Dressing up

hamishcat

Hi Do people still dress up in the evenings (apart from formal evenings). I have got a new dress for every evening and don't want to look overdressed.

I rarely wear dresses at home, since I'm retired and don't go out much. I still prefer to wear a dress or skirt on most nights of a cruise. I am more comfortable in them. I see lots of people in dresses, even on casual nights. You will be fine.

I also tend to dress every evening- on the chic nights, I typically wear cocktail party attire. other nights- for example, silk slacks and a nice blouse or a dress that would be suitable for a business meeting. My DH enjoys wearing a suit and tie on chic nights. He wears slacks, semi formal dress shoes and button down shirts other nights for dinner-no tie or jacket.

Enjoy.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I "dress" every night I eat in the MDR. I enjoy it and feel good doing it.

If anyone thinks you are overdressed, they are jealous!:D

Not jealous just relaxed.

We would not go on a cruise where " dressy" is required. We are very lucky that with few exceptions most lines have gone "casual." Different strokes for different folks.

My life at home is pretty casual. On my last few cruises I enjoyed changing from my day clothes to nicer clothes for dinner. On non-formal nights I wore slacks and a silky blouse. A dress would be great too. Foot surgery has sentenced me to sensible shoes, which are less obvious with slacks than a dress.

Vicki

I generally wear capris with a nice top(not a t-shirt) on the first and last nights of a cruise. I wear cocktail dresses for formal nights and dressy dresses for specialty restaurants. On other nights I will wear a dress, can be church type, career type or sundress. Maxi's work very well. I seldom wear heels except for formal nights.

DH and I would never wear jeans or shorts to the MDR but might to buffet.

Also, the cruise line you will be sailing with may be different that what we have experienced. We cruise Royal Caribbean and have cruised with Carnival.

Don't worry about being over dressed. Your main goal should be comfort and dressing the way you like.

I wear a dress every evening on the cruises. On formal nights I wear a formal full length gown. My husband wears a dark suit on formal nights and dress slacks and a button down shirt on non formal nights. We find it to be part of the fun of cruising , we can relax and look great :D

It will probably vary by cruise line but you won't be the only one "dressed for dinner" that is sure.

I always wear a "proper" dress for dinner, and heels and full length on formal, and we get a table for two and then won't be "bothered" if I have to sit next to someone in shorts and a Teeshirt, who might be the nicest person on earth, but it's not what I would consider wearing to go out for a meal which is essence what you are doing in the MDR/Specialty.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I would rather be the best dressed in the room than the worst dressed. By that I mean level of formality. For instance, I do not wear tennis shoes, jeans or sweatshirts except at home. My friends know this about me. They don't care, I don't care. To each their own.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

"I generally wear capris with a nice top(not a t-shirt) on the first and last nights of a cruise. I wear cocktail dresses for formal nights and dressy dresses for specialty restaurants." This is on NCL, and I have never noted any odd looks directed at my attire. (If there have been any, I'm completely oblivious, I guess.) On the contrary, I have had numerous instances over the years where people of all ages have stopped me in the corridors and complimented my attire and even expressed that they wish they'd dressed up more, although that's mostly the women saying that.

I always eat in the Garden Cafe/buffet when in capris or sun cover-up type clothing, with dresses worn in the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. I have never eaten in a main dining room when wearing shorts. I'd be embarrassed by (my own perception of) dressing too casually. Otherwise I'd never get to wear my dresses and heels except to church once a week and some are not suited to that. I have nowhere else to wear dressier things as my job requires a uniform.

I'm going on a 14-nigbt cruise (Greece, Italy and a few more countries).

I am still debating if I'll bring a dress for every night (3 gala nights and the rest are normal) or if I'll leave some dresses at home in favor to some mix-and-match skirts and tops. No matter what I'll bring, I'll probably rewear the dresses/skirts during the day too as they are nice dresses but not proper "evening dresses" (except for the 4 dresses at the top left that would n't work for day time).

I don't want to hijack the OP thread but if you want to comment on my dillemma or the dresses themselves, all input is welcome.

The black dress at the bottom right is too casual for dinner but I'll likely miss dinner the first night anyway as I want to explore Athens and ship sails at 11pm.

IMG_20160831_175413.jpg.0bdfc37a6b3e93bc8e89d4801c8b9383.jpg

Although I do know a couple of ladies who bring different evening wear for every night (and we are talking world cruises:eek::eek:), mine do get repeated. I wear a great deal of mix and match of separates. I also always take a LBD with jackets, scarves, jewelry to change it up.

I am still debating if I'll bring a dress for every night (3 gala nights and the rest are normal) or if I'll leave some dresses at home in favor to some mix-and-match skirts and tops. No matter what I'll bring, I'll probably rewear the dresses/skirts during the day too as they are nice dresses but not proper "evening dresses" (except for the 4 dresses at the top left that would n't work for day time).

I don't want to hijack the OP thread but if you want to comment on my dillemma or the dresses themselves, all input is welcome.

The black dress at the bottom right is too casual for dinner but I'll likely miss dinner the first night anyway as I want to explore Athens and ship sails at 11pm.

It looks like you are sailing in October, correct? I'm seeing a lot of sleeveless dresses and that is when the Med starts turning more rainy and chilly. They are fine for onboard but I would also bring some easy mix and match pieces and a rain jacket. Also remember that many of the areas will have cobblestones like Quebec City's historic area. So good walking shoes are needed. I would Google your port cities's weather a few days before flying over to adjust for what kind of Fall they are having. I know we have been in the same areas and could be cold with heavy rain in Mykonos and sunny and in the 70's F in Rhodes. A good pair of dark rinse or black jeans can go a long way during such fast changes. Have fun!

I agree with NorthernLite's comments and certainly include some warmer mix and match items for the Med in October. You will most likely get mainly sunny and warmish days but colder ones too.

Thanks for your comments. I am from Canada so for me 70 celsius is not very cold.

This was only a picture of my dresses, I have an array of boléros/cardignans/jackets to wear with my dresses (or my skirts if i go this way). Some for dinner, some for the day.

I also planned on bringing tights in different colors if the day is a bit cold and a pair of pants if it's raining. I may add a 2nd pair of pants just in case, based on your comments. I will also bring a rain resistant jacket and a proper rain jacket with hood for those excursions I don't want to miss no matter what.

I also have to find a long skirt for excursion to Meteora as it is mandatory, I have nothing to fit their dress code (I am short, long skirts don't work for me but I'll go to thrift store and by one)

Just to be clear, I said 70°F not C. I doubt I would even wear clothes if it were 70°Celsius! Our last cruise to that area was the fall of 2011 and I took both a hooded rain jacket and had my rain poncho in my backpack. Both received a lot of use while in 2006 I think we only had 2 out of 14 days of rain and much warmer sunny days.

Just to be clear, I said 70°F not C. I doubt I would even wear clothes if it were 70°Celsius!

Lol, my bad. Meant Fahrenheit but I had made the conversion to celsius as Fahrenheit don't mean anything to me.