Presidential debates 10/9

rtlk

It seems like a good night to have the broadcast shown on MUTS but I suspect they won't. You'll probably have to watch it in your room.

It would be a horrible idea to show the debate on MUTS. You know exactly what would happen. There would be yelling and cheering and booing and maybe even popcorn flying. And passengers on one side of the election would be looking at passengers on the other side of the election with disdain and anger. And these are people who are more or less confined to living in harmony with one another in a closed environment for the next week or so. Some even sitting at the same dining room table. It is in Princess' best interest to foster an environment that encourages civility and friendship, and having passengers publicly exposing their political preferences (especially in this election) would run directly counter to that objective. For the good of all on board, I pray that they make the debates available on stateroom TVs, but not in public forums.

It would be a horrible idea to show the debate on MUTS. You know exactly what would happen. There would be yelling and cheering and booing and maybe even popcorn flying. And passengers on one side of the election would be looking at passengers on the other side of the election with disdain and anger. And these are people who are more or less confined to living in harmony with one another in a closed environment for the next week or so. Some even sitting at the same dining room table. It is in Princess' best interest to foster an environment that encourages civility and friendship, and having passengers publicly exposing their political preferences (especially in this election) would run directly counter to that objective. For the good of all on board, I pray that they make the debates available on stateroom TVs, but not in public forums.

No worse than some football games.

It'll still be interesting to see where they televise the elections.

I suspect the show lounge will be pretty empty that evening. ;)

No worse than some football games.

That's a fair point, but perhaps with more limited application. While I suspect showing a match between Arsenal and the Spurs would be divisive on a British Isles cruise, I still think that those blokes could share a pint after the match in a way that could not be replicated after a political debate.

We are leaving LA on the Ruby on 10/8 will they carry the debates on Sunday evening? Does the ship still have CNN & FOX channels?

The debate will be broadcast live on ABC, CBS, and FOX (NBC will be showing Sunday Night Football). So, even without the cable news channels, you'd still be able to watch.

Football is life....debates are deplorable....:eek:

You always have a choice not to watch or even participate.

We were on the Ruby for this first debate. It was being shown in Club Fusion and in the cabin. We opted for the cabin.

Was there much bloodshed in Club Fusion ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My wife & I are using our 10-day Halloween cruise to escape from the fray of politics!

We are departing just days after the election, which brings to mind one of my favorite quotes:

“Champagne! In victory one deserves it, in defeat one needs it.” Napoleon Bonaparte

Either way, the bar will be open!

I don't watch the debates. Never have and never will.

I live in California. Due to the "winner takes all" nature of the Electoral College my vote doesn't count. It doesn't matter who I vote for - the California votes will go to the Democratic candidate. This didn't use to be the case but due to the population centers of SF, LA, and San Diego it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the liberal Democrat candidate will get the state's electoral votes. If I vote Democrat, Republican, Green, Libertarian, Peace & Freedom or whatever I already know that the electoral votes will go to Clinton.

I've voted in every election since I turned 18 in 1971. I can't really say that I've been happy with any president since I've been able to take part in the voting process. Sadly the "best" president we have had in that time was probably Jimmy Carter. He wasn't really a good president but he did very little harm. That's a very sad commentary on our "leaders" here in the USA.

The debate will be broadcast live on ABC, CBS, and FOX (NBC will be showing Sunday Night Football). So, even without the cable news channels, you'd still be able to watch.

Other than sports, princess doesn't show the mainstream networks.

I have never seen ABC/NBC/CBS network programming in the cabin.

Totally agree with that! Can't wait to escape all the stupid ads, insults and mudslinging! I want to bury my head in the warm, tropical sand! :D

We never watch "regular" TV. Can't stand the commercials and don't care for the shows. We turned the cable off (except for Internet service) maybe 14 years ago or so. Haven't missed it at all. Movies, Netflix, etc. work just fine for us. No commercials and we can choose what we watch. I find it interesting that UK television doesn't include that idiotic and annoying "laugh track" that is there to tell you something is supposed to be funny. Apparently folks in the UK are either smart enough to know on their own if something is funny or not. I certainly failed to see the humor in much of the stuff that had the laugh track inserted...

Note: I do have two very small antennae on the patio roof so I can actually get broadcast TV if I want. Sometimes I even remember to watch a football game or two each year but usually I forget. :rolleyes: I find that reading is much more enjoyable than television.

Edited by Thrak

I suspect debate viewing will be made available in some way especially for cruises near the US coastlines.

I have not seen CNN available on a Princess ship in a very long time. I have looked, but I can never find it listed. BBC, FOX, MSNBC, yes. I have never seen USA prime network channels like CBS, ABC, NBC ever. I was on one cruise when the superbowl was put on MUTS and it was a great part time. TV/Movies on Princess is awful IMO, but then that may be intentional to get you out to the spending venues. (Movies seem better on Royal/Regal)

Other than sports, princess doesn't show the mainstream networks.

I have never seen ABC/NBC/CBS network programming in the cabin.

Really? I haven't sailed on Princess yet, but have been on Carnival twice, and they had ABC/NBC/CBS I believe.

We will be on the Jan 21 Ruby sailing. Any chance we will be able to watch the AFC & NFC Championship games on Sunday the 22nd?