First time being denied shareholder benefit...

teecee60

At least I had fun with this response to my application being denied... :o

(And I just might have to retire my pom poms and cheerleading sweater.)

I have been a fairly loyal customer of both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises for a few years now... sailing numerous times on itineraries that are of significantly longer duration than your typical seven night cruisers.

Here is a listing of those cruises where I (or the person I was cruising with) received the shareholder benefit...

Nov/2012 Celebrity Constellation, 15 nights for $609pp with $250 shareholder credit

April 2013 Celebrity Silhouette. 15 nights for $599pp with $250 shareholder credit

Nov/2013 Celebrity Reflection, 15 nights for $449pp with $250 shareholder credit

April/2014 Celebrity Silhouette, 15 nights for $599pp with $250 shareholder credit

Sep/2014 Celebrity Century, 23 nights for $799pp with $250 shareholder credit

Oct/ 2014 Celebrity Reflection 15 nights for $649pp with $250 shareholder credit

April 2015 Celebrity Silhouette 15 nights for $699pp with $250 shareholder credit

Nov/2015 Celebrity Constellation, 15 nights for $699pp with $250 shareholder credit

April 2016 RCCL Explorer OTS, 11 nights for $618pp with $200 shareholder credit

April 2016 RCCL Explorer OTS 24 nights for $1049pp with $250 shareholder credit

Not included above, is a 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Infinity, and a 15 night Transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Solstice from a time BEFORE I became a stockholder.

I booked my upcoming cruise in EXACTLY the same way, through the EXACT same agency as before, with absolutely NO indication whatsoever from either the agency, OR from your company, that there was some "Dollars Off price code that is not combinable with the Shareholder Benefit program."

I find it difficult to understand how my PREVIOUS cruises (some with a LOWER price per night) WERE eligible...while THIS cruise is somehow INELIGIBLE.

If this is some new policy, designed to screw over your loyal customers, who were so satisfied with your product that they invested thousands of dollars purchasing stock in your company... you MAY want to consider how counterproductive that policy might be.

I am ALSO already booked on two more cruises...Jewel OTS in November and Brilliance OTS in April... for ANOTHER 26 nights.

If this is in fact your policy, to deny a WHOPPING and corporate-profit-breaking $100 on board credit... to a loyal customer of five years, 15 booked cruises, that encompass 226 nights on board your ships, I will most certainly be looking much more closely at booking future cruises with companies that are more appreciative of my business.

Edited by teecee60

You are a very astute cruiser and always share your "bargains" with the Cruise critic community. Given your booking history I believe that some in corporate would break into the "happy dance" if you decided to switch companies. My guess is that they would feel the same about Zenith level cruisers as well since their perks reduce profit margins. For cruisers its about the best price; for the company its about margins. Keep finding those bargains!

Edited by Orator

I have applied once before for RCL shareholder credit and surprisingly got the $50 for a 5 nighter. I don't anticipate receiving the $100 for the 12 nighter in May (although I will try).

On the other hand, I have never been rejected by Carnival Cruise Lines when we have applied for shareholder benefits from Princess or Carnival.

I think they probably stopped reading, at the point in which you told them they were screwing you over. Letters like this can work, but I think you need to be concise, to the point and avoid insulting the person you actually want to influence.

Just a thought.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Oh, and keep on sailing and finding those deals ;)

Wow, those r some great prices especially with Celebrity, and considering they are longer cruises. Congrats on getting those great deals. To be honest, I'm amazed u got shareholders on top of those rock bottom prices. I wouldn't be complaining now, just grateful u got them in the past. Have fun continuing to cruise.

WOW! Some of the "snarky" responses (to the OP's post) are uncalled for! The issue is legit, and RCI has changed their policy over the years to a point where stockholders now have no clue as to when one can get the stockholders credit. At the time we bought our stock (many years ago) the credit was granted on almost any booking. In recent years, RCI has presented a much different attitude...usually finding some excuse to deny the benefit. We once met a RCI executive (while on a Celebrity cruise) and raised the issue about the stockholder credit and "stacking" or OBCs. We were told that it was frequent topic of discussion at corporate...but, at the time, Mr. Fain had taken a very dim view of the "stacking of credits." It seems that as the years have passed, it has become more and more difficult to get the stockholders credit.

As to looking for "bargains" and the best deals....one can count us in the "guilty" category. We have cruised 103 days in the current year....and use a combination of last minute bargains and some long range bookings to fulfill our cruising addiction. For those that want to criticize the "bargain hunters" we wonder if they simply pay the sticker price when they buy a new car, or pay full fare for airline tickets.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

What the reason was given?

Their original email to me stated that the shareholder benefit was denied due to the "dollars off fare" type of booking being ineligible.

I think they probably stopped reading, at the point in which you told them they were screwing you over. Letters like this can work, but I think you need to be concise, to the point and avoid insulting the person you actually want to influence. Just a thought.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Oh, and keep on sailing and finding those deals ;)

It seems they not only read my response, but acted on it as well! After boarding the ship thinking that I had been denied the shareholder OBC, I found this in my email... and the $100 credited to my account!

Dear Mr. C:

Thank you for your email response. I apologize for our oversight on your booking.

I applied your $100.00 Shareholder onboard credit. We hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sincerely,

Supervisor, Shareholder Benefits Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Edited by teecee60

Their original email to me stated that the shareholder benefit was denied due to the "dollars off fare" type of booking being ineligible.

It seems they not only read my response, but acted on it as well! After boarding the ship thinking that I had been denied the shareholder OBC, I found this in my email... and the $100 credited to my account!

Dear Mr. C:

Thank you for your email response. I apologize for our oversight on your booking.

I applied your $100.00 Shareholder onboard credit. We hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sincerely,

Supervisor, Shareholder Benefits Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Dam 8 day cruises only get $100

It's not easy to get the Celebrity Shareholder benefit. I know a lot of people that are in the same boat - they never, ever seem to qualify. It's really frustrating and why we've chosen to invest in Carnival Corp. instead. Princess is really, really good about combining promotions with shareholder OBC and military credit (for those that are lucky to get that too).

So here is a basic rule of thumb. If you DO get the shareholder credit approved...it simply means you booked your cruise at the wrong time and are paying too much money. Book a cruise with any promo or OBC...and X will find an excuse to deny the credit. These days we still apply for the OBC...and have been denied on our last 6-8 cruises (lost count) which we consider verification that we probably snagged a decent promo.

We would add that we no longer do future bookings onboard because the OBC is simply used as an excuse to deny our stockholder OBC. Yes, you do often get a lower deposit, but that is not our major concern. And we prefer to keep all of our leverage to deal with several decent cruise agencies and see who will offer us the best deal. Booking onboard and then transferring to an agency might get you some additional OBC...but you have effectively lost all your leverage to negotiate a better deal.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just applied for the Shareholder benefit on my December cruise even though I knew I wouldn't get it. I wanted to see what their wording would be.

Here's what they said, "because there is another discount offer (Go Best) already applied. If you wish to take advantage of the shareholder’s offer instead of the other offer, please contact your travel agent to have that offer removed."

My large online TA had a promotion with go best perks that they paid for. I didn't realize though that if someone PAID for the perks like they charge or build into the increased Go BBB cost, that it is considered a "discount."

RCL really appreciates their shareholders. :rolleyes:

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Had similar negative experience with Celebrity. Although my fare did not include ANY discounts or perks I was denied stockholder credit......they said I had some type of special fare that precluded giving the credit......No where could I find that I had any special bargain except my TA had booked some mysterious cheaper fare without my knowledge or telling me about it.

Celebrity sucks big when it comes to denying shareholder credit....Quite unlike Carnival and its associated lines.

teecee60, would you please share how you apply for your shareholder OBC? I have stopped applying because they have always found a way to reject me and only once did I win on appeal. Thanks in advance for your input.

Many people book their future cruises while on board to get a balcony with the promos, (1-2-3/B-B-B) and they seem to be quite satisfied. My take is... those pomos are nothing but schlock marketing and gimmicks to make you THINK you are getting a good deal when you're really not... but at least it is stated in Celebrity's fine print that ANY and ALL of those promos automatically disqualify you for the shareholder benefit. Most of the time, those "on board prices" almost guarantee that you will overpay for your cruise... especially as opposed to waiting until after final payment.

I usually book only insides with an occasional "splurge" for an Ocean View. (but only if "the price is right." :p) There are almost never any promos associated with insides, and sometimes the OVs come without the promos as well... this USUALLY guarantees you can get the shareholder benefit.

Like I said in my O/P, this was the very first time I had been denied the shareholder benefit even though there was no promo and no OTHER indication the fare I booked was "ineligible." :(

Always apply for it, I keep a form letter in my email and it takes all of 2-3 minutes to plug in the new ship/date/cabin# attach a current brokerage statement showing stock ownership, and hit send. At worst... they say "NO." And even then, as you said (and I experienced) you can appeal...:cool:

So here is a basic rule of thumb. If you DO get the shareholder credit approved...it simply means you booked your cruise at the wrong time and are paying too much money.

We would add that we no longer do future bookings onboard because the OBC is simply used as an excuse to deny our stockholder OBC. Yes, you do often get a lower deposit, but that is not our major concern.

And we prefer to keep our leverage to deal with several decent cruise agencies and see who will offer us the best deal. Booking onboard and then transferring to an agency might get you some additional OBC...but you have effectively lost all your leverage to negotiate a better deal.

Hank

I strongly agree with most all you said... EXCEPT your first point. ;)

The prices that I paid (and continue to pay) were pretty darn low, qualified for the shareholder benefit, and DO *N*O*T* include even MORE OBC from the booking agency. :D

I booked 14 nights on a Brilliance OTS T/A in an OV for $699 with $250 shareholder benefit... and ANOTHER $300 OBC from the booking agency. :D (I may be getting yet ANOTHER $50 "loyalty OBC" from the agency as well)

Edited by teecee60

I understand the game you're playing, but why not book onboard, if you like the cruise, and then, have the agencies bid on the transdfer?

Not happy, or find a better price later, just cancel and rebook.

It also matters if you care, or not about sailing anyware, vs a particular itinerary. If you don't care, or care less, you have mroe flexibility.

We've done this a few points, and sure, youc an only do this until final payment, but when you are picky about cabin, or there are only a handful onboard that meet your desires, the equations do change.

Best part, one size doesn't fit all and you have options!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It's not easy to get the Celebrity Shareholder benefit. I know a lot of people that are in the same boat - they never, ever seem to qualify. It's really frustrating and why we've chosen to invest in Carnival Corp. instead. Princess is really, really good about combining promotions with shareholder OBC and military credit (for those that are lucky to get that too).

Same experience with HAL. Made it worthwhile to invest in comparison with RCCL stock after getting the info on restrictions here on CC. We've had two long cruises with them since purchase and will have gotten $500 back on $3500 investment...plus the stock has gone up since purchase.

Congrats OP on getting your discount. Prior threads have said that one can pretty much only get it on rates without any perks. You are a great bargain hunter!

I usually book only insides with an occasional "splurge" for an Ocean View. (but only if "the price is right." :p) There are almost never any promos associated with insides, and sometimes the OVs come without the promos as well... this USUALLY guarantees you can get the shareholder benefit.

Thank you for the reply. I may just have to start looking at it this way!