Can we bring gifts for room attendants and donations for Fiji?

I will be traveling on legend of the seas from Brisbane to Fiji in November. And would like to know if we are allowed to bring gifts such as chocolates on board? I thought it would be nice to leave for the room attendants.

Also interested in bringing some items to donate to children of Fiji. Does anyone know where best place to donate items would be?

It's my first time cruising with my family. Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Staff live in very small cabins and share the cabin. They really don't have room for gifts, candy, etc. It's a nice thought but cash is king! Give them an extra tip on top of the standard gratuities. Most of the staff sends money home to support their family. Cash is most appreciated.

Not sure about Fiji.

Sure, you can. I don't know about Fiji...you could research that. Your shipboard people will appreciate anything...especially MONEY! After all, that's why they work...for PAY! Would you rather have more money, or the same money you make, plus chocolate? I know what I'd rather have! $$$$

You've asked for advice and here is mine: no gifts, of any kind. I mean none. Seriously. As mentioned, they have very small quarters and while they will smile and say "Thank you.", they will probably throw it away.

For donations, I would suggest posting this on your Roll Call and see if you can get others interested. You'll have to know where you are going to go once you get there. Might be better to arrange a group donation.

We have organised a stationary and sports equipment drive for a school in Suva, Fiji.

It has been amazing how much has been donated, we have four very large sports bags full of things and over 50 people going on a tour that includes a visit to a local school to donate the items. the tour is only $35 pp and goes about 3 hours. i organised it though our roll call and our Facebook page

I have organised this through Moana Tours (you can find them on Facebook or email on moanatours@yahoo.com)

We do the tour in another 3 days and are very excited to meet the kids.

Edited by Naomigruis

Thanks for advice.

I'm just trying to get me kids involved in being thankful and grateful.

With the tipping. What is a good amount? I'm not on a good wage myself. And being Australian very unfamiliar with tipping.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually bring about 50 $1.00 bills and put then in a desk drawer. We use it for room service tips.

I would suggest your kids would get a thrill ordering room service, and part of it can be their responsibility to pay the tip from the drawer. $2 or so should be good. Not required, but appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for advice.

I'm just trying to get me kids involved in being thankful and grateful.

With the tipping. What is a good amount? I'm not on a good wage myself. And being Australian very unfamiliar with tipping.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice to hear about the kids - not sure of their ages, but coloring a picture or writing a note is cute for kids and teaches them to formally say thank you.

Not sure how tipping works on cruises sailing out of Australia, however, normally you will see a charge of around $13 per person per day added to your account on board. This is billed as gratuities and covers your room steward and dining facilities. You may have already prepaid this - important to check and find out so you don't have any surprise charges. Children also pay this amount.

I know Australians are not used to tipping, and it gets very controversial on these boards. This is in part how the crew is paid; you may not like it, approve of it, etc. but that's how cruising works and it is important to be aware of.

Again, maybe different sailing out of Australia, but all drink purchases have an automatic 18% tip added to the price.

Room service is not covered by the automatic gratuities and a tip of $2 to $5 depending on how much is ordered is usually given. The idea of having $1's on hand for room service tips is a good idea.