How do Coke drinkers manage on NCL ships?

mamasylvia

> It's called a discussion forum. Don't be rude.

Really? So it's perfectly okay for people to make snarky comments about others' preferences and morality, and judgmental comments damning priorities that were never claimed, but pointing out to those (the truly rude) who insulted me and anyone who has a strong preference for one type of drink over another, that they didn't need to read the thread, gets a rebuke from you?

I think you should take your own advice.

> It's called a discussion forum. Don't be rude.

Really? So it's perfectly okay for people to make snarky comments about others' preferences and morality, and judgmental comments damning priorities that were never claimed, but pointing out to those (the truly rude) who insulted me and anyone who has a strong preference for one type of drink over another, that they didn't need to read the thread, gets a rebuke from you?

I think you should take your own advice.

This is the Internet. It's just kind of the way it works, whether we like it or not. Sometimes an "innocent" question can get comments and replies that are just plain rude. Especially here at CC.

I'm just so glad I don't drink soft drinks at all! Because, no matter where I go I can always just drink good ole water and enjoy it! :D

If someone would seriously consider not going on a particular ship because of different soda served....might I suggest a great trailer park a lot closer to Wyoming without the added costs. And...you can bring your own soda...YAYYYY

I can't believe the waste of bandwidth on this and that I even commented. SMH

I can't help thinking about how the 'Coke suits' might react to reading this thread. They could teach the 'NCL suits' a thing or three about instilling brand loyalty!

Rule 1 - develop a product people like and are loyal to.

Rule 2 - don't mess about with aforementioned product.

Rule 3 - if someone tries to bring in 'new, improved', read rule 2.

Edited by SteveH2508
added rules for Frank's benefit

Good points, Steve! Although I still think it's stupid of Norwegian to not come up with a way to make money from their cruisers' drink preferences. They sure don't mind making money from other preferences (such as alcoholic drinks, fancy dining, spa services, and shore excursions). Why do they care whether their cruisers drink Coke or Pepsi products, as long as both add to their revenue stream? Maybe there is a Pepsi executive on the board of directors.

What the rude commenters in this thread don't realize is that Coke-loyalty is no different from loyalty to a particular cruise line (or even a particular ship) or a certain type of cruise or a certain type of room or a certain dining time, and there are plenty of examples of all of these on CC without being criticized for it. (Nor do I think they deserve criticism; it is their personal preference.) We all have things we like, and there is no reason to forego some things we like in order to enjoy a different thing we like, such as a cruise. So I just figure anyone who feels they have to criticize my family members' preferences, or me for trying to accommodate them, has more problems than I do.

Good points, Steve! Although I still think it's stupid of Norwegian to not come up with a way to make money from their cruisers' drink preferences. They sure don't mind making money from other preferences (such as alcoholic drinks, fancy dining, spa services, and shore excursions). Why do they care whether their cruisers drink Coke or Pepsi products, as long as both add to their revenue stream? Maybe there is a Pepsi executive on the board of directors.

I've never been on a cruise line that serves both Pepsi and Coke products. They always have an exclusive contract with one or the other and usually within that contract they get a lower price if they only serve that company's product. So, basically NCL can not sell Coke, otherwise that would void their contract with Pepsi and if they went with no contract with either company (and sold both Coke and Pepsi), that would raise the prices on their sodas to their consumers. The only way they could make money off folks bringing on Coke products is probably to charge them a fee, like a corkage fee, but even with that since they would be making profit off Coke, I'm not sure how that would work with their contract with Pepsi.

FYI, there is not a Pepsi executive on the board of directors, but there is a man who use to head up Burger King and Burger King sells exclusively Coke products.

...How can a soda choice be a deal breaker

well... simply put, addiction is a crazy beast.

and all jokes aside, it's an actual serious problem for a lot of people.

like, if you're actually considering altering your vacation plans around a substance that you're addicted to, then you're pretty deep in.

it's interesting that our western society recognizes addiction to alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs, but often forgets about food, sugar and sweetener addiction that often times is far more harmful and prevalent.

And that's largely down to booze smugglers.

And that could very well be part of it, but remember they also won't let you bring on bottled water anymore either. They are also selling soda packages so I suspect that was a motivation as well.

The latest one is that they don't want you to take food off the ship. Someone who got off the Getaway shortly ago reported that they had sniffer dogs to catch people. No other cruise line does this and the ports of call have never demanded it either. Someone calculated the cost of the amount of food leaving the ship and decided this was another nickel and dime worth chasing.

Edited by Evangaline
typo

And that could very well be part of it, but remember they also won't let you bring on bottled water anymore either. They are also selling soda packages so I suspect that was a motivation as well.

The latest one is that they don't want you to take food off the ship. Someone who got off the Getaway shortly ago reported that they had sniffer dogs to catch people. No other cruise line does this and the ports of call have never demanded it either. Someone calculated the cost of the amount of food leaving the ship and decided this was another nickel and dime worth chasing.

Worst post of the day. NCL is going by the port of call agriculture rules. "Sniffer Dogs" are from the country that is being visited and has nothing to do with NCL. What a terrible attempt at denigrating NCL for "nickel and diming". And yes, other cruise lines have the same rules. :rolleyes:

Every time I go to Cozumel on Carnival we have to go through the "sniffer" dogs.

Do you really think NCL makes the determination whether we can bring food off the ships at certain ports?

The last cruises I was on with NCL was in 06 and 07 on the Spirit. They had Coke then. We had the "Coke" plan, they added a little Coke sticker to your card. I'm a little disappointed they switched to Pepsi since I like Coke better. I like Jack and Coke's. I do not like it with Pepsi, but I'm sure I'll find something and survive. Jack and ginger for example.

Worst post of the day. NCL is going by the port of call agriculture rules. "Sniffer Dogs" are from the country that is being visited and has nothing to do with NCL. What a terrible attempt at denigrating NCL for "nickel and diming". And yes, other cruise lines have the same rules. :rolleyes:

This came someone who had just disembarked from The Getaway a couple of weeks ago and posted a review. She said the dogs were there as they disembarked the ship. She had never seen this on other cruise ships and I must say that of the four lines I have sailed with, I have never seen it either.

Do you really think NCL makes the determination whether we can bring food off the ships at certain ports?

The person posting this on her review said that the information had been circulated on the ship and that it applied to all ports and as the ports were in 3 different countries, it would seem to be the cruise line and not the country. Others on that roll call had the same impression. When I read this, I assumed it was another of these changes that NCL has been doing lately. That seemed to be the general consensus, but maybe they were looking for funny brownies.

Regarding trying to smuggle coke back on board in a bag....you might be more successful returning from each port as opposed to embarkation. With the new carry on regulation that kicked in back in July, they are bring diligent with their inspections and an attempt at embarkation will probably result in the bottle of Coke having to be poured out. If buried in the middle of a bag getting back on board from a port stop, success will have a higher probability.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I'm a Diet Pepsi in a can addict and feel for the coke lovers. At least my beverage of choice is available at a price. I used to think, who in their right mind would pay $100/day for an alcohol package but now that canned soda is banned from being brought onboard I'm not going to judge anyone for paying an arm and leg for beverages. $80/case of Diet Pepsi is about the going rate onboard. Still less than their water though. You'd think they would just plain come out and charge $50/case of bring your own soda cans of choice. I mean they're blatantly charging an extremely high markup on the water bottles and don't care about any bad press so why not just go for it with the canned coke corkage fees.

I don't think you can smuggle anything onboard. We recently did the two week med on the Jade. it was amazing how effectively they collected the water bottles. Even in Santorini they tendered ashore water watchers and garbage containers to rid everyone from their water. It was blazing hot too. Then after you get to the ship you have to put your bag on the scanner so double checking for contraband.

It is what it is but no doubt a money grab. It's not going to prevent me from sailing NCL but it sure was a hot topic of gripe with passengers.

We all have things we like, and there is no reason to forego some things we like in order to enjoy a different thing we like, such as a cruise.

I can't really agree with you about this. As a teenager I was a def a soda addict, never really cared what kind but diet coke varieties were my first go to. My first international trip was in Italy and France where I quickly discovered the many differences between there and here. For example, I was a vegetarian at the time and was served squid in the France as their "vegetarian" meal, because they don't look at vegetarian the same way we do. I also learned that if they had soda, it was maybe coke, and coke light if you were lucky; and it would be $5 for a warm 12 oz can.

I get you guys are going on an Alaskan cruise, but travel to me is about trying new things and experiencing new places. Granted, NCL made the decision to run Pepsi products only, so it's not really the same thing, they could run Coke products and/or allow you to bring coke products on board. But if it were me and my family, I would encourage them to embrace the experience of travel with all the new things it brings, rather than be bummed out that they can't have their favorite soda 24 hours a day.

Re: the suggestion that the OP put a can or 2 of Coke in their bag or back pack when they get back on board in port. I think this may pose a problem. One has to put a bag, purse etc. on the security conveyor belt and the cans of Coke would be identified. You can't even bring water back on board so I doubt you could bring a can of coke even if in a backpack or a large purse.

The person posting this on her review said that the information had been circulated on the ship and that it applied to all ports and as the ports were in 3 different countries, it would seem to be the cruise line and not the country. Others on that roll call had the same impression. When I read this, I assumed it was another of these changes that NCL has been doing lately. That seemed to be the general consensus, but maybe they were looking for funny brownies.
It certainly could have applied at ports in three different countries, since many countries/ports have regulations about bringing certain food items off the ship or they could have been looking for other items (drugs, bombs, etc.). Maybe instead of assuming, those that thought it was NCL's decision and dogs, they could have asked NCL for clarification, instead of continuing to spread this without facts and saying NCL is nickel and diming with regard to food being brought off the ship.

It certainly could have applied at ports in three different countries, since many countries/ports have regulations about bringing certain food items off the ship or they could have been looking for other items (drugs, bombs, etc.). Maybe instead of assuming, those that thought it was NCL's decision and dogs, they could have asked NCL for clarification, instead of continuing to spread this without facts and saying NCL is nickel and diming with regard to food being brought off the ship.

Many ports (countries) are very specific about food leaving the ship... Cozumel have dogs as you enter the port area from the dock. Mostly for food and I suppose for drugs as well... Saw many people being pulled over for non per-packaged food like sandwiches and fruit.

I've been a Diet Coke addict for over 30 years and was on the Getaway last week. I was initially disappointed that Diet Coke wasn't available. I purchased a couple bottles of Diet Pepsi onboard and avoided purchasing Diet Coke in port. By the end of the week, I was drinking only ice water with a couple lemon and lime segments. I had my first glass of Diet Coke this morning and the taste changed! I dumped out the Diet Coke and had water with lemon this morning. I think the NCL ban on Diet Coke is helping me get over my addiction. :)

I've been a Diet Coke addict for over 30 years and was on the Getaway last week. I was initially disappointed that Diet Coke wasn't available. I purchased a couple bottles of Diet Pepsi onboard and avoided purchasing Diet Coke in port. By the end of the week, I was drinking only ice water with a couple lemon and lime segments. I had my first glass of Diet Coke this morning and the taste changed! I dumped out the Diet Coke and had water with lemon this morning. I think the NCL ban on Diet Coke is helping me get over my addiction. :)

Great way to look at it... Been drinking since the 80's and the past couple of years have slowed way down. MORE RUM!

The fact is, no cruise does what you claim - including NCL. The dogs and the dogs handlers belong to the port and the country the port is in. In one US port (I believe it was Los Angeles), you couldn't even take the food outside (still on the ship) to eat it.

Edited by Cuizer2