How do Coke drinkers manage on NCL ships?

mamasylvia

I only got through page 5 and won't bother reading the rest as there really wasn't much constructive to read.

I certainly identify with your problem. My DH is insulin dependent diabetic, so he requires diet soda. He ALSO has a cardiac condition that requires him to have NO caffeine.

He doesn't "require" diet soda. Soda is not required at all as a part of his treatment.

I hear Royal Caribbean has Coke Freestyle machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-vlGY3DyQ

Not only do you get a superior product, you have MORE choices. NCL likes to only limit choices.

Yes, they do, but sometimes the machines are down. Nevertheless, it was wonderful to not have to wait at a bar and compete. You have to hunt around and find where the machines are.

He doesn't "require" diet soda. Soda is not required at all as a part of his treatment.

Your post will probably get deleted. I posted something similar last year (needs vs. prefers) and it was deleted.

If someone posts "I prefer xxxx but cannot get it...", that is very different than "I require xxxx for my survival and NCL won't let me bring it...".

I get that people want/prefer Coke and I even suggested allowed ways to enjoy it while onboard. NCL not selling it or allowing it through security doesn't count as discrimination.

This is a serious question, honest. 6 of my family members are booked on the Norwegian Pearl next May. It sounds like a wonderful Alaska cruise, but if I had known they only serve Pepsi products and don't allow you to bring your own Coke products on board, I think I would have looked at a different line because 3 of the 6 cruisers are Coke-dependent.

I'm sure they are not the only Coke fanatics who have ever cruised on NCL. If you have experienced this, how did your Coke fanatic manage?

I totally understand your concern. I suffered through two NCL cruises drinking Diet Pepsi. Two things I've found that help, lemon or lime, or if we are lucky, they have Pepsi Zero, and I can tolerate that better than Diet Pepsi.

Those of us who drink it don't need to be reminded how bad it is, we know it. Most of us do something bad to our bodies.

There are more serious issues to be concerned with.

Sincerely,

The Beer Drinkers

Whilst I was raising me family, I did drink Coke...

Pepsi was too sweet, and of course, no time for alcohol.

Now that I'm retired, and the kids have grown,

as Doug says;

A splash of Pepsi (instead of Coke) in my rum will make little difference.

There are more serious concerns on a cruise. :p

Edited by $hip$hape

We are considering NCL vs Celebrity. Dismayed to read that NCL is Pepsi-only. I know it sounds trivial, but there is a strong preference in the family for Coke. Not a deal breaker, but it will come up in the vote.

If you have kids, they will be a lot happier on NCL than they will be on Celebrity.

I understand people have preferences, but 160+ posts on this topic is insane (I stopped reading after #10). Either drink Pepsi or not, but if this is something that will impact your vacation, then how will you deal with real problems, if they arise? Seriously.

Oops, realized this thread was re-opened after a year. But my above comment is still accurate.

Edited by Travel R

I get the biggest kick out of these "I cannot live without my Coke/Pepsi threads." I have no problem switching between them. There is a slight difference in taste and I usually can tell which is which. When given a choice when buying? Which one is on sale in the supermarket?

P.S. On the Princess and RCCL boards the Pepsi freaks complain just as bitterly. But at least on Princess they can take their precious Pepsi on board. It is unfortunate that NCL isn't as accommodating for Coke fanatics.

I only got through page 5 and won't bother reading the rest as there really wasn't much constructive to read.

I certainly identify with your problem. My DH is insulin dependent diabetic, so he requires diet soda. He ALSO has a cardiac condition that requires him to have NO caffeine. At home he drinks caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper (which is hard to find, but doable). He would prefer to be able to bring it on the ship with him (as he can do on CCL and RCCL) but would be happy with ANY diet, caffeine free cola. The problem, NCL does not carry any cola that is both. The suggestion of alcohol also does not work for him, as he also suffers from chronic pancreatitis. Although he would REALLY love to have an alcoholic drink, it would land him in the infirmary.

I know there are not many people who suffer from this myriad of afflictions (although it is getting to be a higher percentage thanks to the aging of Vietnam vets and Agent Orange), but the issue is VERY REAL and does impact which cruise line we chose to sail with. We are going on the Dawn in January because we are part of a much larger group, but it would not have been our first pick and NCL is NEVER our pick when we are sailing just the two of us.

from what you said toward the end of your comment, it appears you are not a lover of NCL period. As for other lines, that is what makes the need for various cruise lines so important. Each line has something that appeals to one and not the other. We can all find a line that meets our likes and dislikes.

This is a serious question, honest. 6 of my family members are booked on the Norwegian Pearl next May. It sounds like a wonderful Alaska cruise, but if I had known they only serve Pepsi products and don't allow you to bring your own Coke products on board, I think I would have looked at a different line because 3 of the 6 cruisers are Coke-dependent.

I'm sure they are not the only Coke fanatics who have ever cruised on NCL. If you have experienced this, how did your Coke fanatic manage?

The same way I as a Pepsi fan forced to drink coke deals with it. I put on my granny pants and get on with it.

Oh goodness, what a yawn. Scroll back guys, it’s been said over and over.

Personally, it’s just “what you’re used to” same as preferences between King Crab and Lobster. Either is way too expensive in the UK to eat at home and be used to it, other than restaurants.

If you’re that stuck on it, it’s sad really as clearly over indulged. Variety is the spice of life?! Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly identify with your problem. My DH is insulin dependent diabetic, so he requires diet soda. He ALSO has a cardiac condition that requires him to have NO caffeine. At home he drinks caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper (which is hard to find, but doable). He would prefer to be able to bring it on the ship with him (as he can do on CCL and RCCL) but would be happy with ANY diet, caffeine free cola. The problem, NCL does not carry any cola that is both. The suggestion of alcohol also does not work for him, as he also suffers from chronic pancreatitis. Although he would REALLY love to have an alcoholic drink, it would land him in the infirmary.

I know there are not many people who suffer from this myriad of afflictions (although it is getting to be a higher percentage thanks to the aging of Vietnam vets and Agent Orange), but the issue is VERY REAL and does impact which cruise line we chose to sail with. We are going on the Dawn in January because we are part of a much larger group, but it would not have been our first pick and NCL is NEVER our pick when we are sailing just the two of us.

Given the medical condition, you could contact NCL special needs about bringing some of the sodas that your DH can drink onboard.

from what you said toward the end of your comment, it appears you are not a lover of NCL period. As for other lines, that is what makes the need for various cruise lines so important. Each line has something that appeals to one and not the other. We can all find a line that meets our likes and dislikes.

You are correct, NCL is not my first preference but this is a group we wish to sail with. While we USED to love the NCL product, we find all of their new restrictions too much to deal with. IF we were people who would benefit from the UBP, that would be different, but we mostly drink soda and water. Since DH can't have his preferred soda and the bottled water is over the top expensive, that really limits his choices. While many people say "get over it", it is HIS vacation also and he should be able to enjoy it with his beverage of choice. I'm sure many of those same people would be singing a different tune if the ship stopped serving alcohol.

Given the medical condition, you could contact NCL special needs about bringing some of the sodas that your DH can drink onboard.

I have tried going that route and was told that his "desire" for a specific type of soda is just that, a desire not a need (as has been pointed out by a previous poster). Never mind the fact that they do not offer ANY options that are diet and caffeine free. I also told them that his Dr. has stated that he CANNOT drink desalinated water, as it is not truly salt free, could we bring some water onboard. Their response was to "buy it onboard" at their incredibly inflated rate, that is not covered by the UBP.

So many people have asked how we could let this "make or break" our vacation, but that's the point. It IS our vacation and why should anyone have to "make due" with something they don't really like/want when they have just spent thousands of dollars for a vacation. He has had to make so many lifestyle changes because of his medical conditions (smoking, alcohol, diet changes, etc.) his one "vice" left is caffeine free diet soda. If he has that and a good book, he's as happy as a clam. Why is it so hard for people to understand that.

Yep, it was resurrected by someone that needs their Coke fix, yet wants to cruise on NCL. If Coke is that important to them and they want it on board, pick any other US based cruise line and you'll find Coke on board and if you choose RCI, you can have a Freestyle Machine on many of their ships as well. If you must sail on NCL, then buy 20 oz bottles @ 2.00 each once you get past security as has been suggested by the last few posters. Sending a note to the CEO will not cause the bean counters to change their minds as to whom their soda vendor of choice is.

But since the resurrection was made by a first time poster, it's more than likely just a troll trying to stir the pot.

I am not a troll. This thread may have been inactive for over a year but I happened upon it when trying to find an option to get Coke on my NCL cruise in February 2018. I appreciate people responding with ideas. I will definitely be buying coke from the machine post-security check in. Thanks!

I am not a troll. This thread may have been inactive for over a year but I happened upon it when trying to find an option to get Coke on my NCL cruise in February 2018. I appreciate people responding with ideas. I will definitely be buying coke from the machine post-security check in. Thanks!

Start a new thread if you feel the need to instead of resurrecting a seven page thread from a year ago where everything that can be said, already has been said. Internet Posting 101.

Lots of people have to make lifestyle changes, but don't get addicted to a fizzy drink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't say he was addicted, I said it was his PREFERENCE !! With so many medical conditions, his options are very limited for beverages and NCL doesn't provide ANY sodas that would satisfy all of the criteria. The purpose of a vacation is to enjoy himself. If he ENJOYS a diet, caffeine free fizzy drink, why shouldn't he expect to be able to have one?

I didn't say he was addicted, I said it was his PREFERENCE !! With so many medical conditions, his options are very limited for beverages and NCL doesn't provide ANY sodas that would satisfy all of the criteria. The purpose of a vacation is to enjoy himself. If he ENJOYS a diet, caffeine free fizzy drink, why shouldn't he expect to be able to have one?
I understand people wanting what they like, I'm also a caffeine free diet Coke drinker at home. One has to remember that cruise lines, restaurants, airports, sports stadiums, etc. have contracts with either Pepsi or Coke and in those places we can only get one brand. Do people not go to a restaurant, because they don't serve their brand, I guess some would, and the same is true with airports or stadiums. I'm sure, even though it is his preference, being on a cruise, enjoying the sunshine and family will make him forget all about his preferred drink of choice, because it is amazing how having a great time will make some things not seem so important.