Oceania Dress Code Nuances/Interpretations

njhorseman

Some threads do take on a life of their own

When you got the answers you were looking for it is best to just stop reading the thread

..or just go with the flow.

It's just the nature of the beast (and CC) :)

Edited by Paulchili

Now you are being silly.

To all you long time Oceania cruises, truly how often do you see people at dinner at the specialty restaurants or the MDR improperly dressed. We sailed in mid-December on a Celebrity cruise and never encountered sloppy dressing at dinner in 10 days. "Me thinks thou do protest too much"!:p;)

Katie

To all you long time Oceania cruises, truly how often do you see people at dinner at the specialty restaurants or the MDR improperly dressed. We sailed in mid-December on a Celebrity cruise and never encountered sloppy dressing at dinner in 10 days. "Me thinks thou do protest too much"!:p;)

Katie

well said.....;)

I think Don wore closed toed sandals & if you do a search of his old post there are some photos

I agree; Don wore Fisherman's style sandals which means almost wholly closed toes.

It helps to remember that fisherman's sandals were designed for working fishermen; historically, they are not a leisure shoe design. That means the wide straps are arranged to largely cover the toes -- not for modesty -- but to protect the foot against accidents while working. The small gaps between the straps allow water to drain away from the foot.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

As the person who started this thread I think I need to remind some of you what my original question was:

Unfortunately, rather than just factually answering two simple questions, some of you (by no means everyone) felt the need to launch into huffy, self righteous, nose-up-in-the-air, judgmental rants as if you are the appointed gate-keepers of all things proper on Oceania...and in the world in general.

I had the answers I needed by post #3, and thanked the responders in post #4, but by post#7 there's a snide response complete with a ":rolleyes:", and overall it's gone downhill from there.

When we board Insignia next week we hope don't find too many of the self-appointed guardians of all things proper. If we do, our first Oceania cruise will be our last. There are lots of choices in cruising.

Thanks again to those of you who recognized the legitimacy of the original and follow-up questions and answered them in a straightforward, nonjudgmental way.

PS: I did a lot of research on Oceania before booking, and have considered cruising on Oceania for some time. This wasn't a hasty decision. In fact because I did my homework I noticed the holes in Oceania's published dress code...details that either weren't addressed at all or details that appeared to be incomplete or inconsistent.

Well said and kudos.

I respectfully disagree with you based on the fact that I have much prior experience on Oceania and you seem relatively new to the line - please correct me if I am wrong about this. I am basing my observation on my past experiences.

We have cruised with them since 2006 and have 24 cruises - hence a lot of past experiences to draw on and have seen many changes over those years.

Frequent past Oceania cruisers are much more familiar with the "customs and regulations" on Oceania and are much more likely to follow them.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is a very large number of new clientele on Oceania - most of it coming from mass market lines (a few from luxury lines). Just check the number of threads here on CC where people new to Oceania post their numerous questions about what to expect on Oceania; almost every second thread is on that or similar topic. I see people on the ship that have no idea that there is an afternoon tea every day (and all sorts of things they are totally unaware of). They are shocked at the lack of entertainment options, quiet evenings, etc, etc - obviously they have not done their research about the new line (and that may include things like dress code).

There is no problem with new cruisers from any line per se but I am saying that not everyone new to Oceania is on CC and does their research ahead of time. Thus they may be unaware of not being able to serve themselves in the buffet or dressing less casually for dinner, both of which are commonly done on many other lines. Repeat Oceania customers may be guilty of these things as well but newcomers are much more likely to be so. That is all that I am saying. People do what they are accustomed to doing on cruises unless they investigate the new line ahead of time (as many do here) or are told otherwise on the ship.

I agree that it should be called to their attention rather than let everyone do what they please and let the rest of us ignore it - as someone here suggested.

You are correct, we will be on our first Oceania cruise soon.

I did my research on Oceania and I do not have any issues with the dress rules. What I have been saying is it is up to the staff to enforce them.

We picked Oceania specifically for the itinerary, not dress or deportment code.

Lastly, you seem disagree with something I posted. That thing was actually a quote from your post. It was your statement that "mass market" people were coming to Oceania and bringing, as I read it, unacceptable "customs" to Oceania? All the more reason for the staff to be vigilante and let passengers know what is correct and what is not. I find, on this topic, many people making excuses for the staff complacency. If the staff does not enforce, then I find it funny that passengers, past, present or veterans of Oceania to be "concerned".

Maybe they could have a dress code for the pool deck.

Oville, we must take different Celebrity cruises because everyone I've been on in the last couple of years I've seen people come in to the MDR with shorts, on nights other than the first one.

It doesn't bother me, but it certainly isn't following their dress code.

Maybe they could have a dress code for the pool deck.

Oville, we must take different Celebrity cruises because everyone I've been on in the last couple of years I've seen people come in to the MDR with shorts, on nights other than the first one.

It doesn't bother me, but it certainly isn't following their dress code.

Luminae, Blu and Specialties, haven't eaten in the MDR for a long time.

Luminae, Blu and Specialties, haven't eaten in the MDR for a long time.

I haven't sailed on Celebrity but have friends that do. I'm fairly certain that "Blu" is only for guests in certain suites (correct me if I'm wrong) and, according to the Celebrity website, Luminae is "The exclusive restaurant

for Suite Class". It is less likely that people would dress inappropriately in these dining venues.

Celebrity is thought of as a premium cruise line by most people and I would expect the dress code to be a step above mainstream cruise lines and maybe a small step below Oceania (not putting down any cruise line).

I guess that it sounds elitist when Cruise Critic members talk about the differences in the people that sail on NCL (for instance) vs. Celebrity vs. Oceania vs. Regent. Isn't it true that mainstream cruise lines cater a bit more to children and families while Oceania and Regent cater to families only during the summer and school breaks? Also, you can sail on Royal Caribbean, Carnival or Norwegian for a fraction of the cost of premium, luxury lite and luxury cruise lines.

Speaking for myself, I'm glad that I could only afford "regular" vacations when my children were growing up. Had I been into cruising, I would have selected Disney due to the wonderful Disney characters that are onboard and the reputation that Disney has in general. Had my daughter gone on Oceania as a young girl she would have been bored but more importantly, would expect that she would be able take this type of vacation when she reached adulthood (how many young adults could afford Oceania at the age of 18? - certainly not anyone in my family). There is something to be said for experiencing all levels of travel and not necessarily starting at the top.

So, yes - IMO there are differences in the expectations of mainstream cruisers that are different from premium cruisers, etc. And, to bring this back to really learning about a cruise line's culture, it needs research (just as one generally researches ports that they will be visiting in other countries to insure that they act in a manner that is not offensive to the people in that country).

So, my suggestion to people new to Oceania is to simply read people's opinions, decide which ones make sense for you and go from there.

All ask this again, how often do people dress inappropriately in the MDR and Specialty Restaurants. Is it often, somethimes, pretty rarely or once in a blue moon?

Blu is for Aqua Class staterooms which are not suites but veranda cabin sized. The are considered Spa cabins, limited to two passengers and include some Spa privileges but not many.

I guess the answer would be what people think is inappropriate. Personally, I don't think yoga pants are appropriate in the specialty restaurants, but I saw a number of women wearing those in Jacques and Polo on my last two cruises. And some of them should never wear yoga pants except in their home, especially when they pair them with a crop top.

We used to cruise Celebrity pretty much exclusively, but with the constant downgrading of the product, we've moved to Oceania. It used to be that you had to dress up in their specialty restaurants, such as their French theme restaurant, Murano. But they began allowing just about anything in there, even a couple of times, men wearing shorts. They also began allowing shorts in the MDR at night. Celebrity also started taking things away that used to be included in the price of your cruise and they began charging extra for menu items in the specialty restaurants that were always included. And they do all this while increasing their fares.

We were just on Sirena 2 weeks ago. A few people were wearing shorts in the Terrace for dinner, which is permissible, but most were not. Oceania does not generally draw a crowd of total misfits, so most people do dress casually elegant at night. I would imagine a warmer Caribbean cruise may have a few more beach attire interactions however.

Oceania from our limited experience (3 cruises thus far) do not seem to enforce dress codes. We are treated as paying customers and can do as we feel. But conformity to the standard still sort of rules with the Oceania crowd. People did seem to dress up a bit more for the specialty restaurants. I saw a few jackets,even ties! :eek:

We used to cruise Celebrity pretty much exclusively, but with the constant downgrading of the product, we've moved to Oceania. It used to be that you had to dress up in their specialty restaurants, such as their French theme restaurant, Murano. But they began allowing just about anything in there, even a couple of times, men wearing shorts. They also began allowing shorts in the MDR at night. Celebrity also started taking things away that used to be included in the price of your cruise and they began charging extra for menu items in the specialty restaurants that were always included. And they do all this while increasing their fares.

We were HUGE Celebrity fans when we started cruising in the early 2000's. Celebrity offered a very refined product, similar to the current Oceania. We now prefer Oceania because it totally lacks the current nickel and dining that Celebrity seems to Excel at! I still do love Murano however, even at the current exorbitant pp price. They had an Escargot Tortellini that was out of this world!

Speaking for myself, I'm glad that I could only afford "regular" vacations when my children were growing up. Had I been into cruising, I would have selected Disney due to the wonderful Disney characters that are onboard and the reputation that Disney has in general.

Just be grateful that you weren't into cruising when your kids were growing up because there is nothing "regular" about Disney prices. Those onboard Disney characters do not come cheap!

There are several mainstream cruise lines that match Disney for its children's programs/facilities, but Disney knows it can charge a premium price for its name and cachet. And it does.

Just to be clear in case anyone is confused. Dressy shorts(or most nice shorts) are allowed in Terrace at all meals, regardless of whether some people think it's proper or not. It is specifically mentioned in the daily currents that they are allowed there.

All other venues at dinner should at a minimum be for men, long pants, not jeans, nice collared shirt, closed toed shoes. For the most part women can wear anything. I'll never forget the 30 something woman, traveling with her mother, that wore outlandish, look at me!! outfits to dinner, including hotpants, this was the night they were having dinner with the GM.

Edited by ORV

I would agree that the MDR and Specialties Maitre De normally enforce the dress codes with men more than women. I have seen men turned back for wearing very casual jeans where woman get in wearing the same thing. Same goes with women wearing flip flops that would never be allowed on men. Painting one's toenails do not make flip flop saddles!

I believe that the staff generally does a fairly good job of policing the situation, especially the first couple of nights when some of the guests want to "test the waters" to see what they can get away with. As I stated earlier, I actually think there is little confusion in the dress code, it mostly people just trying to test it. Some will always test their limits and occasionally a few are able to sneak through, but typically not often.

Why some believe that yoga pants are country club casual, I don't understand. Why someone that wears a size 48 believes they are ccc, and that they look good in them, is a totally different conversation! :confused:

There are many flip flop style sandals that would be appropriate to wear at dinner with nice slacks and blouse. For example: http://www.6pm.com/p/adrianna-papell-carli-platino/product/8689316/color/5913

This is exactly why I believe there is so much discussion of footwear! TC2, those are wonderful, and very dressy, and I would definitely say those sandals are appropriate, however per dictionary.com, they really aren't flip flops:

Flip-flop:

a flat, backless rubber sandal, usually secured on the foot by a thong between the first two toes, as for use at a beach, swimming pool, etc.

So depending on what the wearer thinks is a "flip flop", (IMHO, not what they paid for them), you will get various responses!

Now that said, google flip flop and you get many different meanings!

Edited by Cruseforme

There are many flip flop style sandals that would be appropriate to wear at dinner with nice slacks and blouse. For example: http://www.6pm.com/p/adrianna-papell-carli-platino/product/8689316/color/5913

Those are nice wedge sandals, not flip flops. And those are definitely too pretty to wear on a beach in the sand, unless one is having a beach wedding.