Dress Code - No Jeans policy

NeilP57

I don't mean to make too much of this dress code issue, but what do you mean "a note was added to our booking"? We leave in less than 4 weeks for our Christmas on the Med cruise and our paperwork has already been mailed. I'm afraid I'm just a jeans type of guy as I live in central Mexico and wear shorts and sandals 48 weeks a year. I do have several nice new Levis and sweaters from my former days in Denver. I'm on this cruise for the Med history/culture/archaeology and to enjoy seeing how Europeans celebrate Christmas, not wondering about dress codes. I've been on 9 riverboat cruises and this issue never came up.

Like we have all said...don't worry. I like to dress up a bit for dinner....not over the top, just a bit of glitz. It doesn't worry me at all if you want to wear jeans. My man looks amazing in nice jeans!

Each to his own and all that. :)

Can you imagine a short chubby woman with grey hair looking elegant? Me either. I used to be auburn, but have embraced aging.

Yup, that's exactly what I see in the mirror each morning!! I know there are some of that description who can pull it off but I just am NOT one of them.

I phoned Viking customer service today to verify this change. I was told that the change was the result of a survey of past guests. However, since our. booking was made under different terms and conditions, we will be following the previously posted dress code and a note was added to our booking to verify that we will not be turned away because of the no-jeans rule.

I voiced my displeasure with the change and will be reiterating that opinion in an email to their executive staff. One of the essential reasons we cruise exclusively on Viking (rivers and ocean) is because of the relaxed atmosphere. We travel for the destinations; the onboard ship amenities, while nice, are secondary. I would be very unhappy if Viking turned into an Oceania or NCL or one of the other cruise lines that caters to those who only remain onboard while in port.

How do the rest of you feel about this issue?

I agree with you. I may just call, also.

I am always amazed at these threads. If a person likes to dress up for dinner, go for it. If a person prefers jeans that's great, too. BUT, to expect everyone to adhere to your expectations and preferences is wrong. We go to cruise and enjoy the destinations. Not to judge.

Nothing has really changed in their dress policy. Viking requested no jeans during dinner in their venues other than the World Cafe (which is excellent) from the very beginning when We were on their inaugural cruise of the Star. When we sailed their Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary a few years ago, They requested the same on their rivers cruises. The majority of people didn't wear jeans - and it wasn't an issue.

I don't care if someone is wearing nice jeans and a nice shirt in any of the restaurants - - it isn't some kind of deal breaker, offensive, or poor taste to us-- that said, Viking is in fact offering the ability to do this, just not throughout all venues for dinner, and this is the same position they have always taken on Oceans (Rivers has only one restaurant).

We can roll with it however they guide in their policy. If we want to eat in their MDR and alternative restaurants, we are fine to change our clothes and completely enjoy ourselves. Just personally, if I am running around all day and going out to a nice dinner even at home, I like to change my clothes - so it's nothing different.

Totally understand and agree with need to be a little dressier for Manfredi's etc but World Cafe doesn't require the same. But agree with the desire not to have sloppy jeans. But really I never saw them even during the day. Who wants to go to a foreign country and walk around looking like a slob? So neat and tidy clothes in the evening makes sense to me. But I'm not into dressing up more than just wearing a nice pair of slacks and a decent top.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

I phoned Viking customer service today to verify this change. I was told that the change was the result of a survey of past guests. However, since our. booking was made under different terms and conditions, we will be following the previously posted dress code and a note was added to our booking to verify that we will not be turned away because of the no-jeans rule.

I voiced my displeasure with the change and will be reiterating that opinion in an email to their executive staff. One of the essential reasons we cruise exclusively on Viking (rivers and ocean) is because of the relaxed atmosphere. We travel for the destinations; the onboard ship amenities, while nice, are secondary. I would be very unhappy if Viking turned into an Oceania or NCL or one of the other cruise lines that caters to those who only remain onboard while in port.

How do the rest of you feel about this issue?

I took your lead and wrote them online. This was my response:

Thank you for your recent email.

We appreciate your feedback on the recent policy change. If you wish to further your comments please write directly to Customer Relations in writing, send your correspondence to the following address: Viking Cruises Attn: Customer Relations 5700 Canoga Ave. Suite #200 Woodland Hills, CA; 91367.

With kind regards,

Viking Cruises

• 2 months later...

Waking this thread to shed another viewpoint on jeans at dinner.

My husband and I are apparently "young" for Viking, but I think we represent middle-age fairly accurately in our day-to-day lifestyle. He is 56 and I am 44. We are looking forward to our cruise (Sky - March 4, Romantic Med) for the exact reason that we WANT a quiet, thoughtful cruise with other "like-minded" passengers, regardless of age. Our life is fast and loud. We can't wait for s-l-o-w and peaceful!

What does that have to do with jeans? We live in San Antonio, and for our peers (40's, 50's and young 60's), nice dark jeans are considered absolutely appropriate for a nice party or dinner. There are plenty of men who dress up their jeans with a blazer and cool tie for a cocktail party. And I'm NOT talking about cowboys. These are high-level execs and the like. It's just our culture here.

Thank goodness someone sent me this link when I posted a new question about jeans for dinner! I guess my DH is getting some new pants!!

Edited by abbykate

Men were in jeans and t shirts in the MDR on the Sea in December.

My husband asked me why he had to bring collared shirts and dress pants, he doesn't wears jeans but he wears cargo pants.

People were more dressed up in Chefs Table and Manfredi's

That it is luvtheships!! Which is why it made me laugh![emoji23]

Their term over 55 always gives me a chuckle too

Most 70 to 80 year olds I know....

Love rock music

Wear casual clothes

Have great haircuts

Drive out to the beach with the radio blasting

I could go on and on but something I read years ago always resonated with me and I'm 59....

Research has proven that in our mind we never really believe we are older than 22. The body of course is a different thing. Lol

So The typical 70 yo was 22 in the mid sixties.

They were Doors and Beatles and Stones fans !!!!

I think those that use the term "over 55" are making a big mistake if they think that is an older demographic when reality is it's the baby boomer demographic that isn't aging like the previous generations did....when 50 was OLD!!!

Geez ...my 68 yo dh and I had our youngest kid a mere 16 years ago and I wanted 1 more after that too. Kids keep you young mentally and physically. Plus later years kids usually mean your older kids are built in babysitters.

We snorkel and zip line and I wear flip flops 9 months a year

Anyway I digress but honestly we dress nicely on all of our cruises...even on the very casual NCL

We were looking into a Viking river cruise for our 30th anniversary but now I'm not so sure if the demographic is too elderly

Edited by luvtheships

Please don't give up on VR. I'm 63 by the calendar but not in my mind. Still work full time. Occasionally pull crazy late night efforts. Play CDs in my car at full blast of artists like Paul Simon sometimes singing along. If it's the summer and warm, I'll have the windows and sun roof open at the same time. The folks we saw on VR Grand European Tour 2 yrs ago were a great mix including a family with a college age daughter.

Their term over 55 always gives me a chuckle too

Most 70 to 80 year olds I know....

Love rock music

Wear casual clothes

Have great haircuts

Drive out to the beach with the radio blasting

I could go on and on but something I read years ago always resonated with me and I'm 59....

Research has proven that in our mind we never really believe we are older than 22. The body of course is a different thing. Lol

So The typical 70 yo was 22 in the mid sixties.

They were Doors and Beatles and Stones fans !!!!

I think those that use the term "over 55" are making a big mistake if they think that is an older demographic when reality is it's the baby boomer demographic that isn't aging like the previous generations did....when 50 was OLD!!!

Geez ...my 68 yo dh and I had our youngest kid a mere 16 years ago and I wanted 1 more after that too. Kids keep you young mentally and physically. Plus later years kids usually mean your older kids are built in babysitters.

We snorkel and zip line and I wear flip flops 9 months a year

Anyway I digress but honestly we dress nicely on all of our cruises...even on the very casual NCL

We were looking into a Viking river cruise for our 30th anniversary but now I'm not so sure if the demographic is too elderly

Been on two river cruises, waiting to go on our ocean cruises, so let me say that if you are fun, then you will find other fun people , on the China cruise, we hung out with a great group at the piano bar. Nit the last to leave. We all danced and had a great time. I had an injured leg but I still danced with my cane, lol. I was 58 at the time. Enjoy

I'm 66 and will be on Viking Sea in July. I've been retired from the real world for 12 years.

We are not our parents generation. I play in a southern rock band (allman bros etc) and gig 30 plus weeks a year.

Interesting comment about thinking of yourself as a 22 year old. I always tell people when I get on stage it's like being 21 again, except I play better these days and my gear seems heavier than it used to be.

My only issue with Dress Codes on any cruise line is that if you have one - enforce it. It's not really fair to those who comply to allow those who don't.

I don't really have any objection to nice jeans if they are worn with a nice shirt. As long as people are clean and neat, and not dressed like slobs with holes in their clothes (even when holes are fashionable :D ) I have no issue.

But if I'm making my husband dress in dockers & a polo and the guy at the next table is in jeans or sweats and a t-shirt, he's not going to be happy - and I can't have that!

I like to dress nicely. For day I wear Bermuda length shorts, and an LL Bean t-shirt. For dinner I wear black or white pants (because they go with everything!) and a nice top. On our river cruise, I wore an LL Bean t-shirt with a a scarf or a nice necklace, then I'd wear the t-shirt again with shorts for an excursion. Worked out well.

FYI - I've lived for 69 years. I don't consider myself old - not 22, but more like 36 :D I like contemporary rock. Play it fairly loud. And I like an adventure - not terribly risky, but I'll go to the edge of my comfort zone. I stay fit. And I pretty much stopped caring what other people thought a long time ago! :cool:

I can't wait for my Viking Ocean cruise, and I hope that Viking clears this up. I don't need Battle of the Dress Code while I'm trying to relax over a good meal!

I'm 66 and will be on Viking Sea in July. I've been retired from the real world for 12 years.

We are not our parents generation. I play in a southern rock band (allman bros etc) and gig 30 plus weeks a year.

Interesting comment about thinking of yourself as a 22 year old. I always tell people when I get on stage it's like being 21 again, except I play better these days and my gear seems heavier than it used to be.

I forgot where I read about the 22 yo thing but Ive discussed this theory with many contemporaries and they agree. My mother agreed too and at age 80 she said she still mentally saw herself in her 20's She had all her faculties btw. Lol

My take on it...22 is usually around the time we were boldly and harshly thrown into the real world.

I honestly don't recall my years from 23 to 30 as incredibly easy to get through even though I worked at a great career and traveled the world and had a satisfying social life...it was still a time of uncertainty

Then of course came marriage and kids ....and personal priorities take a back seat and the "real" real world takes over.

So 22yo is probably the last time we baby boomers were actually care free and easy going and had little responsibilities. A time we like to remember. Rod Serling had a field day with stuff like this I recall.

Remember.....baby boomers went to work right out of college and always worked hard and knew to make good decisions. We are self sufficient and strong

Living in our parents basement was unheard of and

We would have laughed if someone offered us hot cocoa and crayons and safe spaces. Lol

We actually became adults at 23....I guess that's why 22 is so appealing. Lol.

I forgot where I read about the 22 yo thing but Ive discussed this theory with many contemporaries and they agree. My mother agreed too and at age 80 she said she still mentally saw herself in her 20's She had all her faculties btw. Lol

My take on it...22 is usually around the time we were boldly and harshly thrown into the real world.

I honestly don't recall my years from 23 to 30 as incredibly easy to get through even though I worked at a great career and traveled the world and had a satisfying social life...it was still a time of uncertainty

Then of course came marriage and kids ....and personal priorities take a back seat and the "real" real world takes over.

So 22yo is probably the last time we baby boomers were actually care free and easy going and had little responsibilities. A time we like to remember. Rod Serling had a field day with stuff like this I recall.

Remember.....baby boomers went to work right out of college and always worked hard and knew to make good decisions. We are self sufficient and strong

Living in our parents basement was unheard of and

We would have laughed if someone offered us hot cocoa and crayons and safe spaces. Lol

We actually became adults at 23....I guess that's why 22 is so appealing. Lol.

Couldn't agree more

My only issue with Dress Codes on any cruise line is that if you have one - enforce it. It's not really fair to those who comply to allow those who don't.

I started this thread off a while ago and these are my sentiments entirely. I am leaving home tomorrow for a few days in Puerto Rico ahead of boarding the Viking Star on Thursday and my smart jeans will be left at home.

The problem with enforcing a Dress Code is that it is only fair that it has been properly communicated ahead of time and I afraid this is where Viking has not been as good as they could have been.

The personalised cruise booklet that I received a few weeks ago showing all my booked excursions and other information, makes no mention of the no jeans policy in the evening, under the dress code section. The FAQ's on the website make no mention of a no jeans policy, so it will come as a surprise to many when they read it in the Viking Daily.

Maybe I will take some jeans after all.......

Neil