White Pass train

deliver42

We're going to Alaska in May. We want to go on the White Pass train from Skagway, and I have a question. Can you buy tickets at the port? I can't see going on if there is a lot of fog. Otherwise, I'd pre book with NCL or my TA.

I believe that you can purchase tickets at the Station Office just of the end of

Main Street near where the WP&Y has a static display of an old snow

blowing engine. But you will be disappointed when the ships are in port and

the trains are SOLD OUT !

That being noted - if ONLY -1- cruise ship is in port you best buy the tickets

in advance - -2- or more NO QUESTION about it - the trains are capacity

controlled and are apt to be SOLD OUT for the very one that fits your limited

shore excursion time.

Peak season the WP&Y has one train that goes over the summit into Canada

and one or more that simply go to the border summit and return.

There are other shore excursions using buses and bicycles.

Have done this twice - the first not so grand - weather misty rainy and visibility

limited but worth it for the just the ride. 2nd time much better with perpetual

photo ops at every bend in the track.

Try and ride toward the very front or rear of the train for seeing the train snake

up the narrow gauge - steep canyon grade to the summit.

WP&Y uses diesel locomotives pulling the train to the summit and these are

switched to the rear to pull the train down the grade back to Skagway.

A special steam locomotive train may be offered in season to cross the border

into Canada to Fraser (an interesting all-day trip) If you do this make sure you

have enough time to return to your ship.

Oh and the trains almost leave from trackage right near the ships gangway

but are not rated for the mobility impaired.

Booking by the internet directly with WP&Y may have conflicts with the cruise

ships shore excursion priority accommodations and fares paid.

Closing comment - "Book this one as early as possible to not be disappointed !"

Still yet if sold out don't give up - talk to Shore Excursions about standing by

for cancellations !

My wife and I have taken the white pass train twice. The first time was in 2008, the second in 2014. Although it was the same train and track, the difference between the two excursions was striking. In 2008 we were able to travel into the valley at the top of the pass.....majestic views. In 2014, the train stopped just as we got to the valley, turned around and went back down the mountain. I was truly disappointed. I have no idea if that is the norm now, or if it was a fluke for a day.

Maybe others can chime in about whether or not that still is the case. Another possible excursion would be taking a bus that travels into the valley. I have heard that there is one, but I don't know for sure, nor if it would fit the time you are in port. :)

Edited by Oldgoat61

Last year the WP&Y RR really changed up the schedule so I would check with their website for exact days and times.

The basic trains are as follows:

1 Train to Carcross - the Lake Bennett Excursion. Runs one way between Skagway and Carcross. Stops at Bennett for a box lunch and self guided tour of the old town site. Bus the opposite way of the train.

2 Train between Skagway and Fraser BC. Bus return - usually combined with tourist trap stops between the two towns - the suspension bridge and gardens, 40 below, or Liarsville.

3 RT summit and back - was the most popular with cruise ships a few years ago - usually runs twice each day.

Schedules change with the number of cruise ships in town as they are the largest source of passengers for the RR.

Not all cruise lines offer all of the trains (NCL does not offer the Bennett trip) so booking through an independent tour company is advised. I have found Chilkoot to be very good and booked my last Bennett Scenic Tour through them.

I'd prebook with Chilkoot Charters & Tours. Just remember the weather you experience in Skagway, may not be what's going on further north. I'd go no matter what the weather. We had a great time with Chilkoot.

I'll second that recomendation. And please don't forget your passports.:)

Bill

I'll second that recomendation. And please don't forget your passports.:)

Bill

Me too. They have a whole carriage reserved for their clients so it's possible to move around. I'd recommend bus up and train down. They pick you up right at the ship. One of our best excursions ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife and I have taken the white pass train twice. The first time was in 2008, the second in 2014. Although it was the same train and track, the difference between the two excursions was striking. In 2008 we were able to travel into the valley at the top of the pass.....majestic views. In 2014, the train stopped just as we got to the valley, turned around and went back down the mountain. I was truly disappointed. I have no idea if that is the norm now, or if it was a fluke for a day.

Maybe others can chime in about whether or not that still is the case. Another possible excursion would be taking a bus that travels into the valley. I have heard that there is one, but I don't know for sure, nor if it would fit the time you are in port. :)

Take a look at a map. This was TWO different routes. Getting to Fraser goes through Tormented Valley. (which is likely what you are referring to.

Actually, the highlight of opportunity is the Lake Bennett train. Nonstop scenery all the way to Carcross.

We're going to Alaska in May. We want to go on the White Pass train from Skagway, and I have a question. Can you buy tickets at the port? I can't see going on if there is a lot of fog. Otherwise, I'd pre book with NCL or my TA.

Your thinking is flawed. You can NOT tell any "weather" from standing at the cruise dock. It also is in a constant state of change. It is not usual to have a trip totally fogged out anyway. During the journey you will go through wide ranges of "weather". I've driven through the White Pass in May when there were 12 foot snow banks, come through Fraser with a foot. :) Fog at the summit, clear sunshine in Canada.

If this is a trip that is of interest to you, then book ahead. You do have to book Chilkoot ahead, I have not known them to do walk up and they are usually sold out anyway. I also highly recommend Dyea Dave.