Amex Offer: Spend $500 on New Booking, Get $100 Credit

joepeka

i was successful for the first time with this offer a few weeks ago. on one of our last cruises I purchased five future cruise credits with each of our cards. But Princess charged them separately. Each transaction was for $100. I did not get any credit.

Have any of you ever been able to purchase 5 FCC's and get the credit??

another question.

I book the cruises with my Platinum AMEX and received $300 OBC for booking a suite. If I use my Delta AMEX and pay $500 toward a cruise before final payment, will that screw up getting the $100 credit for booking with the plat card? i thought about paying for the flights with the Delta AMEX but it is still two months out and the flights are still higher than I want to pay and I want to be able to change them.

thanks

I put in my Us Bank Amex card and it says the offer was saved to my card but when I go on the US Bank site I can't find any mention.

Do I just trust that it's there?

EDIT: I just got an email confirming enrollment.

Small print in confirming E-mail says:

An "eligible Card" means a valid American Express® US Consumer or Small Business credit or charge Card that is issued by a US banking subsidiary of American Express. Prepaid Cards and products, Corporate Cards and American Express-branded Cards issued by other financial institutions are not eligible.

Can anyone confirm they have made payment with a card such as Macy's and actually received the $100 credit posted to the account?

another question.

I book the cruises with my Platinum AMEX and received $300 OBC for booking a suite. If I use my Delta AMEX and pay $500 toward a cruise before final payment, will that screw up getting the $100 credit for booking with the plat card? i thought about paying for the flights with the Delta AMEX but it is still two months out and the flights are still higher than I want to pay and I want to be able to change them.

thanks

Again looking at the small print in the conformation E-mail:

Excludes the following if not booked at time of reservation: airfare booked through cruise line......

i was successful for the first time with this offer a few weeks ago. on one of our last cruises I purchased five future cruise credits with each of our cards. But Princess charged them separately. Each transaction was for $100. I did not get any credit.

Have any of you ever been able to purchase 5 FCC's and get the credit??

another question.

thanks

The $500 has to be in ONE transaction and , while I never tried to get the credit for this offer from purchasing FCCs, all of our FCC purchases have been separate transactions.

They are used (or refunded) separately and so need to remain separate. I'm not surprised you didn't get the credit.

What you CAN do is buy yourself $500 OBC for the cruise. Then when you get on the ship you can cash out the OBC and have the $500 cash for whatever you want.

What you CAN do is buy yourself $500 OBC for the cruise. Then when you get on the ship you can cash out the OBC and have the $500 cash for whatever you want.

I just did that, except I didn't "cash out" the OBC. I left it on my account, spent a little of it, and had the balance refunded by Princess by a check being mailed.

I just did that, except I didn't "cash out" the OBC. I left it on my account, spent a little of it, and had the balance refunded by Princess by a check being mailed.

Did you not have a credit card on file? I don't have experience with Princess, but other lines (other than MSC, grrr...) will refund to the credit card on file if you have a credit balance of refundable OBC at the end of the cruise.

Small print in confirming E-mail says:

An "eligible Card" means a valid American Express® US Consumer or Small Business credit or charge Card that is issued by a US banking subsidiary of American Express. Prepaid Cards and products, Corporate Cards and American Express-branded Cards issued by other financial institutions are not eligible.

Can anyone confirm they have made payment with a card such as Macy's and actually received the $100 credit posted to the account?

I'm sure that you're trying to be helpful by quoting from the fine print, but someone just said that it did work for a non-AMEX issued card.

The fine print is there because until recently, you could not add AMEX Offers to a card that was not issued by AMEX. That has changed, as DSLibrarian pointed out.

The $500 has to be in ONE transaction and , while I never tried to get the credit for this offer from purchasing FCCs, all of our FCC purchases have been separate transactions.

They are used (or refunded) separately and so need to remain separate. I'm not surprised you didn't get the credit.

That is not true. Unless the offer specifically says that it has to be in a single transaction, it can be split across transactions. In my case, I paid part of the deposit on one card and then finished the offer with final payment and got the credit.

If the poster did not get credit it was either because the FCC's did not post with the correct merchant, or whatever credit was issued to the card brought them below $500.

I'm sure that you're trying to be helpful by quoting from the fine print, but someone just said that it did work for a non-AMEX issued card.

The fine print is there because until recently, you could not add AMEX Offers to a card that was not issued by AMEX. That has changed, as DSLibrarian pointed out.

The above posts said that the offer was successfully added to the cards, but did not say what the result was when a Princess charge was made. To me the result would hopefully be a $100 credit from Princess posted to the credit card account.

And, yes, I did receive an E-mail saying the offer was added to my card, but the small print on that E-mail is what I quoted. The small print says "To redeem this offer, simply use this Card to make a purchase according to the offer terms below." And the terms below indicated it would not apply to a card that was not issued by a "US banking subsidiary of American Express."

So what I am looking for is someone who can say they used a Macy's or other non-AMEX bank card and actually saw the $100 rebate posted on their account.

The above posts said that the offer was successfully added to the cards, but did not say what the result was when a Princess charge was made. To me the result would hopefully be a $100 credit from Princess posted to the credit card account.

And, yes, I did receive an E-mail saying the offer was added to my card, but the small print on that E-mail is what I quoted. The small print says "To redeem this offer, simply use this Card to make a purchase according to the offer terms below." And the terms below indicated it would not apply to a card that was not issued by a "US banking subsidiary of American Express."

So what I am looking for is someone who can say they used the card on a Macy's or other non-AMEX bank card and actually saw the $100 rebate posted on their account.

OK so I misread the earlier post and thought that someone had gotten email saying that the offer was redeemed. However, it would be incredibly stupid for them to allow you to add it to your non-AMEX issued card and then say that you cannot redeem it. Common sense should tell you that the fine print has not kept up with this new feature allowing you to add offers to non-AMEX issued cards.

Prior to this change, you could not redeem it on cards issued by companies other than AMEX because you could only add the offer by logging onto the AMEX site, where only AMEX issued cards were serviced.

Also regarding the fine print, it says it's valid for reservations made between 2/12 and 5/31, and we also know that to be false. Similarly for only mentioning the cruise line websites or toll-free number and not travel agents.

Edited by MisterBill99

OK so I misread the earlier post and thought that someone had gotten email saying that the offer was redeemed. However, it would be incredibly stupid for them to allow you to add it to your non-AMEX issued card and then say that you cannot redeem it. Common sense should tell you that the fine print has not kept up with this new feature allowing you to add offers to non-AMEX issued cards.

I agree, but incredibly stupid things have happened in the past with credit cards.

I did call one of the cards I added this too and the phone reps (I spoke with several) had no idea how to see any AMEX offers attached to the card and pointed out that their card only had points for purchases, never any cash back. They knew of no "spend $xx at merchant yyyy and get $zz back" offers that apply to their card, not only not for Carnival Corp, but not for any merchant.

Neither the web site of the card I did call or the Macy's credit card web site have any mention of any AMEX offers applying to their cards.

Thus I hopefully await someone posting it did actually work when a $500 Princess purchase was made.

I agree, but incredibly stupid things have happened in the past with credit cards.

I did call one of the cards I added this too and the phone reps (I spoke with several) had no idea how to see any AMEX offers attached to the card and pointed out that their card only had points for purchases, never any cash back. They knew of no "spend $xx at merchant yyyy and get $zz back" offers that apply to their card, not only not for Carnival Corp, but not for any merchant.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe you'd actually expect the card issuer to have any clue about this. Get real. There's an AMEX site where they allowed you to add the offer to your card. At least one person got an email confirming it was added. If you want to wait until someone sees the credit hit, that's fine, although you will run the risk of this offer expiring. And expecting to see the offer on the other issuer's website when you added it on an AMEX site?? What you're doing is just ridiculous.

I used it on a $500 early payment on our booking. A day or two later, the $100 credit showed up on my account. I called Amex to ask if it was also on my husbands card, which he does not use often. They told me that they could not add it for me. I needed to log into his account. He did not have one so we created one. She said to log into his offers but warned me that not everyone gets the same offers. I had her stay on the line while I looked. And that was true. He did not get the offer. So, she said we would not be able to use it for the $100 credit.

Did you not have a credit card on file? I don't have experience with Princess, but other lines (other than MSC, grrr...) will refund to the credit card on file if you have a credit balance of refundable OBC at the end of the cruise.
I did have a credit card on file, but I didn't expect something to be refunded to a card that hadn't been used for the initial purchase. That would be like going to Walmart with an item to return that you paid cash for and thinking they would apply a credit to a random credit card you handed over.

I don't know if my experience is typical of Princess, or how any other line handles this type of situation. I will say if I had had to say "logically" how the refund would be handled, it would have been exactly how they did it.

I did have a credit card on file, but I didn't expect something to be refunded to a card that hadn't been used for the initial purchase. That would be like going to Walmart with an item to return that you paid cash for and thinking they would apply a credit to a random credit card you handed over.

Well, not if you paid cash but yes it you paid with a credit card. Many retailers keep track of where the charge was made and automatically put it back on the same card (Walmart is one, so that's not a good example, nor is paying cash since you didn't in this case). For those that do not, some only care that it's the same type of card (i.e., Visa). Some won't care at all.

I don't know if my experience is typical of Princess, or how any other line handles this type of situation. I will say if I had had to say "logically" how the refund would be handled, it would have been exactly how they did it.
If you get OBC from a travel agent, in many cases they charge it to their credit card. Would you expect the unused amount to be refunded to their card? No, it goes back on whatever card you gave the cruise line for charges when you checked in. Edited by MisterBill99

I used it on a $500 early payment on our booking. A day or two later, the $100 credit showed up on my account. I called Amex to ask if it was also on my husbands card, which he does not use often. They told me that they could not add it for me. I needed to log into his account. He did not have one so we created one. She said to log into his offers but warned me that not everyone gets the same offers. I had her stay on the line while I looked. And that was true. He did not get the offer. So, she said we would not be able to use it for the $100 credit.

Was your husband's card the same type as yours (i.e., Blue)? If so, it definitely should have been available. I just added this offer yesterday to some cards that I hadn't previously. For cards like the Delta card, you need to use a link that was posted earlier since it will not show up automatically (which should also work if you don't see it on his card). But other than the travel provider cards, I don't think I've heard of anyone who hasn't received the offer on their card.

Edited by MisterBill99

Well, not if you paid cash but yes it you paid with a credit card. Many retailers keep track of where the charge was made and automatically put it back on the same card (Walmart is one, so that's not a good example, nor is paying cash since you didn't in this case). For those that do not, some only care that it's the same type of card (i.e., Visa). Some won't care at all.

If you get OBC from a travel agent, in many cases they charge it to their credit card. Would you expect the unused amount to be refunded to their card? No, it goes back on whatever card you gave the cruise line for charges when you checked in.

I used my AMEX card to buy the OBC. I placed my Discover card on my on board account. So not the same card. I wouldn't think a credit card company would be happy "giving back" money they never received in the first place.

And no, obviously I wouldn't expect any unused amount of TA OBC to be refunded to their card. I never thought ANY OBC would be refunded to ANY card - I expected a check for the amount of unused OBC. Which I got.

I only spoke to my own personal experience, so if anyone else in a different situation or on a different line experienced something different, who am I to argue?

Was your husband's card the same type as yours (i.e., Blue)? If so, it definitely should have been available. I just added this offer yesterday to some cards that I hadn't previously. For cards like the Delta card, you need to use a link that was posted earlier since it will not show up automatically (which should also work if you don't see it on his card). But other than the travel provider cards, I don't think I've heard of anyone who hasn't received the offer on their card.
Not all cards, even ones linked together on the same account but using different log ins, get all the same offers. Just last night I saw a Shutterfly offer on my card. I checked (twice, very carefully!) on my husbands card, and he didn't have that same offer. I was hoping to be able to use it twice, but had to settle for once.

I can say that I've had once instance where others were seeing the offer on their AmEx cards but I was not seeing it on my AmEx Blue. It is not showing up currently.

I can say that I've had once instance where others were seeing the offer on their AmEx cards but I was not seeing it on my AmEx Blue. It is not showing up currently.

Try using this link and see if it lets you add it - www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

Remember if you have two cards on a single login, you will not see it on additional cards once you add it to the first card.

Not all cards, even ones linked together on the same account but using different log ins, get all the same offers. Just last night I saw a Shutterfly offer on my card. I checked (twice, very carefully!) on my husbands card, and he didn't have that same offer. I was hoping to be able to use it twice, but had to settle for once.

I agree with that, but this particular offer seemed to be on all cards (it's certainly on all of mine and I have over a dozen, so I am a bit of an expert on AMEX Offers). Try using this previously posted link and see if you can add it to his card -- www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

I used my AMEX card to buy the OBC. I placed my Discover card on my on board account. So not the same card. I wouldn't think a credit card company would be happy "giving back" money they never received in the first place.
The credit card company is getting the money being refunded to you from the cruise line, so it's not like they're giving you money. Yeah, they'll pay whatever small percentage they would have charged originally (probably 1% or so for the cruise lines) but it's not enough to be a big deal. In theory getting a check works out OK so long as it doesn't take that long since you'd lose your rebate on whatever amount goes back on your card. That's why I prefer to use a debit card when I know that I'm getting a refund of excess OBC (and yes, I know there are dangers involved in using debit cards). I made the mistake of using my Chase Sapphire Reserve on a HAL cruise last year where I had a bunch of excess OBC and lost 3% of it on the refund (since I get 3% back on travel on that card). I'd actually changed the card before sailing but HAL's system did not update it and I never thought to check while on the cruise).

I agree with that, but this particular offer seemed to be on all cards (it's certainly on all of mine and I have over a dozen, so I am a bit of an expert on AMEX Offers). Try using this previously posted link and see if you can add it to his card -- www.americanexpress.com/wlcl
Thank you for the link. I'll try it as soon as I get on my desk top (rather than my phone).

yes, his AMEX platinum card has the last two numbers different from mine but is linked to the same account. I really was surprised it was not there. Our son has one linked to the same account. I will see if he gets the offer.