How do Coke drinkers manage on NCL ships?

mamasylvia

This is a serious question, honest. 6 of my family members are booked on the Norwegian Pearl next May. It sounds like a wonderful Alaska cruise, but if I had known they only serve Pepsi products and don't allow you to bring your own Coke products on board, I think I would have looked at a different line because 3 of the 6 cruisers are Coke-dependent.

I'm sure they are not the only Coke fanatics who have ever cruised on NCL. If you have experienced this, how did your Coke fanatic manage?

Then cancel and rebook on another line.

Thanks for the helpful replies! DH can probably substitute coffee. SIL hates coffee but maybe I can get her to try the lime. BIL I'm not sure about. None of us are beer or liquor drinkers so none of those suggestions apply.

None of us are doing beverage packages, so it occurred to me I can also point out to them that sodas incur an additional charge, which should motivate them to stick to iced/hot tea and whatever other beverages are complimentary - what are they on NCL? Someone mentioned lemonade, but I don't know what besides Coke SIL and BIL drink. RCI had very nice flavored waters.

GUT, I did get some useful suggestions. They were just buried in a lot of snark. The flaw in the comparison with Disney is that there are several cruise lines hitting essentially the same ports, often at the same time, so there is no reason we have to tolerate NCL's persnickety policies for future cruises. I'm not much of a soda drinker, period, but I want my Coke-dependent family to be able to enjoy their usual drink. Buying Cokes in ports had occurred to me. However, no one in the family suggested switching to a different line - but I will definitely ask, before booking any future cruises, whether Coke products are available onboard. Whoever that bothers is welcome to skip this thread.

hmmm...DW is avid Dr Pepper drinker..is Mr Pibb a Pepsi product found on board?

I'll be fine with the myriad of margaritas I hope to discover on the Getaway in

Feb...ESPECIALLY if I can find someone who can produce my favorite...............the jalapeno margarita !

lol and thanks in advance

Dr Pepper drinker..is Mr Pibb a Pepsi product found on board?

I believe that Mr. Pibb is Coke's answer to Dr. Pepper (bottled by Pepsi) and

therefore not an option.

If you get the promo or buy the UBP it is amazing with all the ways and concoctions

that can be made outside of the Pepsi family.

Don't forget the Wine Tasting side trips and also the Martinis NO Pepsi stuff there.

I tried Jameson and Ginger Ale recently - something to wet the whistle and a

better taste than Pepsi and Jack or Rum.

Now IF NCL would just include that expensive bottled water and the specialty

coffees in the UBP I could easily have an alternate fix to what I miss with the

Coke family.

What NCL should do is allow any kind of beverages from any source and charge

a corkage fee like the wine brought on board.

As is NCL is shooting themselves in the foot and not capitalizing on revenue

that could be made off of allowing the alternate beverages.

Charges like a dollar or so per can or bottle which people would pay to have

their beverage of choice.

The customer wins - NCL makes money and everyone is happy - well maybe

not Pepsi !

I'm not much of a soda drinker, period, but I want my Coke-dependent family to be able to enjoy their usual drink. Buying Cokes in ports had occurred to me. However, no one in the family suggested switching to a different line - but I will definitely ask, before booking any future cruises, whether Coke products are available onboard. Whoever that bothers is welcome to skip this thread.
Don't know what your embarkation port is, but in Miami, they have a Coke machine after you go through security in the main waiting area that sells 20 oz bottles for 2.00. You can buy as many as you would like and carry them on. Buying Cokes in port is of course doable, but they will have to be consumed in port since you're not allowed to bring full or opened bottles or cans back on board with you.

All of the other major mainstream US based cruise lines have Coke products. RCI, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, HAL.

It is really hard to believe there are people in the world who would say "I only drink Coke and would never go anywhere they don't serve Coke".

Or "I only eat hamburgers, etc., or I only drink Bacardi Rum.

There are so many alternatives in this world, these people don't know what they are missing. Let your hair down, try a 7up or a Filet Mignon or a Margarita.

This is like saying "I like to cruise to Cozumel so I will never go on a cruise that doesn't go there".

Its is also like folks that say I only cruise in suites... Or NCL is my only line....

I'm a Diet Coke drinker, but not the kind that has to have it every day. We often grab a Diet Coke while in ports. There are plenty of places selling soda in the port area and around towns. There used to be Coke products included in the assorted mini-fridge items and we'd drink one during the cruise when we were jonesing for it, but I don't think it's been that way for awhile. Cruises for me are a good way to detox from soda. :-)

Rum and Coke is my default "I'm going to fall asleep during this activity if I don't get a drink with caffeine" drink. On cruises, I just act like a grown up and settle for a Rum and Pepsi. Which makes it mediocre, so I only have one. Healthier, I guess.

I am not a regular Coke drinker at all. Usually I drink Diet Coke. My husband and I went to China on a tour. At the first lunch they offered us beer. I cannot drink beer at lunch or I will be sound asleep. The guide was very concerned and asked me if I wanted a Coke. I did not want to disappoint her, so I said yes. From then on, every lunch and every dinner for ten days I was served a Coke with my meal. It was there waiting for me and I drank it. Not the best beverage to go with delicious Chinese food, but it gives me pleasant memories of a wonderful trip.

I know this is not right.....but......we had the drink package, so soda was "free" for the trip.....but like you, I am a Coke Zero addict. So, I packed 10 bottles spread out over 3 suitcases.......I figured, if they took them, no big deal....but I had to try!

All 10 bottles made it intact to our room! I had a coke zero every morning and "made do" with diet pepsi in the afternoon. It worked for me.

When we went ashore, I made sure to have a coke!

Kim

What ship and embarkation port? Sounds like a plan for me.

> What NCL should do is allow any kind of beverages from any source and charge a corkage fee like the wine brought on board.

I totally agree! Let anyone bring their UNOPENED, sealed liquid of choice onboard. If they are concerned about the revenue stream, charge that silly corkage fee. DH hates spending money but he would happily pay to have his Diet Coke in the mornings.

> in Miami, they have a Coke machine after you go through security

It's Seattle and we will certainly look for a machine! Do you remember if the Miami one required cash or would accept credit/debit cards? So we can be prepared if there is one in Seattle.

That Diet tonic water comment should go in the "funniest complaints" thread. ;)

I actually request cola at Chinese restaurants who serve blah tea, which is unfortunately most of the Chinese restaurants around here.

I mean...drink something else perhaps? I know people have their preferences but it's hard for me to believe coke products can make or break a vacation. I quit drinking soda a few months ago and feel all the better for it. But when I was a regular soda drinker if they didn't have my flavor of choice (Dr. Pepper) I'd just pick my next favorite. :cool:

The most absurd drink issue I ever saw someone have was that they would not cruise with a specific because they did not have DIET tonic water.

I remember a guy who was concerned about the brand of ketchup that the ship served and was thinking of bringing his own :eek: KETCHUP:eek: to the ship. There was recent mention from a guy who said the brand of pop was deal-breaker for him and that is absolutely an incredible idea.

I remember a guy who was concerned about the brand of ketchup that the ship served and was thinking of bringing his own :eek: KETCHUP:eek: to the ship. There was recent mention from a guy who said the brand of pop was deal-breaker for him and that is absolutely an incredible idea.

We're taking along a bottle of A-1 for DM. It's the little things that can make or break a vacation.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app