Gift bags for Stewards? Anyone ever do this?

weddingdiva

Please read carefully!

I specifically said I am not angry at the OP for asking the question! I said I was angry at the idea which had been proposed by others which is why the OP asked about it in the first place! It is my opinion that giving trinkets/candy etc. is treating the staff like children. I am entitled to that opinion and saying it is not "snarky" as it is "my opinion".

And I totally agree with your opinion.

How many of us get candy from our bosses with paycheck?

I love the idea, but we are talking about people who literally live in a room the size of a closet. They are also fed very well for free, so it is hard to imagine what you might bring them that they would do anything but give or throw away.

Please read carefully!

I specifically said I am not angry at the OP for asking the question! I said I was angry at the idea which had been proposed by others which is why the OP asked about it in the first place! It is my opinion that giving trinkets/candy etc. is treating the staff like children. I am entitled to that opinion and saying it is not "snarky" as it is "my opinion".

I can't imagine why any of it would make you angry, your post does read like your angry but I honestly don't know why it bothers you so much.

I've been places where gifts to the staff was the preferred method to show appreciation. If that was my only experience I would assume it was proper on a cruise as well. If other people outside of that transaction are offended by that, well I have to say that they are responsible for their own feelings and I'm certainly not going to worry about it.

So last cruise I brought a bunch of local treats, HERSHEYS CANDY, tasty cakes, herrs chips and tossed in some penn state/Philly stuff- nothing that would take up space and they were taken with much appreciation- this was given at the beginning of the cruise and a handsome tip at the conclusion...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most foreigners don't understand Americans fascination with chocolate.

An even higher number of people don't consider Hersheys to even be chocolate.

I did say that in some countries like Japan where tips are NOT the normal way to do things that folks might enjoy candy or some other item.

It makes me angry to think that others look down on staff and think that little goodies are what adults want/need.

BTW I think it is treating adults like children when my health insurance company wants to "reward us" for going to the doctor or the library wants to reward me for reading a book.

I agree that those are my feelings and I am responsible for them. You don't have to completely understand them in order to acknowledge that I am entitled to have them!!

Most foreigners don't understand Americans fascination with chocolate.

An even higher number of people don't consider Hersheys to even be chocolate.

American chocolate is all I ever really had. Then a friend went to Switzerland and brought me back some from there and OMG. It's nowhere near the same! I would weigh 300 lbs if I could get that stuff here!

OP, you do whatever you think is best and what you want to do. I am sorry if some people are less than pleasant in saying that.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most (or all) of the people posting in this thread does not KNOW definitively what every single person on the ship would like. Most of us are only speculating, and even if you have talked to 100 crew people, you have not talked to everyone.

That being said, it is hard to buy a gift for someone you do not personally know. (Have you ever had to buy for a gift exchange). And there is a good chance that the person may not want/need/like what you give them. Especially on a cruise ship. They have a different palate than most of us, so they may not like the same candy, gum, etc. And they may not care about your particular sports team. (I can tell you if you are from Chicago and try to gift me with a Cubs hat, I am NOT going to wear it- lol). And their rooms are small and they don't have much room. SO there is a good to excellent chance that they are going to smile and throw it away later. Just like there is a good chance that the gift that you got at the gift exchange is getting re-gifted. If you are okay with that and still want to bring it, then go ahead. But you have to do it with the understanding that this may be something you are doing for you, not necessarily them. One thing that I think we would all agree is universally accepted and appreciated is cash. :D Kindness and a personalized note are nice too.

I can also see where some consider it to be patronizing to give little gifts to the staff, as if they are children or charity cases. Not saying that anyone is doing this, but it can be perceived that way.

If you were asking my opinion of what the staff would like most, I would guess cash. Do I know that for sure. Nope.

Hate to burst your bubble, but they end up having a hard time unloading them, even in the states. Last year a boy in school had the cops called on him because they thought he was passing counterfeit money.

Keep the "cute" things for your friends.

They can be exchanged at any bank in their home country!

A while back there were several posting about giving $2 bills. From what was posted, the majority said that the crew doesn't like them because they are hard to spend. Lots of places think they are fake because they don't see them that often. Same with the gold dollar coins that were going around a while back.

Any legal tender can be exchanged at any bank in their home country!

They can be exchanged at any bank in their home country!

Nothing says thank you more than carrying money around that you can't spend for 6 months till you get home, if you actually have a break between contracts. And having to exchange it at that.

Nothing says thank you more than carrying money around that you can't spend for 6 months till you get home, if you actually have a break between contracts. And having to exchange it at that.

LOL! So true. I see quiet a few people here and also on the RC forum that say they get $2 bills or the gold dollar coins to tip with and my immediate thought is WHY? :confused:

Those of you who wish to give a little extra gift because you make extra work for the steward or because you have children "who can be messy", I have a thought. How about midweek make a game of it and help the kids clean up the mess and have them experience the surprised, happy face of your steward when they open the door. Fun thing to do and cuts the stewards work that day.

Just an idea and no one needs to bash it if they don't particularly like it.

Like they can't send it home? Get real! And I'm sure they can also cash it at all banks when they are off the ship in port!

It's two to 10 the rest is given in regular bills your making a mountain out of a molehill!

Edited by goldenrod

Like they can't send it home? Get real! And I'm sure they can also cash it at all banks when they are off the ship in port!

Well the point being that first off who in their right mind is going to mail cash home? That would be dumb. But say they did. Then the receiving party the would have to take it to the bank or money exchange place. Hopefully they wouldn't have an issue as others have said, not everyone is familiar with the oddball denominations.

Second of all, I'm sure the last thing a crew member wants to do on their few hours off (who knows when that would even be) is to run around trying to exchange it for some easily spendable currency.

Why make it difficult? Just give them the normal cash and quit trying to be cute. If cute is what you're going for, tie a ribbon around it.

Well the point being that first off who in their right mind is going to mail cash home? That would be dumb. But say they did. Then the receiving party the would have to take it to the bank or money exchange place. Hopefully they wouldn't have an issue as others have said, not everyone is familiar with the oddball denominations.

Second of all, I'm sure the last thing a crew member wants to do on their few hours off (who knows when that would even be) is to run around trying to exchange it for some easily spendable currency.

Why make it difficult? Just give them the normal cash and quit trying to be cute. If cute is what you're going for, tie a ribbon around it.

I assure you at 70 I'm no longer cute but thanks. I shall continue to give out $2 bills if they don't want them they can donate them to the seamen's fund! But I have a feeling they will be able to use them in some way[emoji40]

Edited by goldenrod

I assure you at 70 I'm no longer cute but thanks. I shall continue to give out $2 bills if they don't want them they can donate them to the seamen's fund! But I have a feeling they will be able to use them in some way[emoji40]

Now that you mention it, the only time I ever got a $2 bill was from my grandpa. He told me they gave them out a lot at the racetrack. Don't know if it's true or not.

Happy cruising!

Now that you mention it, the only time I ever got a $2 bill was from my grandpa. He told me they gave them out a lot at the racetrack. Don't know if it's true or not.

Happy cruising!

Thanks same to you, looked at your profile and see you like Celebrity it's one of our favorite lines especially Solstice class ships!

Thanks same to you, looked at your profile and see you like Celebrity it's one of our favorite lines especially Solstice class ships!

I really do love Celebrity. Reflection is my favorite. I hope to return someday soon. Just been waiting for the right deal and timing. I still have an Open Passages Certificate I need to use.

If you feel very compelled to give them something other or including cash, I would make it something consumeable. Like a batch of homemade cookies. They could also share with room mates. But like others have said, CASH, CASH, CASH!!

If you feel very compelled to give them something other or including cash, I would make it something consumeable. Like a batch of homemade cookies. They could also share with room mates. But like others have said, CASH, CASH, CASH!!

Not trying to sound rude at all but homemade cookies? Eewwww. I wouldn't eat baked goods made by a private individual that I didn't know. Besides Carnival already has the best cookies - especially the room service chocolate chip ones [emoji1].

We've left pre-packaged peanut butter/cheese crackers. Our steward said he was happy to have a snack he could put in a pocket. Who knows, maybe he tossed them. I'm sure he did appreciate the cash we left him at the end of the cruise. We'll probably continue to do both.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app