Gift bags for Stewards? Anyone ever do this?

weddingdiva

I have always found being kind and courteous to the room stewards go a LONG way. Remembering their name and letting them know if you are a late sleeper or giving them advance notice of special requests or something that may alter your normal routine for the week.

We have always had amazing room stewards but the one that is the most memorable was on our RCL cruise. He asked about preferences upfront and inquired about the note on the account in regards to no feather bedding if there was anything I needed like extra pillows or blankets to accommodate. He was also from Haiti which was one of our ports that trip. We inquired if he would be able to visit with his family because noticed at other ports cruise staff meeting up with relatives and giving them tours of the ship. He did tell us that if he was able to finish his morning rounds early with the help of another room steward he would have a chance to take over an hour taxi ride to see his family for an hour or so and they would be traveling over 2 hours to have the chance to see him. We actually told him that he could go ahead and skip our room that day, he was more then shocked by our offer. Even though we told him to skip our room in Haiti he surprised us that morning while we were at breakfast making up the room anyway. He also left beach towels and made sure we had extra ice to fill our tervis bottles to go out on the island with.

Because of that act and just going above and beyond we made sure to leave a commendation card that same day with guest services and made sure to leave comments for him on all of the post cruise surveys. He also got hefty extra tips for going that extra mile.

A card stating you will write a nice comment on the survey about him and some extra cash will be greatly appreciated. My understanding (from an employee on a cruise many years ago) is that a comment may accumulate to an extra day off or some other recognition. Since there are children, maybe 1 card with drawings from all the children.

I have my bank get me 100 new $2 bills a lot of them have never seen one and think there kool!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A while back there were several posting about giving $2 bills. From what was posted, the majority said that the crew doesn't like them because they are hard to spend. Lots of places think they are fake because they don't see them that often. Same with the gold dollar coins that were going around a while back.

A while back there were several posting about giving $2 bills. From what was posted, the majority said that the crew doesn't like them because they are hard to spend. Lots of places think they are fake because they don't see them that often. Same with the gold dollar coins that were going around a while back.

I remember that as well. Cash and a nice comment about them on the survey is the best you can do.

I guess my question is how would you expect them to react? Of course they will appear appreciative because if they don't some would remove tips. They are going to fake it even if they don't want whatever you are giving them.

Stuff from your home state means nothing to them. I once had someone bring me a trinket from Italy. It was nice but had no real meaning to me as I didn't go to Italy. I said thank you and tossed it later.

Pretty much sums it up.

I have my bank get me 100 new $2 bills a lot of them have never seen one and think there kool!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hate to burst your bubble, but they end up having a hard time unloading them, even in the states. Last year a boy in school had the cops called on him because they thought he was passing counterfeit money.

Keep the "cute" things for your friends.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question with kindness and information.

As a newcomer to this community and a new cruiser, I truly appreciate this.

To responder, riffatsea, I don't understand the insults and belittling. Does this make you feel better about yourself? It certainly didn't make me feel good.

Edited by weddingdiva

And I do not understand why people can't just answer a legitimate question in a kind and informative way?? Without insulting and belittling the poster??

Especially new cruisers and newcomers to this community??

*Sigh* I guess these are just mysteries of life, huh?

Who belittled and insulted you? Just because someone says no that's a bad idea or doesn't agree does not mean they are rude.

Op:

I hope with your kind heart... You will know not to listen to Hateful rabid driven Social Media Speech like above. I will agree that Cash is King, but if you are tipping, and that's a good thing! Who cares if you bring something back from home like a small bag of Candy or a Ball cap from your NCAA Team, Do something for other people everyday!!

All The Best

Michael

He told the truth. Period. It may have been a little brutal honesty but in no way was he "rabid" or "hateful" :rolleyes: but its not surprising that so many find the truth offensive these days. The epitome of whats wrong with this country. Most people can no longer handle the truth. They only want to hear whats spoon fed to them that they agree with.

Edited by ryano

And I do not understand why people can't just answer a legitimate question in a kind and informative way?? Without insulting and belittling the poster??

Especially new cruisers and newcomers to this community??

*Sigh* I guess these are just mysteries of life, huh?

IMO, this discussion is actually one of the more polite conversations on this subject. Some of the older threads were pretty vicious, which is why I read through this entire thread, thinking it was so much more pleasant.

I would rather read an exchange of ideas than a barrage of name calling or insults.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question with kindness and information.

As a newcomer to this community and a new cruiser, I truly appreciate this.

To responder, riffatsea, I don't understand the insults and belittling. Does this make you feel better about yourself? It certainly didn't make me feel good.

Again where is he/she insulting you?

That person just stated their opinion. And I agree that IMO it's a bit of treating them like children when someone gives trinkets. They are adults working for money just like everyone else. They don't need a shirt that says Oklahoma on it or a bag of Hershey bars especially when they are on a ship full of food. They will always act appreciative even if they think it's crap. Why waste money on stuff that will most likely be tossed.

Also, just so some of you know, this was not my original idea. I had never thought of giving anyone gifts until I saw it posted on these boards. I thought since it was mentioned several times that maybe it was a thing.

Some of the responses I've received seem to be in the vein of "how stupid can you be?". So sorry for asking. I thought that's what these boards were for.

I would never give a gift INSTEAD of cash. I believe I mentioned this in my original post. I'm glad you veteran cruisers know so much about the crew and their living habits, but as a new cruiser, I don't. I thought you could help me out.

For the most part, responders were nice, but there was a significant amount of people who seemed appalled I would even ask this!

Way to treat a newcomer, folks!

If you want to give them something from your state, which many people do when they travel and stay in Air BNBs etc, why not grab a magnet that represents your state. Slip it in the card or envelope with cash. Small token that doesn't take up much space along with the almighty gift of cash. Who knows maybe they toss it, maybe they use it for decorations in their room....its less than $5.

Also, just so some of you know, this was not my original idea. I had never thought of giving anyone gifts until I saw it posted on these boards. I thought since it was mentioned several times that maybe it was a thing.

Some of the responses I've received seem to be in the vein of "how stupid can you be?". So sorry for asking. I thought that's what these boards were for.

I would never give a gift INSTEAD of cash. I believe I mentioned this in my original post. I'm glad you veteran cruisers know so much about the crew and their living habits, but as a new cruiser, I don't. I thought you could help me out.

For the most part, responders were nice, but there was a significant amount of people who seemed appalled I would even ask this!

It was an excellent question to ask, I have been to resorts where it was the custom not to give tips but rather to give gift packages. Common items were lotions and bath products for women and cigars for men. At these resorts employees were forbidden from receiving tips and could be dismissed for accepting them. They were occasionally searched when leaving work. They were permitted to accept gifts though as long as it was accompanied by a note from the guest.

A cruise ship being a different environment has different customs, if you don't ask, how would you know?

but there was a significant amount of people who seemed appalled I would even ask this!

You are taking this way too personal :) You had no way of knowing but this is just another "hot topic" here that tends to get pretty heated so some people do get appalled when its asked again. I dont see it as a personal attack against you though. Those are usually dealt with by Admin pretty quickly.

You are taking this way too personal :) You had no way of knowing but this is just another "hot topic" here that tends to get pretty heated so some people do get appalled when its asked again. I dont see it as a personal attack against you though. Those are usually dealt with by Admin pretty quickly.

Given comments that pop up around here didnt see anything as personal attack just a bunch of opinions.

Instead of spending say 10 bucks on something that might or might not be useful to the crewmember IMHO better to add the value as part of a tip.

You are taking this way too personal :) You had no way of knowing but this is just another "hot topic" here that tends to get pretty heated so some people do get appalled when its asked again. I dont see it as a personal attack against you though.

I saw snarky, uncalled for, yet predictable comments back on the first page of the thread.

I saw snarky, uncalled for, yet predictable comments back on the first page of the thread.

Snarky comments are never gonna stop around here. Still yet to see a personal attack though :) i have to agree with the OP that said this is one of the tamest threads on this subject ever around here. Cash being King is the general consensus on all these forums though, no matter the cruiseline.

My goodness??? How is it snarky or belittling to ask how people decide to give gifts to workers??

I am truly baffled by how some folks(not the OP alone who was only asking for info)decide to do this?

What is their thinking process??

It actually makes me angry to think about it but I had no idea my question would be considered "belittling" to the OP??:eek:

I was talking to those folks who had posted that they did this. To me it is condescending to the workers.

My goodness??? How is it snarky or belittling to ask how people decide to give gifts to workers??

I am truly baffled by how some folks(not the OP alone who was only asking for info)decide to do this?

What is their thinking process??

It actually makes me angry to think about it but I had no idea my question would be considered "belittling" to the OP??:eek:

I was talking to those folks who had posted that they did this. To me it is condescending to the workers.

That's the problem, you are getting angry when someone has simply posed a question. There is no reason to get angry.

To suggest that the OP is treating the crew like children is a snarky comment when that was quite obviously not their intent. Perhaps you didn't realize it, but that's how I read it and obviously how the OP read it.

Please read carefully!

I specifically said I am not angry at the OP for asking the question! I said I was angry at the idea which had been proposed by others which is why the OP asked about it in the first place! It is my opinion that giving trinkets/candy etc. is treating the staff like children. I am entitled to that opinion and saying it is not "snarky" as it is "my opinion".

Edited by riffatsea