Is balcony stateroom worth it??

LEO supporter

You have to decide how many dollars it is worth to you. To ME< it is SO, SO, worth it. I Hve sailed without a balconyb efore and will always try hard to not do so gaain.

The amount of money I might be willing to pay oculd be diffvrerent than 'your' amount.

Year aGO vo, We Sailed Cedebrity's zhip Zenitrh thtadid not have verandahs.

Edited by sail7seas

Only you can decide if a balcony is worth the extra money. How much time will you spend out there?

For us -- it is worth the extra money. We enjoy sitting out, having a cocktail in the afternoon. We love to watch arriving and leaving the ports. Love watching people while in port. And many times we have seen lots of sea life.

We do balconies because Hubby sleeps later than me, and I have room service deliver coffee early and I sit out there and have my coffee and read. Someone mentioned on here they put up a hammock on the balcony, so now Hubby wanted one. He bought a travel one and can't wait to use it. Just another thing to pack. At least it's small! So yes, we love our balconies.

We swore that we had to have a balcony for YEARS, but we've found we use them less and less. The sun is either too strong or it's too hot or it's too cold and windy. I used to enjoy having a cigarette on the balcony but that's no longer allowed so even I don't go out to the balcony unless it's to put a swimsuit out to dry or bring it back inside when it's dry. We have two cruises booked and don't have a balcony cabin. We have an inside on very short cruise and we have an OV on the other one because we decided to treat my Grandson and a friend of his to cruising with us on both cruises, so the cost was a consideration. My Grandson is 22 and a regular cruiser with us and he rarely ventures out on the balcony. Even when we had a balcony, we enjoyed the sail-away on the deck and we would go to the deck to watch the ship leave the port. We are usually at breakfast when the ship is docking so we aren't in our cabin or on the balcony. I don't really think it's going to be a big deal with the OV. The short cruise with an inside cabin might be a little harder to deal with and I don't think we would do that for a week, but 3 nights should be fine.

It isn't just the balcony - whose use might be limited by weather conditions - but the amount of light and view permitted by the glass wall, which makes being in the cabin so much more enjoyable.

We found the opposite. The four "walls" of the balcony, projecting out several feet, cut off some of the sunshine and the view. Even though a window is smaller than a big glass door, the view through it is right there.

Our first few cruises were inside or "porthole" rooms. Check out the Love Boat. There are no balconies!

I would have to be pretty broke to book an inside cabin. My friend who normally books mini suites booked an inside on a 3 day re-positioning cruise. She was sick the entire time and that has never happened to her before. That room was smmmaaallllll. Two couldn't walk side by side small. :eek:

I love the sight and sound of the ocean. It is why I cruise. I can watch a movie, shop or anything else on land. I can only enjoy the ocean on a cruise. Sea life sightings to me are a plus. Have ever heard that that you can lower your heat rate just by watching an aquarium. The calming affect it has on you. I get the same from the ocean.

If we are on deck grabbing a hamburger and there is no place to sit, rather than waiting and letting our food get cold we just simply walk back to our balcony and enjoy it there. No pressure to eat faster either.

My husband loves to take pictures coming into port, usually before I get up and/or get ready. While he will go up on deck he is not willing to stand there for hours. So he comes back to the cabin and catches some pictures from our balcony.

We love to watch the docking process and of course we love to watch the pier runners. Sometimes it is just amazing at how people can walk leisurely back to the ship knowing the are the last ones to board. The entitlement is out of this world.

If we are in our cabin we are using our balcony even if it is just for a quick look around or to check for wild life. So, in answer to your question, yes a balcony is worth it to me.

Warning: once you've had a balcony it's hard to go back! We tried an inside on a short cruise and it felt like jail. Also I began to feel seasick for the first time in years, and my husband now refuses to cruise without a balcony.

If you do book a 9th deck balcony on the Magic, make sure you are not under the pool area. When they were cleaning and moving chairs around it sounded like someone was bowling up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used to have balcony cabins, but use them less and less... I can't cope with heat, and we often take winter cruises with lots of sea days when it's just too cold.

Always for Norway, though, and for the early start into Venice or Malta, but both are best seen from outside on upper decks.

I spend very little time in my cabin. However, I get a balcony if it's within my price point. I love getting dressed, and looking out. Just sitting and drinking a cocktail. Listening to the waves. It's awesome.

Doing an OV next. Higher floor oversized room. We will see.

Get the best cabin you can comfortably afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't just the balcony - whose use might be limited by weather conditions - but the amount of light and view permitted by the glass wall, which makes being in the cabin so much more enjoyable.

i LIKE BEING ABLE TO GET FRESH air in the cabin when we open the verandah door.

You have to decide how many dollars it is worth to you. To ME< it is SO, SO, worth it. I Hve sailed without a balconyb efore and will always try hard to not do so gaain.

The amount of money I might be willing to pay oculd be diffvrerent than 'your' amount.

Year aGO vo, We Sailed Cedebrity's zhip Zenitrh thtadid not have verandahs.

Don't remember the ship but one time we had an ocean view facing forward. Had a huge shelf we could lie on and see the view from the bow.

We've had different types of balconies on different ships and cruise lines. To us, it doesn't really matter whether they are narrow, wide, deep, covered, uncovered, or recessed into the hull of the ship. We loved having a balcony and never sail without one.

We're looking at a Panama Canal for next year. We always, always get a balcony except in this case. Balcony: $12,000. Ocean view: $5,100. You do the math.

It really depends on the balcony and your neighbors. We had an aft balcony on the Navigator of the Seas and it was beautiful. It had a table and two chairs and two lounge chairs. We were in the Caribbean and although I struggle with the heat, found the shaded aft cool and comfortable even on a summer's day. This year on Liberty of the Seas, we had a side balcony. It was very small with two upright chairs and a short table between the chairs. It wasn't bad, but didn't compare to the much larger aft. As for the quiet that many have mentioned - it was not. The people next to us were traveling as a group with several children. It was Romper Room the entire trip. Early mornings were quiet and we loved sitting and watching the ocean - but it was anything but peaceful after 8:00 a.m.

We're looking at a Panama Canal for next year. We always, always get a balcony except in this case. Balcony: $12,000. Ocean view: $5,100. You do the math.

May I ask what ship you are going on? We went to the Panama Canal and certainly did not pay 12,000 dollars for our balcony. WOW

Probably no balconies left, and what they have are Suites. I see that a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm on a cruise that will be port-intensive, I will not do a balcony because I will be off the ship most of the time. On a cruise that has plenty of sea days, I will book a balcony. I don't want to have to spend my time out on the ship, mixing with strangers and listening to the cheesy CD, the too-loud deck music and seeing stupid games being played. And, I tend to get claustrophobic, so staying inside a non-balcony cabin most of a day would be difficult. I would prefer to have a nice little balcony, where I can plug in my headphones to my music for background, read my ereader with my at-the-time book, just watch the water go by, take a nap, relax.

My favorite balcony story - Pacific Coastal repo from Vancouver. Woke up earlier than usual for some reason. Walked out to my balcony to see us approaching the Golden Gate Bridge and SF Bay. Just sat on the balcony and watched - never saw SF Bay from that side of the Bridge. Didn't have to get all dressed - just sat there in my PJs. I wouldn't have had that experience if I had been in an inside or oceanview cabin!

Edited by slidergirl

Don't remember the ship but one time we had an ocean view facing forward. Had a huge shelf we could lie on and see the view from the bow.

Nice but that did not provide fresh air.

Edited by sail7seas

Only you know your finances. My rule is that if you have to ask the question it is probably not worth it. The one time we had a balcony on a Panama Canal cruise it was so hot and humid we had to force ourselves to go out onto the cramped balcony. We felt it was a complete waste (to us finances is not an issue) and we have never had a balcony since. We are early birds and we have many hours in the morning when the rest of the ship is asleep to enjoy a quiet ship. We love to be on deck for sailaways and sail ins to get a view of all sides. You don't miss a lot less on deck because people will point out the whales an dolphins and other not to miss sites if you are reading.

We also will walk on the promenade deck before and after dinner.

Someone once wrote you should figure out how many hours you will spend on the balcony during the trip and divide the price difference by the number of hours. Then decide if it is worth it to you. Don't count time you would rather be out and about but using the balcony because it is there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app