a small, vocal group does not create a 49% approval rate and they know that as a corporation. How could you possibly know the basis for Royal's decision? How is it possible to lump people who prefer traditional dining into your twirling napkin characterization?

Yes, Bermuda, and gorgeous weather!

I am just getting rather discouraged by RC's constantly escalating moves to pinch pennies. It's a little here and a little there. Sort of like boiling a frog. (You know that story, right?) There is little doubt in my mind that this is less generated by customer preference than by bean counters deciding that they can make more money by eliminating DD.

<sigh>

Very much in agreement. The idea to have this kind of an alternative experience was admirable. It may not be for some, but we have many other Royal choices. Shareholder/Board of Director pressure for maximum rather than reasonable profit has to be the reason for killing the concept. I wouldn't be surprised if their discussions included the possibility of the change driving people into the additional fee restaurants to recreate the Dynamic experience.

I have to do a Bermuda cruise! I'll even put up with that awful, cold Grandeur food to do so! :)

Just wonder if this affects the Quantum and what has been their experience.

Quantum already runs a different approach from Anthem, in that it offers a set Chinese menu in each restaurant.

While they may or may not change, they're not aligned with the current and wouldn't align with this future menu structure on Anthem (+Ovation West).

I booked a cruise that had it, then didn't, then maybe did or didn't, and then eventually gave up because nobody--even RCCL--could tell me what the dining situation was on the cruise I had booked. They've built ships that won't work without it and a clientele that is resistant to it (to a significant degree), and that's a business problem.

Edited by Jestocost

Really?? How do you explain Allure 80%, Oasis 79%, Celebrity Equinox 87%, Celebrity Eclipse 86%, etc. Anthem 49%. It is what it is.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. We like Traditional Dining (Late) because we like getting to know our table mates and wait staff. We also like formal nights where everyone is on the same page. We like to dress up (in particular I like to see DW dressed up) but we don't to feel like we're over dressed.

Sounds like DD classic would have fit for us as with respect getting to know the staff and table mates, but we would have had to dumb down our dress code, but that's happening anyway on every ship and at least we would have the experience in different restaurants with better menus as an offset.

But I digress, I think the poor Anthem ratings are in line with NCL's Breakaway and anyone else who tries to do year round sailings from NY/NJ. As a former Long Islander, I feel comfortable saying that we're a tough crowd. I'm also not so sure that the DD concept could work as well as it could have doing Bermuda cruises, one of the few itineraries where the ship is in port at dinner time.

So, I won't miss DD, but I think it would have been smart for RCCL to swap Anthem out with a Freedom class ship and see how things worked out for Anthem and DD out of another port.

We would have been happy to try her in Galveston and I think the upgraded Liberty would have worked well in New York since Explorer did so well for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

And the main point: Anthem was the only ship in the North American and European market with this dining style.

Anyone who doesn't like it can choose a different ship.

But the complaints have stopped the one new thing that RC has done with dining.

And that's a shame.

Somehow, I doubt RCL would do something that they do not believe is in their financial interest.

Therefore, given the withdrawal from Oasis, and now removal from Anthem/Ovation West, it would appear too many were "choosing a different ship."

If the customers aren't happy, RCL has done what they believe is better for their business. Some may prefer another way, but the outcome means their views are not in line with the business. So another way of putting that is 'anyone who doesn't like it can choose another line.'

We tried DD. It truly sucked. Stuck at a table for two the entire cruise, that we didn't want PERIOD, RUSHED THROUGH our meals each time, noticed the menus were merely rotating, giving people the false impression "look at this, isn't this awesome, we are eating in different restaurants every night" meanwhile watching the hostess and reservation desk try and seat people. It was like watching two monkeys trying to figure out a football. Mass confusion. The entire concept didn't work.

Except for the Asian cuisine, Silk, whose entrees were salty. Even Chops was overrated. The food sat on a shelf too long, the steaks were dry and overdone. Just thinking we paid extra cash for that. Never again. I liked Jamie's though. Keep that one at least.

Bring back the traditional dining where we're all eating in the MDR again at either EARLY or LATE dining. Yes!!!!

Where is the like button!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was just those loud whiners... I'm sure the meeting at RCI went something like this:

"Sir, we have complaints about dynamic dining"

- "How many?"

"4, sir."

- "4 out of 10 passengers?"

"No sir, 4.... 4 passengers"

- "How loud are they complaining?"

"Very loud, sir. Very loud"

- "Get rid of dynamic dining"

Yup. I'm sure it was just a very small portion of the passengers, maybe 5, maybe.... No other factors are all. Just a few loud whiners. Nothing from the staff or onboard management. No studying, no nothing. Just a few loud whiners who got their way.....

I think you hit the nail on the head. It wasn't just a small group of really loud, random whiners. It was feedback from people who sailed on the ships that had DD. We all get the Royal Caribbean survey, usually within hours of leaving the ship. When you answer the survey they know who you are, they know which ship you sailed.

Maybe others complained about Dynamic Dining in ways other than the surveys and maybe some of those people never sailed the ships with DD. But Royal Caribbean no doubt took the feedback from those that had sailed the DD ships and the low bookings on the DD ships and put 2 and 2 together.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

I wonder if DD specifically and the Anthem in general would be more successful in a different market? It seems like the complaints about Anthem aren't limited to just the dining. Is that because passengers are frustrated with dining and it colors their opinions of everything, or is it just that people want something that's familiar and the Anthem isn't? Perhaps since everyone says the ship itself is so different RCI should reposition the ship to a market where there are several Royal Caribbean choices, and place a more traditional ship in the NY market.

Since the Anthem was purpose built for DD, I don't think a switch to traditional dining without a major renovation is going to quiet the complaints. I also don't think it's going to dramatically improve service times, since those are a result of current staffing patterns more than the dining format. I guess I'll always wonder if DD could have succeeded if RCI had committed the money and personnel necessary to make it work properly. As it was, Royal Caribbean's pathetic IT system gave DD two strikes against it before they even launched a ship featuring the concept.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We loved DD on our 12 night Quantum cruise. We ate in each restaurant 2 or 3 times and enjoyed the variety. We had absolutely no problem switching times at the last minute. I really can't understand all the complaints. That being said, with DD being eliminated I would not be happy eating 12 nights in Silk with that decor. We had booked a cruise on Anthem and will be canceling it now that DD is eliminated.

And those that think the concept is the greatest thing since sliced bread can choose a cruise line that offers it...that street runs both ways.

True, but Anthem was Royals only US based ship that offered it. Can't something within the line be a little different?

I've tried to find the capacity by venue for Anthem, but no luck. Does anyone know those numbers? They were all over the place when the old DD threads were active

Edited by John&LaLa