Would Royal Caribbean suit our needs?

We are wondering if Royal Caribbean would suit our needs and if it would be a good fit for us. I have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises about 7-10 years ago when I was younger, but we stopped cruising after a bad experience.

I am 20 now and am planning a potential cruise with my girlfriend. When we go on vacation, we stay in 5 star hotels and from time to time eat at Michelin-starred restaurants, so I am left wondering if Royal Caribbean would be the line to meet our needs.

I liked Royal Caribbean as a kid and am still amazed by their beautiful ships today, but I am wondering if the service aspect will meet our needs.

We would definitely go for a suite and go on a Voyager-, Freedom- (probably Owner's suite), or Oasis- class (probably Star class) ship.

So, would Royal Caribbean suit our needs? We are not trying to be arrogant, but we do want to get a vacation experience that is worth our money. When we go on vacation, we like to be pampered :)

We are wondering if Royal Caribbean would suit our needs and if it would be a good fit for us. I have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises about 7-10 years ago when I was younger, but we stopped cruising after a bad experience.

I am 20 now and am planning a potential cruise with my girlfriend. When we go on vacation, we stay in 5 star hotels and from time to time eat at Michelin-starred restaurants, so I am left wondering if Royal Caribbean would be the line to meet our needs.

I liked Royal Caribbean as a kid and am still amazed by their beautiful ships today, but I am wondering if the service aspect will meet our needs.

We would definitely go for a suite and go on a Voyager-, Freedom- (probably Owner's suite), or Oasis- class (probably Star class) ship.

So, would Royal Caribbean suit our needs? We are not trying to be arrogant, but we do want to get a vacation experience that is worth our money. When we go on vacation, we like to be pampered :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic :) I see you are very young and from MD.

I think the new Anthem sailing out of Bayonne, across from NYC would suit your needs. You would be able to eat in Coastal Kitchen with a suite room. That would be a step up or two from the MDR. Anthem also has many speciality restaurants that many here enjoy.

Since you are young, I think you will love TWO70, 270, a very hi tech club that will blow you away. Music Hall is another option for night life.

The kid in you will enjoy the bumper cars, circus school and roller skating.

I-FLY, Northstar and the puzzle room.......all free with reservations.

You will not need a flight for this cruise. The moment you step on, you'll feel as if you are in the Caribbean. She is made to sail from cooler climates, and has a wonderful Solarium.

That's my imput........have a wonderful cruise!:)

We have enjoyed Royal Caribbean, yet everyone has different interests so if you enjoyed RCCL as a child I am betting you will enjoy them again. Go with an open mind and no expectations and enjoy each day & evening as it comes. Don't let the small hic cups overshadow all the wonderful things you will experience.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

No.

I think only you could decide. The best thing would be to try it. A lot depends on where you want to go!

Have you travelled much? In the USA and out of the USA? If you are not very experienced at travelling, cruising is a great way to travel to foreign areas without having to deal with the realities of life in those areas. If you haven't travelled much, cruising would be a good place to start to understand more about the whole world and not just your own little piece of it.

We like RCI - it isn't necessarily 5 star (although the suite life is quite good and there are some great restaurants on board). We have travelled around the world many times, usually mixing independent travel with cruises.

You should look into other cruise/vacation Options, as I don´t think RCI is a good fit for you. Even in a Suite RCI is far far far away from being 5 star. In a Suite I would say 3 at best for cabin Service.

On the Food front you won´t find any star rated Food at all. Yes if you sail on a ship with Coastal Kitchen the Food might be better and some pay for Restaurants might have better Food as well, but still it won´t reach the Point of being star rated.

RCI offers a good product and only you can decide if it would be a good fit for you, but having cruised many times on RCI and having stayed in many 5-star and above Hotels around the world, as well as having visited star rated Restaurants I have to say RCI is not even remotely Close.

If you're 20, look into the suite life and the Haven on one of the NCL new ships. The Haven suite will give you a butler and consierge service a choice of specialty restaurants and the exclusive Haven area. But all the fun things that young folks like to do will be available

If you're 20, look into the suite life and the Haven on one of the NCL new ships. The Haven suite will give you a butler and consierge service a choice of specialty restaurants and the exclusive Haven area. But all the fun things that young folks like to do will be available

NCL has the same age requirements as Royal. At least one of the occupants must be 21 or they must be married.

Probably not

We are a loyal Royal family, with 20 or so Royal cruises, because it more or less meets our multi purpose family needs, but not when we are looking for 5 star, or super premium. You should try it, but manage your expectations.

Also, if you do try it, I recommend Freedom class or Oasis class out of Miami or Ft

Lauderdale.

Which Freedom or Oasis class sail out of Miami??

To the OP, a lot depends on the type of maintenance you might require. We book suites mostly for the extra room, bathroom differences, dinners in the room, and balconies. We don't like dressing up for dinner so having MDR in our room is special. We like meeting new people but generally we stay to ourselves. We enjoy a bit of personal space. We book Royal because of the embarkation ports, itineraries, and price falls within what we are willing to spend. I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder. We cruise to relax and have a good time. We turn our phones off and just want to get away from the normal grind. We are not high maintenance and adapt to most situations.

Edited by troykahack

When we go on vacation, we like to be pampered :)

No.

Royal Caribbean is kinda 3-4 star experience. Maybe you should try Celebrity (higher part of 4-star scale), or Azamara/Seabourn.

On the other hand, buddy: Michelin is not what it used to be..

After trying out Celebrity last month, we feel going back to Royal is a step down again. My wife and I would actually prefer a balcony cabin at Celebrity over a grand suite with Royal..

When that is said, we will return to Royal next year since we are expecting our first born in March. Royal feels way more child friendly than Celebrity.

Which Freedom or Oasis class sail out of Miami??

To OP, Miami is where it all started with Freedom, gone now but never know when the class will return. (I have better things to do than track home ports, haha) Its not the main point anyway, so chill ze.hack...MHO is simply that the flight to south Florida is well worth it for a great cruise experience, ship and itinerary variety, etc., whether its 3-4 star RCCL or something else. Enjoy!

You are already "3C" Passengers; Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard. Forget the past, try something else.

Even in a suite and paying extra for specialty dining every night, Im not sure RC would meet your needs if you are looking for 5 star service and meals.

I would suggest a luxury cruise line like Silversea, Crystal, Regent or similar. Be prepared to pay for it though.

You are already "3C" Passengers; Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard. Forget the past, try something else.

Do you really think Celebrity belongs in the same conversation as Crystal?

I don't. ;)

Price wise they are priced at mass market rates.

I believe Crystal or Regent would meet your specifications. Of course the price for these luxury cruise lines is greater than Royal. Since you want to sail Star on Royal, then I would suggest an upgraded suite on Regent. This would provide what you described as your normal type of vacation.

I love most of the Royal ships, but there is absolutely no comparison to the luxury lines.

Do a bit of research on them and that should provide you with additional information as to the line you would feel most comfortable with.

As you can see, we will be on Oasis again in January and this is our 3rd time on her. We have over 60 cruises that we have done with multiple lines. If you enjoy cruising, try them all and you will find a favorite, but just know what we like may not be your cup of tea.

If you are looking for top notch service and food, then I'm not sure Royal would be a good fit. Don't get me wrong it's good service and food but it might fall short of your expectations.

Someone suggested Anthem out of Cape Liberty, that might be a good option and you could do the specialty restaurants.

Celebrity is a step up from Royal - good service and good food, but you would probably want to try Reflection or that class of ship rather than the older ones.

NCL Breakaway in the Haven might work. The Haven restaurant is wonderful.

Another suggestion is Disney. They have by far the best service I have ever encountered at sea, they just always have that extra touch that makes the trip wonderful.