Amex Offer: Spend $500 on New Booking, Get $100 Credit

joepeka

The Amex $100 statement credit is great! We have one Amex account yet got two separate $100 offers for Princess, one last summer and one in November, were able to use them both!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for posting that.

You've now answered the question of "Should we keep checking, even though we got it once?" :D

We got (and used) the offer through our son's Blue Card. He got it last year, too. None of our AmEx cards, including Hilton, has ever gotten it.

As I mentioned earlier, the co-branded travel cards like Hilton and SPG typically do not get competing travel-related offers.

Does your son have an authorized user such as his spouse also on his account? If so, he could load it to their card as well and you could use it again. He could also get you (and your spouse) an authorized user card to use for situations like this, assuming he trusts you not to use it for other purposes :). Or you could just apply for one of the Blue cards.

Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks for posting that.

You've now answered the question of "Should we keep checking, even though we got it once?" :D

You are welcome! I was surprised as well to see the second one there when I looked at the offers in my card account.

I actually used the two offers on the same cruise, at different times. The first one I put $500 on my outstanding cruise balance, and the second one when I made final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You are welcome! I was surprised as well to see the second one there when I looked at the offers in my card account.

I actually used the two offers on the same cruise, at different times. The first one I put $500 on my outstanding cruise balance, and the second one when I made final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am guessing the first offer you received and used was specifically for Princess (I remember seeing one for them a few months back) and this latest one was for World's Largest Cruise Lines (which Princess is part of). True?

Thanks for this info. I thought you can claim only 1 credit per cruise.

Edited by easyboy

Thanks for this info. I thought you can claim only 1 credit per cruise.

No. The offer credit is based on your AMEX login/card, not your cruise. And it's not even a matter of the offer coming back, as it did in this case. If you have multiple AMEX cards with the offer (as I do), you can use it as many times as you want. I'm about to book a $2000 cruise on HAL, I figure I can pay in $500 chunks, and maybe add some OBC to get 5 $100 discounts with my 5 cards that have the offer.

Edited by MisterBill99

I am guessing the first offer you received and used was specifically for Princess (I remember seeing one for them a few months back) and this latest one was for World's Largest Cruise Lines (which Princess is part of). True?

World's Leading Cruise Lines

Misterbill99

I used this offer on 3 different cards about a month ago to pay for a new years cruise. Can you please clarify can I use the same offer multiple times on the same credit card again for another cruise?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I said "If you have multiple AMEX cards with the offer (as I do), you can use it as many times as you want" I meant "you can use it as many times as you have cards with the offer".

You don't have any cards that have authorized users that you didn't use the offer on yet, do you?

The limit is based on the card/offer, not the cruise, as you found out when you used it 3 times on the same cruise.

Edited by MisterBill99

• 4 weeks later...
No. The offer credit is based on your AMEX login/card, not your cruise. And it's not even a matter of the offer coming back, as it did in this case. If you have multiple AMEX cards with the offer (as I do), you can use it as many times as you want. I'm about to book a $2000 cruise on HAL, I figure I can pay in $500 chunks, and maybe add some OBC to get 5 $100 discounts with my 5 cards that have the offer.

Hi MisterBill99. I have enjoyed reading your responses. Have you added OBC online with HAL before? How about Princess or Royal Caribbean? I was unsuccessful trying to book a Carnival cruise and adding cruise cash online. It doesn't code correctly for the WLCL offer , so I canceled the cruise immediately. I have a ton of these offers and am trying to decide the best way to load up on refundable OBC. Can you send me a private message? Thanks!

Hi MisterBill99. I have enjoyed reading your responses. Have you added OBC online with HAL before? How about Princess or Royal Caribbean? I was unsuccessful trying to book a Carnival cruise and adding cruise cash online. It doesn't code correctly for the WLCL offer , so I canceled the cruise immediately. I have a ton of these offers and am trying to decide the best way to load up on refundable OBC. Can you send me a private message? Thanks!

I have successfully used the AMEX offer for RCCL on OBC. And my TA bought me $25 of OBC to get over the $500 "hump" on this cruise and qualified for the $100 back. I have not tried buying the OBC myself online but I have no reason to believe that it would not work.

You can email me at my screen name here at gmail dotcom.

Which cruise line and how did you buy OBC? online or over the phone?

And what merchant did the charge show up as? What did your deposit post as?

BTW since there are discussions about this offer on multiple cruise line boards, and I forgot that I was on the Princess discussion, I should mention that I am sailing on Holland America and that was where I bought the OBC and got the offer (although it should be obvious from my signature block).

Edited by MisterBill99

And what merchant did the charge show up as? What did your deposit post as?

BTW since there are discussions about this offer on multiple cruise line boards, and I forgot that I was on the Princess discussion, I should mention that I am sailing on Holland America and that was where I bought the OBC and got the offer (although it should be obvious from my signature block).

MisterBill99,

Did you get my email? I am about to book a cruise but would love to get your thoughts first. Thanks!

Thanks for keeping this alive. I just got another new Amex card and this thread reminded me to check the offers: YES! Qualified (and just got acknowledgement) for the 4th credit on the same cruise. Don't know how/why they are doing it, but it works for me!

I just got the offer today and added it to my account.

Meantime, I have a 4000+ charge sitting on my AMEX card for my upcoming Princess cruise that I booked and paid in full on December 27th. SO haven't even been billed for those charges yet although they have posted to my account.

I called AMEX and asked if I would get the credit and the rep said that I would.........after my cycle closes. Does that sound correct? Everyone has been saying the credit shows up almost simultaneously.

I was thinking of purchasing a Drink package thru Princess website to get the credit. Will that work I wonder???

Steve

I have 4 AMEX cards and have the offer on 2 of the cards. I just booked a cruise and used one of them. I am going to try using the other one in a few weeks to pay off the cruise. According to AMEX, you can only use the offer once, even if you have multiple offers. My travel agent says he knows that, but he has many other clients that have been able to use the offer multiple times. Time will tell....

I have 4 AMEX cards and have the offer on 2 of the cards. I just booked a cruise and used one of them. I am going to try using the other one in a few weeks to pay off the cruise. According to AMEX, you can only use the offer once, even if you have multiple offers. My travel agent says he knows that, but he has many other clients that have been able to use the offer multiple times. Time will tell....

Once per card. So if you have it on multiple cards, you can use it once on each of them.

What are the other 2 cards that they do not have it? Are they on the same login as the 2 that do? If you remove them from the shared ids and create new AMEX logins for the other cards (so each is on its own login) you should be able to load it onto all of your cards.

Edited by MisterBill99

Meantime, I have a 4000+ charge sitting on my AMEX card for my upcoming Princess cruise that I booked and paid in full on December 27th. SO haven't even been billed for those charges yet although they have posted to my account.

I called AMEX and asked if I would get the credit and the rep said that I would.........after my cycle closes. Does that sound correct? Everyone has been saying the credit shows up almost simultaneously.

I was thinking of purchasing a Drink package thru Princess website to get the credit. Will that work I wonder???

Steve

You're not going to get it for a previous charge unless the rep did something to credit you for it. As for buying a drink package, someone here who has done it on Princess should respond. I saw a post saying that on Carnival an online purchase posted as something different.

Steve

Been on the same situation. I believed the AMEX rep. And I got the credit.