Locking luggage

khewston

We use small zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only problem with zip ties is that once they've been cut (if TSA wants in to check something) then you're left with unlocked luggage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two videos that will reinforce the idea, locks only keep honest people out

https://youtu.be/wuiJQZKVQpI

This is why, with or without locks, you should NEVER put anything of value in your checked luggage. I can't stop someone from stealing my socks or underwear, but at least they won't get my iPod or camera. because I keep my valuables with me in my carry on bag. ;)

This is why, with or without locks, you should NEVER put anything of value in your checked luggage. I can't stop someone from stealing my socks or underwear, but at least they won't get my iPod or camera. because I keep my valuables with me in my carry on bag. ;)

Those are very interesting videos. I would never put anything of value in my checked luggage, such as electronics or jewelry, but our clothing is also expensive and we can't put all that in our carryons.

The only problem with zip ties is that once they've been cut (if TSA wants in to check something) then you're left with unlocked luggage

We use zip ties as well. We always leave a few loose zip ties inside the luggage, and if they have ever been cut off, they zip them back when they are done.

Likewise with our valuables. They go in the carry-on even though we lock the bigger bags.

I don't put items of value in bags that will be leaving my site but the 1st video supports using a lock. Thieves seek easy targets and if they have a limited time to steal they might bypass the locks and go after easier target. It took the person in the video almost a minute to open the lock. For a thief with a limited window of opportunity that is a long time.

Video two can be countered with a series of tight straps or locking straps (although Tsa locking straps have the same weakness as tsa luggage locks).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival asks you not to lock the luggage on embarkation. If you do lock it they will call you down to open it so they can check it and it will delay its delivery to your cabin.

However, we always bring the locks with us. That way, if we have to lock a large item in our suitcase under the bed we can (key goes in the safe) and we always lock the luggage before putting it out in the hall the night before debarkation.