Moderno how is the meat quality?

aktravelguru

We are trying to decide whether to use one of our 3 specialty dinners at Moderno. I know we will go to Le Bistro and Cagney's, but the 3rd is in the air. How is the quality of meat and in particular the beef steak (filet) and ribs? We are not huge eaters and i have learned from past experience with these types of restaurants to ignore the salad bar but just wondering if it is worth going here and foregoing a second visit to either Cagney's or Bistro or maybe trying Teppanyaki instead (not usually a favorite for me but the family might enjoy).

On our last cruise..(Gem) was a little bit disappointed in Moderno. Previously we loved the food and salad bar... this time the salad bar was missing many of our favorites. Meat quality good..but we did find the beef offerings all very rich and spiced similarly.

If your family loves MEAT ..it is a good place to try..

We also enjoyed Teppanyaki (our first time was on our last cruise)...

A new experience for us...food was good...fun place..but not our favorite.

I thought the beef cuts (didn't try flank) were good. I love lamb but both cuts were very tough-better in Taste. DH likes pork and enjoyed the loin and sausages-more so on the first trip. We didn't eat chicken, but it did appear to be cooked nicely. He likes the pineapple. Le Bistro was the best but also fully booked. Our second trip to Moderno (because Le Bistro was booked) showed us the inconsistency of the meats within a week. Just our opinion. We'd eaten at Moderno for the first time a year and a half ago and loved it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Have eaten at Moderno's x 3. The first time was really good, the second time good, the last time after a menu change on the POA it seemed that every meat was marinated in garlic. I love garlic, but the chicken, pork, beef and lamb had a garlic taste. I also noted that even at peak dining times under sail that the restaurant was underutilized.

We are trying to decide whether to use one of our 3 specialty dinners at Moderno. I know we will go to Le Bistro and Cagney's, but the 3rd is in the air. How is the quality of meat and in particular the beef steak (filet) and ribs? We are not huge eaters and i have learned from past experience with these types of restaurants to ignore the salad bar but just wondering if it is worth going here and foregoing a second visit to either Cagney's or Bistro or maybe trying Teppanyaki instead (not usually a favorite for me but the family might enjoy).

If you have a Rodizio by you, then skip Moderno. It doesn't compare. If you don't, or have never been, then try it. The quality is just acceptable, IMO.

We have eaten at Moderno on the Epic and the Pearl. The Epic was one of the best meals we have ever had on a cruise ship. A year later on the Pearl, it was the worst meal we have ever had on a cruise ship. It was so bad I actually complained to the HD (first time ever). They made it right a few nights later and all was well, but it does seem that the quality varies from ship to ship and year to year. They also changed the recipe for those cheese rolls, ruining them, so what seemed to be destined as our go-to place after the first meal, has become, we'll think about it.

We liked the salad bar, but neither seemed to be fabulous, like we expected from the reviews. The pineapple, on the other hand, is pretty good.

If you like meat and you are hungry, give it a try, though. It's possible you will have an amazing experience.

We've eaten there twice, and the meat variety is excellent, but we found the selections dry and overcooked part of the time. On one ship, perhaps the GEM, we noticed they shared the kitchen with Cagney's and the skewers with meat on them were routinely placed back into the oven. I'll try to describe it ...

The servers come around with skewers with meat. Using the tip of a knife, they slide the meat off the skewer onto your plate. After they make the rounds of the table they return to the kitchen and either re-load the skewer with meat (if empty) or, if there are still some servings on the skewer, place the skewer back into the oven with the existing meat pushed up toward the hilt of the skewer, and sticking out of the oven. This keeps the existing meat out of the oven proper and I assume is to keep it warm. Then, when they are going to make the rounds again with that meat, the meat is pushed down to the end and off they go, along with the skewer with the "freshly cooked" meat on it.

I am guessing that the meat we got that was dry and overcooked was on it's second trip around the dining room, while the meat we got that was tender and tasty was from the "freshly cooked" skewer.

Because it's unpredictable even during the same seating, we don't often go there any longer. I think there are better choices unless you are really in a carnivore mood!

If you are referring to the quality of the meat itself, its the same meat used for everything else aboard ship (only Cagney's has a different grade, per the behind the scenes tour). So the meat itself is standard institutional grade. Preparation quality can vary from night to night depending who is on the grill.

Honestly, we weren't impressed last month on the Escape, as notes land based ones were about the same or better... We found it overseasoned and not well butchered.

I wouldn't honestly pay the cover charge under any case, with the SDP it becomes more of a practical option, but if possible (you didn't say which ship but I am pretty sure all the ones with Moderno have Teppanyaki) I would almost certainly choose Teppanyaki over Moderno. Thought the meat was prepared better, service was better and a fun chef show.

If you have never been to one before and want to try the experience, that would be a decent reason.

Edited by Loonbeam

If you have a Rodizio by you, then skip Moderno. It doesn't compare. If you don't, or have never been, then try it. The quality is just acceptable, IMO.

That is not saying much if it doesn't compare with Rodizio's

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As most have already mentioned, the meat is just okay.... salad bar was great! I could've sat there eating the shrimp salad all day!

The Filets were okay... The flank was really good and my GF enjoyed the 2 lamb servings. I think the biggest issue was that the meat was cooked a little more than I think it should be for a Brazilian steakhouse. Most of the meats were in the Medium-Well category which took quite a bit away from the flavor.

STAY AWAY from the Sausage.. lol.. it tasted like it was in the freezer for years!

The beef cuts in Moderno were excellent; some cuts are much better than others. Take a small slice of each beef cut until you find your favorite. Then, stick to your favorite. The flank, sirloin, and filet were delicious. We're on the Epic next Saturday, 11/19-26, and will use our SDP for Moderno once and Cagney's twice. Ask for surf and turf in Cagney's; last cruise they gave me an 18 ounce boneless ribeye and lobster tail. It was the best meal that I have ever eaten on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think it depends on the ship, and of course everyone has different tastes. Moderno was a nice break because of the salad bar, which had foods not available anywhere else on the ship. For the Jade I'd rank in order of favorites; Le Bistro, Moderno, La Cucina, Cagney's, Tepenaki. We found the filet at Le Bistro to be a much better cut than the filet in Cagney's. We ordered the 8 oz filet in Cagney's. If I were to try Cagney's again I'd go for the 5 oz in hopes of receiving a better cut.

The first time we ate at Moderno (Epic 2011) we loved it. Since then we have eatne in Moderno on Jade, Star and Dawn.

Since our first time we have felt that we have just not enjoyed the meat at all. Each time it seemed like things had got a little worse than the previous time. The menu says meats are cooked medium rare. I certainly did not see anything medium rare on our last cruise on Dawn in January. Everything was just dry and cooked to a cinder. When we sailed on Dawn again in May we didn't go. It will take a lot to get me back again.

We ate at Moderno's on the Gem last February. Every piece of meat was dried out, pretty much the same as our steaks at Cagney's; same kitchen. But we really enjoyed the salad bar at Moderno's as well as the papaya cream dessert, and we went back a second night and just had salad and dessert.

We had a fabulous dinner at Teppanyaki.

We cruised on the Getaway last year and ate in Modernos, Teppanyaki, LeBistro, and Cagney's twice. We ate one dinner in the MDR. The food in the specialty restaurants were always well prepared; I like my beef medium to medium rare and it was always just right. As for cuts of steak, I prefer ribeye to filet, a much tastier cut in my opinion. I highly recommend the 18 ounce ribeye in Cagney's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app