How do Coke drinkers manage on NCL ships?

mamasylvia

I didn't say he was addicted, I said it was his PREFERENCE !! With so many medical conditions, his options are very limited for beverages and NCL doesn't provide ANY sodas that would satisfy all of the criteria. The purpose of a vacation is to enjoy himself. If he ENJOYS a diet, caffeine free fizzy drink, why shouldn't he expect to be able to have one?

Club soda is available at all bars and restaurants, which is both sugar free and caffeine free with zero calories.

Bull. I'm a life-long Pepsi drinker and haven't tasted Coca-Cola in over 30 years.

I agree, I am not a soda drinker, but if I am going to have one it is always Pepsi, Coke is too sweet in my opinion and a bit strong. Where does anyone get the idea there are no Pepsi drinkers? :rolleyes:

You are correct, NCL is not my first preference but this is a group we wish to sail with. While we USED to love the NCL product, we find all of their new restrictions too much to deal with. IF we were people who would benefit from the UBP, that would be different, but we mostly drink soda and water. Since DH can't have his preferred soda and the bottled water is over the top expensive, that really limits his choices. While many people say "get over it", it is HIS vacation also and he should be able to enjoy it with his beverage of choice. I'm sure many of those same people would be singing a different tune if the ship stopped serving alcohol.

I have tried going that route and was told that his "desire" for a specific type of soda is just that, a desire not a need (as has been pointed out by a previous poster). Never mind the fact that they do not offer ANY options that are diet and caffeine free. I also told them that his Dr. has stated that he CANNOT drink desalinated water, as it is not truly salt free, could we bring some water onboard. Their response was to "buy it onboard" at their incredibly inflated rate, that is not covered by the UBP.

So many people have asked how we could let this "make or break" our vacation, but that's the point. It IS our vacation and why should anyone have to "make due" with something they don't really like/want when they have just spent thousands of dollars for a vacation. He has had to make so many lifestyle changes because of his medical conditions (smoking, alcohol, diet changes, etc.) his one "vice" left is caffeine free diet soda. If he has that and a good book, he's as happy as a clam. Why is it so hard for people to understand that.

I don't think it is a matter of totally not understanding I think it is a matter of choices. You say, those of us who may not cruise because there is no alcohol: you are right many would not, but first of all: none available or not your brand choice are 2 different things, plus it still boils down to, if you don't like the choice you choose another line. I can understand your wanting to cruise with your friends, but the fact still remains, you have that choice and you can't expect a business to change their policy because it doesn't fit your desires. BTW, I do have sympathy for your husband. We were visitng a friend from church yesterday, his condition sounds similar to yours and he lives on a very restricted diet as well. As we all get older, we are facing medical conditions that restrict much of what we used to enjoy. My own husband has to make adjustments due to limitations on what he can and can not do. Because of his mobility problems there are many ports we can not enjoy. We have no choice but to stay on the ship. I would not expect a cruise line to adjust their itinerary so he could enjoy each port. He doesn't do tenders, he can't do ports where the walk to the outside of the port entry is long, etc. We have to often pay a little extra for our cabin because location is very important. He has to put up with his stupid walker when it can be very confining. His favorite form of exercise and one of the few things he can do is water walk, but we can't do that using the adult pool on any ship because they only have ladders and his hormones treatments he had when he was fighting cancer has left his legs too weak to use the ladders. He has learned to live with this.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Diet coke lover here!

I am sailing next April on NCL and just found this out as well. I was going to get the soda package until I found this out.

I can tolerate diet Pepsi when I have to but I find on the cruise I really do not drink a lot of soda. I drink more water or lemonade as well as trying new alcoholic drinks!

Think of it as a chance to try out new drinks and when in port grab that coke! (It will be cheaper!)

They have coke zero on Harvest Caye. In bottles. I wonder if we could have bought a few and brought them back

onto the ship? Didn't know the rules so didn't do it.

You saved yourself money because NCL doesn't allow bottles or even cans to be brought back on board. Even if you paid for a litre bottle of their overpriced water on board and after taking it ashore to drink, if there was some left in the bottle they would not allow it.

The most absurd drink issue I ever saw someone have was that they would not cruise with a specific because they did not have DIET tonic water.

not good if you are diabetic like me not just a choice but needed

I am amazed at this thread. I notice that most posters are from around America how hooked are Americans on canned drinks !. That bloody coke wagon with the holidays are coming has a lot to answer for. Oh and just to throw something else in the mix it is Christmas is coming not holidays put that in your exhaust pipe Coca cola

I want to put all of your through the Pepsi challenge :p

In the past, I would agree with you as I would have failed this test. I couldn’t tell the difference between Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi until in 2015 when Pepsi Co removed the aspartame and replaced it with Sucralose.

Since then I can’t stand the taste of it, so if I took that test, I would know immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think it is a matter of totally not understanding I think it is a matter of choices. You say, those of us who may not cruise because there is no alcohol: you are right many would not, but first of all: none available or not your brand choice are 2 different things, plus it still boils down to, if you don't like the choice you choose another line. I can understand your wanting to cruise with your friends, but the fact still remains, you have that choice and you can't expect a business to change their policy because it doesn't fit your desires. BTW, I do have sympathy for your husband. We were visitng a friend from church yesterday, his condition sounds similar to yours and he lives on a very restricted diet as well. As we all get older, we are facing medical conditions that restrict much of what we used to enjoy. My own husband has to make adjustments due to limitations on what he can and can not do. Because of his mobility problems there are many ports we can not enjoy. We have no choice but to stay on the ship. I would not expect a cruise line to adjust their itinerary so he could enjoy each port. He doesn't do tenders, he can't do ports where the walk to the outside of the port entry is long, etc. We have to often pay a little extra for our cabin because location is very important. He has to put up with his stupid walker when it can be very confining. His favorite form of exercise and one of the few things he can do is water walk, but we can't do that using the adult pool on any ship because they only have ladders and his hormones treatments he had when he was fighting cancer has left his legs too weak to use the ladders. He has learned to live with this.

The Dawn has stairs in the main pool.

In the past, I would agree with you as I would have failed this test. I couldn’t tell the difference between Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi until in 2015 when Pepsi Co removed the aspartame and replaced it with Sucralose.

Since then I can’t stand the taste of it, so if I took that test, I would know immediately.

I definitely can tell the difference now that Pepsi no longer has aspartame! I can’t stand Diet Pepsi, but if it’s all that’s available, I will tolerate it.

Fully agree with you regarding the change. Thankfully the Pepsi zero sugar as well as Coke Zero are around and the two of them could be put in a blind taste test.

You saved yourself money because NCL doesn't allow bottles or even cans to be brought back on board. Even if you paid for a litre bottle of their overpriced water on board and after taking it ashore to drink, if there was some left in the bottle they would not allow it.

I did see some people stocking up on Coke/Diet Coke in the waiting area in Miami. Don't know if it was taken away from them.

Bunch of you Coke heads should not come to the Philippines, been to three events where all they had was Pepsi. I don't drink carbonated sugar water, so I have no dog in this fight, but the whole topic is one of the more ridiculous first world problems.

Bunch of you Coke heads should not come to the Philippines, been to three events where all they had was Pepsi. I don't drink carbonated sugar water, so I have no dog in this fight, but the whole topic is one of the more ridiculous first world problems.

And despite how ridiculous it is people keep commenting in and and bumping it up.

Oh wait, nevermind.

I am amazed at this thread. I notice that most posters are from around America how hooked are Americans on canned drinks !. That bloody coke wagon with the holidays are coming has a lot to answer for. Oh and just to throw something else in the mix it is Christmas is coming not holidays put that in your exhaust pipe Coca cola

Totally agree with you. It is very sad when somebody's enjoyment of their holiday depends on whether they can or cannot get Coca Cola. Personally, I choose a cruise because of its itinerary, not what drinks they serve on board.