Which direction is best for a TA?

PoppyandNana

I have heard of northern and southern TA's. What exactly constitutes northern vs southern?

Is there a particular time of year, direction and north or south that would result in easier seas?

Does the Queen run into rough seas as a general rule?

How can I convince my DW to go on any type of TA? Every time I bring up the subject I get the same answers: NWIH, NFW, IYD, WPF, GWID, NWJ, OOTQ, NFATTIC, NIAMY, UNC, FC,

Most people prefer traveling West where time changes are in your favor. A Southern route is normally calmer and warmer than a Northern Route. I've been on 15 TAs in both directions and only had rougher seas once. The Captain diverted the ship about 300 miles South to avoid a storm. Only 1 day was a bit rough. Weather is difficult to predict.

We've only been on two, both westbound. We like getting the long flight over with at the beginning and then the 25 hour days coming back!

We weren't sure we'd like them - particularly my DH who was concerned a bit that he'd be bored on 7 days at sea. There are a lot more things scheduled and honestly we were never bored. I had planned to do a lot of just lounging around but with the passenger choir rehearsals every day, an art class every day, two lecture series that were interesting to me, meals - it seemed like the days went really fast.

We hope to do one every couple years. They're a great value. And...the ports of call in Europe for us were all new and we had some of our most favorite vacation days ever on those two TAs.

I'm on my first TA right now. WB on the Reflection. Great cruise! IMHO been smooth sailing. But you may here differently from others. We had 36 hours of what the Captain called "moderate" seas. Noticeable movement but not bad at all. Otherwise calm seas. Can't wait to do another TA!

I've only been Eastbound, and I believe that would be my preference.

The one down side, is losing an hour each day. If you want to wake up at the same time every day, you will keep losing another hour of sleep. For me this isn't really an issue - I'm on a transatlantic cruise. If I sleep "later" each day so what? The only issue here for us was we never made it to Blu for breakfast as it opened and closed each day at the same time.

The rest is all positive. I like arriving in Europe with no jet lag - fresh to begin the next phase of the trip. Sure others may like to arrive home (if the US is home) with no jet lag....

Coming from the US, I also prefer ending the cruise with phase 2 of vacation still ahead. If the TA were bringing me back home, I'd start counting down the last 7 (or more) days of the trip dreading the looming end of vacation.

But as you can see - it's all personal preference. I suggest you do one each way and let us know which YOU like best.

Mike

I have heard of northern and southern TA's. What exactly constitutes northern vs southern?

Is there a particular time of year, direction and north or south that would result in easier seas?

Does the Queen run into rough seas as a general rule?

How can I convince my DW to go on any type of TA? Every time I bring up the subject I get the same answers: NWIH, NFW, IYD, WPF, GWID, NWJ, OOTQ, NFATTIC, NIAMY, UNC, FC,

LOL, I don't know what all those letters mean, but I believe your wife agrees with me. TAs are simply not our cup of tea. Too many consecutive sea days.:(

I hear you TomBeckCruise. I don't know what those letters are also... Is DW = Dumb Wife?

As far as " NWIH, NFW, IYD, WPF, GWID, NWJ, OOTQ, NFATTIC, NIAMY, UNC, FC" goes, I have to admit I have no clue.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I was waiting for someone to ask what the letters mean:

DW Designated Wife

NWIH. No Way in Hell

NFW. (thought everyone knew this one) = No F......Way

IYD. In Your Dreams

WPF. When Pigs Fly

GWID. Go When I'm Dead

NWJ. No Way Jose

OOTQ. Out Of The Question

NFATTIC. Not For All The Tea in China

NIAMY. Not In A Million Dollars

UNC. Under No Circumstances

Edited by PoppyandNana

A northern transatlantic ends in the northern US, New York or Boston. The southern ones go to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Our TAs from the Mediterranean have always taken the southern route. Sailing from Southampton, we've finished in both New York and and Ft. Lauderdale.

We love the sea days and Celebrity does an exceptional job of providing interesting activities. After a week of hectic European ports, a week of doing nothing is perfect.

Neither northern or southern guarantees you smooth sailing.

I was on one southern TA and the seas were so smooth I had to look outside at the water to be sure we were moving.

But the Captain said that another ship was three days ahead of us on the same route and had stormy seas the entire way.

We have done one TA in each direction. Our East bound cruise was from Florida to Harwich, England and the West bound was from Copenhagen to Florida.

Both encountered stormy seas to some degree when close to the British Isles, North Sea and a day before approaching the English Channel. Between Florida and the Azores the seas were calm.

We like taking care of the main part of the trip (land trip or cruise or both) in Europe first, then having a more relaxed TA cruise back to America.

Our next TA is in October 2017 from Southampton, England to Miami, via, Boaton, NYC then Bermuda, Nassau and FLA. That route will probably involve colder and stormer weather than the southern route, but we love the itinerary with Boston, NYC and an overnight there as well as Bermuda.

Still, our four week drive tour of England and Wales will be in October, instead of May, which would be the case if we had booked the Eastbound earlier in the year.

We have done 10 TAs including both east and west bound. Items to be considered:

Eastbound- 5 or 6 twenty-three (23) hour days so sleep could be an issue to some.

Generally better and more consistent weather in April.

If you get a veranda and like the sun book on starboard side. If you don't want the sun book on the port side.

Westbound- 5 or 6 twenty-five (25) hour days and arrive in US w/o jet lag.

Weather is more iffy due hurricane season in Oct/Nov especially on a northern itinerary e.g. Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, etc.

If you want a veranda and like the sun book on port side and vice versa if you don't want the sun.

If you live near the destination port you can easily bring your European purchases home w/o worrying and airplane checkins, extra charges etc.

We love TAs and hope the OP enjoys theirs.

I hear you TomBeckCruise. I don't know what those letters are also... Is DW = Dumb Wife?

As far as " NWIH, NFW, IYD, WPF, GWID, NWJ, OOTQ, NFATTIC, NIAMY, UNC, FC" goes, I have to admit I have no clue.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

If that is what DW stands for the opposite of that is DH (Dead Husband):eek:

I've done both directions (twice EB and 6 WB). I much prefer to visit the ports the first week and relax the second week. You gain an hour almost every night the second half of the trip and you dock in Florida without any jetlag.

I didn't mind my second EB cruise because there were plenty of sea days mixed in between the port days.

But from now on, I will book a WB before and EB.

Monica

19 TAs, 11 WB, 8 EB.

Direction of no concern to us...either arrive US or Europe no jet-lag. Don't understand the attraction of "25 hour days"-- don't need that many hours a day so not a factor for us. North or South IS a factor on WB...4 Northern route cruises and diverted on every single one, including last month. In Italy now for WB sailing on Saturday--Southern route so hopefully no diversions there but you always need to factor in tail-end of hurricane season. EB in April/May is generally calmer weather.

Just adding my two cents.....

Gaining or losing 1 Hr most days isn't really important to me. I prefer EB for 2 reasons;

1) I like to begin with the sea days. This gives us a chance to relax and unwind before hitting the active port days.

2) We spend a few post-cruise days touring before we fly home and it is nice to arrive in Europe without jet lag.