How do Coke drinkers manage on NCL ships?

mamasylvia

I like coke. I am more of a Dr.Pepper person. It is to bad that they don't just carry both brands. But I would just bring a few cans of what I like. I don't drink it everyday. Only when I feel the need for the sweetness and fizz.

Slight flaw in your plan - NCL do not allow any liquids to be brought on board except wine for a corkage fee.:(

All those folk you hear about jumping overboard?

Coke drinkers.

Hilarious!

My last two cruises I would just carry our sodas on board. Now, with this no carry policy, I've been in Diet Pepsi training!

I really don't like the new Pepsi taste but I've been forcing myself to drink it in preparation for our up coming cruise.

For those of you who can't understand this, think about taking away your coffee or tea for a week and then maybe you will understand. Personally, I don't see the fascination with Starbucks, but I don't begrudge those who do.

I really wish they would reconsider this policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is really hard to believe there are people in the world who would say "I only drink Coke and would never go anywhere they don't serve Coke".

Or "I only eat hamburgers, etc., or I only drink Bacardi Rum.

This is like saying "I like to cruise to Cozumel so I will never go on a cruise that doesn't go there".

Yeah I don't understand it either. I don't like Mexican ports so I will never go on a cruise again that does go there. :p

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I have never avoided a trip, restaurant because of the type of drink they serve or don't serve. I like Diet Pepsi but I would never cancel a trip because they wouldn't have it.

Plus I actually liked the flavor waters they served for free when I wasn't partaking in the UBP.

#firstworldproblems

This is a serious question, honest. 6 of my family members are booked on the Norwegian Pearl next May. It sounds like a wonderful Alaska cruise, but if I had known they only serve Pepsi products and don't allow you to bring your own Coke products on board, I think I would have looked at a different line because 3 of the 6 cruisers are Coke-dependent.

I'm sure they are not the only Coke fanatics who have ever cruised on NCL. If you have experienced this, how did your Coke fanatic manage?

mama...reformed coke drinker here...made the switch about 9 months ago..here is how i did it:

1. Do not try to quit/ make the switch "Cold Turkey" it will only make you lust after the coke product even more

2. I was drinking about 6 cans of Coke a day...every 4th one...i would switch out for pepsi...

3. After 2 weeks of the switch i would then switch out 2 cans of the 6 each week until i was able to make a complete soda transformation.

4. I attended a few coke drinker anonymous (CDA) meetings with my loved ones one a weekly basis.

5. if this dosent work then i feel you need to leave NCL...or just drink coke products "in Port" when the ship docks...

best of luck...

stay strong...

keep us updated...

Mark

Lots of judgey answers. As GUT2407 says, nothing you can do they will have to deal with it. Just make sure they know before they go.

And I think there is a huge taste difference between diet coke and diet pepsi. I prefer diet coke but will drink diet pepsi if there is no other option.

Coke-vs.-Pepsi.jpg

OP - I feel your pain! We drink only caffeine-free diet coke at home. When we sail Carnival, no problem! I get their bottomless bubbles plan, and I get a nice fresh can poured into my container each and every time. However, on NCL I not only have to make do with diet pepsi - but Caffeinated Diet Pepsi!! And out of a soda spigot, on top of that! I usually end up drinking club soda. I survive, but barely!!:D

OP -- while I'm not much of a soda drinker myself, I cannot abide the taste of Pepsi, so I sympathize. The best suggestion I can offer is that you have your family members try to get their coke "fix" while in port.

Rather than try to acclimatize to Pepsi, I'd suggest that your family members just find non-cola things to drink while on board. If they really are going to be miserable, maybe finding another cruise line that either serves Coke products or allows you to carry your own beverages on would be a better option.

How does a Coke drinker deal with having only Pepsi products?

The same way how I as a Pepsi (diet) drinker deals with a place that only serves Coke (like Disney). Since I don't drink alcohol, I either deal with it and drink Coke, I drink water or ice tea. I would never think of not visiting a place like Disney because of the soft drink products they offer nor would I not sail on a cruise line such as Norwegian because they don't serve my soft drink of choice. :)

Edited by lastchamp64

I know this is not right.....but......we had the drink package, so soda was "free" for the trip.....but like you, I am a Coke Zero addict. So, I packed 10 bottles spread out over 3 suitcases.......I figured, if they took them, no big deal....but I had to try!

All 10 bottles made it intact to our room! I had a coke zero every morning and "made do" with diet pepsi in the afternoon. It worked for me.

When we went ashore, I made sure to have a coke!

Kim

This is a serious question, honest. 6 of my family members are booked on the Norwegian Pearl next May. It sounds like a wonderful Alaska cruise, but if I had known they only serve Pepsi products and don't allow you to bring your own Coke products on board, I think I would have looked at a different line because 3 of the 6 cruisers are Coke-dependent.

I'm sure they are not the only Coke fanatics who have ever cruised on NCL. If you have experienced this, how did your Coke fanatic manage?

you answered your own question. if you are coke dependent its time to cut down or eliminate

I'm not really picky, If they carried Diet Sierra Mist or Diet Mountain Dew, I would be ok with that in lieu of D.C., but I don't believe they do. It will just force me to order more drinks off the UBP.

They definitely do carry Diet Sierra Mist - I drink it with Jameson on every NCL cruise. I mentioned it in my response on page 1 trying to help, but I wonder if it got buried in the snarkier comments? Anyway, you may have to try a few different bars as some run out later in the cruise, but they do carry it in cans.

I know this is not right.....but......we had the drink package, so soda was "free" for the trip.....but like you, I am a Coke Zero addict. So, I packed 10 bottles spread out over 3 suitcases.......I figured, if they took them, no big deal....but I had to try!

All 10 bottles made it intact to our room! I had a coke zero every morning and "made do" with diet pepsi in the afternoon. It worked for me.

When we went ashore, I made sure to have a coke!

Kim

Details, please.

When? What ship? Embarkation port?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

hmmm...DW is avid Dr Pepper drinker..is Mr Pibb a Pepsi product found on board?

I'll be fine with the myriad of margaritas I hope to discover on the Getaway in

Feb...ESPECIALLY if I can find someone who can produce my favorite...............the jalapeno margarita !

lol and thanks in advance

Mr. Pibb is a Coca-Cola product. Dr. Pepper is part of Dr. Pepper, Seven-Up and Snapple. They allow their products to be sold with other brands.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

When I gave up sugar, I gave up soda as I HATE diet soda...until they invented Coke 0...now I am hooked again...I too had them cart a case to my cabin...until our last cruise where the rules changed. :mad: I always make my own iced tea anyway as I hate the mix they use so I did that as per usual and had my 0 in port. I still think it stinks...that and all the other changes that they made AFTER I told my cousin how awesome NCL is and that she should use them...oh well...it's a small price to pay I guess but some of these current changes are ridiculous. :(

They definitely do carry Diet Sierra Mist - I drink it with Jameson on every NCL cruise. I mentioned it in my response on page 1 trying to help, but I wonder if it got buried in the snarkier comments? Anyway, you may have to try a few different bars as some run out later in the cruise, but they do carry it in cans.

Awesome that is good news thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums