Port of Miami to Florida Keys

RumpunchGirl

I'm trying to figure out the best route to drive from the Port of Miami to Marathon in the Keys. We've rented a house there after our cruise. I'm not familiar with Florida and just realized there are toll roads. I also have been reading the rental car companies charge for transponders, or toll fees, ect. It's all very confusing. We don't have tolls in Minnesota!:eek: Looking for input on car rental companies and the best/most efficient way to deal with tolls. Thanks in advance!

Be sure to check out some of the places along the way (either to or from the Keys) in the Redlands/Homestead area. We like to get fresh fruit and shakes at Robert is Here, visit RF Orchids, Fruit & Spice Park (take the tram tour), and Schnebly's Winery. Depending on which time of the year you travel, Knaus Berry Farm is worth a stop for baked goods.

http://www.redlandriot.com/

ugh ... taking US 1 from downtown Miami all the way to Homestead is what's being proposed and having lived in south Miami and done that drive MANY times I know it can add hours to your trip

I'd 'bite the bullet' and pay the rental company for the electronic toll option then go west on 836 (toll) to the turnpike extension (toll) and take this to its end in Homestead where it drops you on US-1 at the top of the Keys.

Look here: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar for info on what the charge it for various companies .... something like ALAMO charges $4 a day ONLY for days used and is reasonable IMO. Keep in mind that if potential charges get up towards $20 you'd be better off to just buy a transponder thru the website and use it now and in the future (same website, just click to HOME)

+++++

at the top of the Keys, consider taking Card Sound Road for a lil side trip and stop at Alabama Jacks

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34344-d491818-Reviews-Alabama_Jack_s-Key_Largo_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks for all your replies everyone. We planned on keep the rental car for a week in the keys and driving it back to the airport the last day. So, are there tolls on US 1 in the keys? If not, would I be paying the daily toll charge to the rental company even if most of the time we are not going through tolls? We plan to spend the whole week in the Keys just chilling.

Just looking at the Sunpass site. It looks like National, Alamo and Enterprise only charge a fee on the days you actually incur a toll. Is this correct? Also, they have a Maxium fee per rental period of $19.75 plus the tolls. This might be to best way to go. So, we would incur tolls on just 2 days of our 7 days in the keys. Am I understanding this correctly?:confused:

you are reading the ALAMO info correctly. IMO the most reasonable of the rental companies in this regard.

btw I mentioned Card Sound Road and Alabama Jacks ..... there IS a toll bridge on this road. I think it is $1, attended and last time I went thru did not accept SUNPASS ..... cash only

Card%20Sound%20Toll%20Authority.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

I'm trying to figure out the best route to drive from the Port of Miami to Marathon in the Keys. We've rented a house there after our cruise. I'm not familiar with Florida and just realized there are toll roads. I also have been reading the rental car companies charge for transponders, or toll fees, ect. It's all very confusing. We don't have tolls in Minnesota!:eek: Looking for input on car rental companies and the best/most efficient way to deal with tolls. Thanks in advance!

The most efficient way would be to let the car rental company gouge you for handling the tolls for you. You just drive like a local, the Sunpass toll people charge the rental co, the rental co passed the cost to you plus a handling charge. The cheapest way would be to buy a SunPass sticker prior to getting here, once in the rental car co office decline the transponder, place your own sticker in the rental car, you're ready to go. You manage your own Sunpass account until needed then close it. It will be cheaper in the long run but you do have to do some work.

If you can't get the sticker in advance, you can buy it at the first Turnpike plaza you get to, however you run the risk of going through some tolls before you get the sticker activated,. The Sunpass people will send the bill to the rental car co through the license plate information, and they in turn will bill you, again adding their lovely surcharge.

In any event as you can see you do not need a transponder to drive toll roads in SOFL the toll people find you anyways. Although bill by plate is a little more expensive than transponder billing.

As to how to get to Marathon, keep heading South, all roads lead to the keys. You will probably be at the port of Miami or near the airport when you start driving, so get into one of our expressways, any one of them and head west till you hit the turnpike, then the turnpike south, to the end. At the end of the turnpike you will be in Florida City, just south of Homestead, and heading South in US 1. Keep going for about 75 miles, no where to turn or get lost, and you will be in Marathon.

Cheers.

toll roads in Dade county are almost all 'electronic only' so with a rental you are pretty much stuck paying the fee (which is assessed by a third party handling tolls for rental fleets) or buying a transponder. (a private vehicle without a transponder gets handled via 'toll by plate' where a monthly bill is sent with a small service charge. Buying a transponder is really paying tolls in advance and this way you get a small discount)

b4 the grousing about this starts, let me say that as a person who lived and commuted in and around Miami when this was begun .... removing the need to stop and pay a toll cut 30 minutes off my commute time ......

Can you just pay the tolls as you go? Cash or Credit Card? if we go west on 836 to the turnpike extension, is it just 2 tolls? How much would that be?

Check out http://www.sunpass.com it will give you most if not all the answers to your questions. Post again if something still puzzles you. Personally I would just open an account and close it when done. A transponder is $4.99 comes with , guess what, $4.99 worth of toll credit, it is sold at Publix supermarkets, CVS pharmacies, turnpike plazas and who knows how many more places. Accounts can be managed using your smart phone.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure that $4.99 credit when buying the sticker was an introductory special that expired YEARS ago

there is no mention of this on the website anymore, nor on the packaging of the device hanging in stores.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E-01-2016.pdf

OOOPS. Capt BJ is correct, I stand corrected. I agree with him. The $4.99 credit promotion must have expired. There is no longer mention of that perk.

Cheers.

if you visit south Florida regularly, or the Orlando area, or use the Florida turnpike system regularly

I HIGHLY recommend buying the $20 transponder .... I've had one for MANY years .. and once also had a sticker on one of my cars ...

TRUST ME .... the $20 version is BETTER if you plan to ever use in more than one vehicle, buy a new vehicle, use in a rental or or or

tip: with the lic plate registered in the database for your Sunpass ... it is not necessary for the SunPass to even be IN your car! With the $20 version you can register multiple plates - can't with the sticker cuz it is not meant to move - if the system sees you go thru a gate with no transponder it checks the database for registered tags b4 issuing a violation (in case the transponder burped) ..... the APP for the $20 transponder lets you add tags (rentals) in short order. I simply put dd's tag in my file and never bought her a transponder ... I get her toll bills at the discounted rate. No fines .... no fouls

I bought a sticker for new car, even having a $20 transponder b4 I figured this all out ..... now for 3 cars in the garage plus dd (lives 2 hours away), I have one transponder that lives in the kitchen drawer

Edited by Capt_BJ

DEFINITELY take 75 to Card Sound Road ($1 toll), then to US 1 to Marathon. We live in Key West & take this routinely. It's not crazy like "the stretch" and is prettier. The tolls are minimal really. Stop at Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road if you are in the mood for lunch or stop at the many seafood restaurants on the way. It will take you 2-2.5 hours depending on traffic.:D

if you visit south Florida regularly, or the Orlando area, or use the Florida turnpike system regularly

I HIGHLY recommend buying the $20 transponder .... I've had one for MANY years .. and once also had a sticker on one of my cars ...

TRUST ME .... the $20 version is BETTER if you plan to ever use in more than one vehicle, buy a new vehicle, use in a rental or or or

tip: with the lic plate registered in the database for your Sunpass ... it is not necessary for the SunPass to even be IN your car! With the $20 version you can register multiple plates - can't with the sticker cuz it is not meant to move - if the system sees you go thru a gate with no transponder it checks the database for registered tags b4 issuing a violation (in case the transponder burped) ..... the APP for the $20 transponder lets you add tags (rentals) in short order. I simply put dd's tag in my file and never bought her a transponder ... I get her toll bills at the discounted rate. No fines .... no fouls

I bought a sticker for new car, even having a $20 transponder b4 I figured this all out ..... now for 3 cars in the garage plus dd (lives 2 hours away), I have one transponder that lives in the kil rida rids drawer

YES! Ditto on all this. The more expensive transponder is portable between vehicles, and you can use it forever, as long as it makes it into your luggage to come here! The $5 option is a one-time sticker which will not peel off without self destructing. As a FL resident I have the similar transponder for the toll system up north, and it is a godsend when I travel up there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We normally rent from Alamo and even with tolls like others have mentioned it's not a bad price when compared to some other rental car rates for transponders. Also I usually check rental car prices with Costco because they usually have good rates and an additional driver is free.

Stop at Publix in Homestead or Florida City. It will be much cheaper than waiting to go to the grocery store in the keys.

Not a bad recommendation if you need to grocery up

BUT .... please do consult a map first for a couple of points

- the turnpike isn't I-75 unless all my maps are out of date so don't get confused by that. Actually in south Florida we refer to the road as the "Turnpike Extension" - the part from the North end of Dade county to the south end we're talking about ....

- the Turnpike if you take it "all the way" dumps you on US-1 heading into the Keys BEYOND any mainland grocery store etc ..... so if you want to grocery up get off the turnpike earlier to do so. There is a PUBLIX just east of the turnpike at exit 5 .... that's 5 miles B-for the end of the turnpike ... (and also was the main exit for Homestead AFB b4 hurricane ANDREW all but erased THAT from the map!)

- not long after the turnpike dumps you onto US-1, not quite a mile, you'll see a flashing warning of an intersection .... THAT'S Card Sound Road. If you check a map you see that from this split both roads, US-1 and Card Sound, cross undeveloped land until they rejoin at the beginning of 'civilization' in Key Largo. 98% of the traffic stays on US-1 .... moves FAST and serious accidents are common. Card Sound is used by few, is 'scenic' <watch out for 'gators> and IMO a MUCH more pleasant drive and you may even make BETTER time!

Have fun in the Keys

{today's Alabama Jacks is a far cry from what I first went to in 1982! Today it is an "Emeril filmed a show here" place. In '82 it was drift wood, scrap tin, busted chairs and tables and usually a few "bikes" out in front .... and a place Miami and Keys folks knew for COLD beers, outstanding conch fritters and fish dip and local bands ..... still worth a stop but today folks DO stop when in 82, unless you knew you said NO WAY!!!!}

{{any time Blue H agrees with me I get very worried ...... :p}}

Edited by Capt_BJ

check out the site florida rambler . com. Its a great site for mile by mile information on the drive to thru the keys.

We used this site a couple years ago when we did the Keys. Just a note though, not sure where you are staying. We stayed in Key West and then in Marathon for what was suppose to be two more nights. We ended up only staying one night. There is basically no nightlife that we found. Not even a movie theater. Now if you are with a group and make your own fun, then no problem. But it was just hubby and I and we really didn't find anything to do past 8PM.

We canc the second night in Marathon and headed back to FLL.

At the sunpass website you can find the toll policies for each rental company. Odds are you can find a competitive rental rate with one of the ones who only charge a nominal daily rate (for only days there are toll charges) plus the actual tolls. This is much easier than buying a transponder and the cost can be minimal.

Edited by bouhunter

Didn't even think about this until reading this post....we will be renting a car once getting off of the Allure in December and heading to the Keys. We have rooms booked in Key West. What would be our best route? Will be getting off the ship as early as possible (carrying our own bags) so will have time for some stops along the way!