Venice cruise ship protests

Stakeout

I have seen that story in other areas too. First, I love Venice. My DW and I have had the good fortune to visit a few times and can actually find our way around. No other place like it. Now, with that said, I can certainly relate to Venetians feelings. I lived in a popular beach town in Florida for 35 years and can attest to how sick and tired locals can become with tourists, even when you make a portion of your living off of them. Venice has something like 55,000 residents and gets some 22 MILLION tourists a year! I was staggered when I heard those numbers. In addition to the crush of people, I have read several reports of the damage to foundations, seawalls, etc. caused by the suction of passing large ships. Having run ships in one of my past iterations I can tell you that bottom and bank suction from deep draft large ships can be very powerful. It is the displacement of large volumes of water in a confined shallow space and I can just picture the rushing of these large volumes past ancient foundations and fully understand the damage it can cause. Personally I want to continue to visit Venice but realistically I understand the locals feelings fully. After all, if the locals all leave all we will have left is another "theme park" for us tourists. I suspect the larger ships will be banned soon and some type of quota system tried. It is already the most expensive city in Europe for visitors. Just had some friends report that they skipped staying in Venice last week as they were quoted $2,000 a night for a standard room in one of the well known hotels. Too rich for my blood too.:eek::D

Cruise ships can dock at Mestre on the mainland, and passengers can come across the causeway into Venice itself, either by bus to the car park or by train to the main station.

How many other major city visits also require land transportation from a remote sea port? Plenty.

No question the view of Venice from the Gulf is spectacular, but there are plenty of other ways to see that on much smaller water craft. You don;t have to bring your bed, kitchen, swimming pools and entertainment stages with you.

This large cruise ship prohibition needs to be put in.... yesterday.

Edited by OlsSalt

Cruise ships can dock at Mestre on the mainland, and passengers can come across the causeway into Venice itself, either by bus to the car park or by train to the main station.

How many other major city visits also require land transportation from a remote sea port? Plenty.

No question the view of Venice from the Gulf is spectacular, but there are plenty of other ways to see that on much smaller water craft. You don;t have to bring your bed, kitchen, swimming pools and entertainment stages with you.

This large cruise ship prohibition needs to be put in.... yesterday.

I agree with that. Too many historic places being overrun with too many people. I know, I am one of them too but there has to be a limit at some point. I suspect many folks won't bother if their ship doesn't dock right up close.:D

Personally, I feel that any GRT blacklist below say 90,000 GRT is going to be met with a huge backlash from the big 3 operators. Not that it doesn't need to occur, but most of the majors (with the exception of HAL and MSC) have the bulk of the fleet over 90,000 GRT. The govt tried this, and pulled the legislation due to backlash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sights in Venice are suffering as well as Venice itself.

If you want to see it in a decade or two, then things have to change. It's that simple.

Not sure actually if the limitation to 90,000 is sufficient, but it's certainly a start.

It's time to start protecting our historic heritage. JMO.

Venice must b e preserved and if it means restrictions on cruise ships and cruisers, so be it. We were blesseed to visit V enice 3-4 times on land trips ps ande then cruise. It w ould be heart breaking for Venice in iits splendor to not be protected for those who come after us to fully experience..

vnivr4

Edited by sail7seas

I lived near Venice for several years. If you want to have Venice to yourself.... go in December. One year we had a private water taxi and were the only people in a glass factory. Gondolas were easy to find and thick blankets kept us warm 😊 It felt like we had the place to ourselves!

The draft on those ships do a lot of damage, I'm sure. Dock over in Mestre and then the cruise lines could make more money with their own water shuttles over to the main Island... Or, bus to Piazzale Roma and let the guests use existing water busses.

Question for the poster who said their friend couldn't find anything under $2000/night for a standard room at a "well-known" hotel: which one was that??? Even the Aman isn't that much, not the Cipriani, or Gritti Palace, Londra, Danielli. Maybe the Baglioni, but I wouldn't call it "well know". I really wouldn't spend that much when there are so many luxury hotels going for $500-1500/night for next weekend...

<snip> Just had some friends report that they skipped staying in Venice last week as they were quoted $2,000 a night for a standard room in one of the well known hotels. Too rich for my blood too.:eek::D

Stayed in Venice for nearly a week at a very nice Palazzo that was certainly luxury and in no way was it that price. That would be too rich for my blood too ;). Were your friends making a very last minute booking or something or just like to "elaborate" a bit? I spent ages looking for hotels before we booked and while you can always find a some at $1,000 per night if you must have a suite the bulk are not that price let alone $2,000 per night.

Yes it was last minute due to a short notice cruise cancellation. Just reporting what I was told about last week at Gritti. The travelers are owners of a large TA so are knowledgeable. Hey, everyone can look up prices online if they are so inclined.

I can see a day when overwhelmed towns like Venice cut back the docking slots available and auction the ones they keep annually. That plus a ship size limit and higher port charges that get passed along to passangers.

Alaska has done saimilar and has limited the ships that can sail Glacier B ay.

Yes it was last minute due to a short notice cruise cancellation. Just reporting what I was told about last week at Gritti. The travelers are owners of a large TA so are knowledgeable. Hey, everyone can look up prices online if they are so inclined.

Interesting. I saw a lesser price. But I'm sure there was more than just the Gritti. This weekend is $1247 for a SPG member rate, $1313 for a non-member. this is for the Deluxe Room, which is the base room at the Gritti. Used to be a reservations agent for a huge hospitality corporation ;) Depending on what the TA does, they may or may not be knowledgeable on certain aspects of the business. Sounds like they may have been trying for one of the special rates, like FHR or Virtuoso. They come with some benefits, but you pay far more than the base. But, looking at FHR, even that is about $1400 (includes full breakfast for 2, 85EU hotel credit, guaranteed late checkout). The rate for the trade is normally 10% off the hotel's BAR rate, so even that is around that $1300 rate. This weekend, the deluxe room is the only thing available right now at the Gritti. I can't do more because I don't have access to a GDS at home anymore.

I love to look up pricing in my spare time - I'm always dreaming of a trip and checking out the possibilities!

I've been to Venezia 5 times, 4 land based, and the last time on the Oosterdam. It was amazing to sail into Venezia following the Giudecca canal to our berth- we had a balcony on the starboard side, so we saw everything on our way in. I understand that the backwash from large ships coming in so close to everything is doing damage, and it may be wise to dock in Mestre, rather than in the Venezia port. It might actually be quicker to get into town from Mestre, considering the long walk and people mover experience from the current berths. I'm glad I had my chance to see it from a cruise ship, it'll be sad if that has to stop.

There are nice hotel rooms available for less than 250E a night, if you know where to look. We had whole fresh branzino and orate (fish) for dinner for less than 70E (you've just gotta know where to look). Venezia is expensive, but it is so enchanting and unique that I'd always recommend spending a few nights there, before or after your cruise.